Going solar?

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thought about getting some clean energy for the crib, trying to figure out the best route. Solar City just came by, I like their style but in their program they would still own the panels, I'm not feeling that. I basically have a small house and want to get off the grid, but technology keeps advancing to where I'm not sure whatever I go with won't be outdated in say 5 years.

Any panel people around here?

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dcr & I are in the process of getting solar on our house, with Solar City. The GOOD thing about them owning the panels is that they are responsible for them. Anything happens, they fix/replace them, for the full 20 years. At the end of the 20 years, as well, they won't want them back (as technology will have improved) so you get to keep them.

I can't see any reason not to get solar. You pay for your electricity at a flat rate for 20 years--SRP, APS raise their rates every year.

We debated paying for the electricity outright upfront (and therefore would only have a ~$20 electric bill forever) but ultimately dcr didn't want to and it doesn't much matter to me.

If you are planning on moving out of state at any time, however, they can't go with you. In-state, they will move them for you.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would really appreciate a review of Solar City once you're up and running if you get a chance. We were considering them as well on the recommendation of a friend who is really happy with them.

Yelp reviews are either great or bad it seems and the BBB complaints are pretty brutal, so would really like to hear your take.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Also, if anyone is interested--let us refer you through our sales rep. We get a $250 referral bonus & we'd be happy to split it with you.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
dcr & I are in the process of getting solar on our house, with Solar City. The GOOD thing about them owning the panels is that they are responsible for them. Anything happens, they fix/replace them, for the full 20 years. At the end of the 20 years, as well, they won't want them back (as technology will have improved) so you get to keep them.

I can't see any reason not to get solar. You pay for your electricity at a flat rate for 20 years--SRP, APS raise their rates every year.

We debated paying for the electricity outright upfront (and therefore would only have a ~$20 electric bill forever) but ultimately dcr didn't want to and it doesn't much matter to me.

If you are planning on moving out of state at any time, however, they can't go with you. In-state, they will move them for you.
The only hang up I have is the ownership thing, I kinda want to own everything. Since our roof is so small we thought about the other pay package, but I'm still shopping.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave