Glendale Ending Coyotes lease after 21-22 season

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So how they going to use the building after they leave? I highly doubt they will fill it up with enough concerts to make it worth keeping it open.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The upcoming season could be the last for the Coyotes in Arizona. Houston will definitely try and bring the Coyotes there.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing Glendale is looking for a long-term lease.

Pretty good way to put the screws to the team, no doubt, by announcing this now.

I can't really think of anyplace else to play in AZ, so something will need to be done.

I hope Glendale has a plan to replace 40-odd games a year. There aren't that many arena concerts and RV shows can only go so far and don't really pack the bars and restaurants at Westgate. Glendale may think they've got some good stuff going right now, but the only two unique things over there are NHL and NFL games. Everything else is available in nicer parts of the valley and closer to the money.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The upcoming season could be the last for the Coyotes in Arizona. Houston will definitely try and bring the Coyotes there.
Meruelo and his family seem to have no interest in leaving. They all bought homes here and seem focused on making things work. Already talks/plans for a new place in the East Valley underway - which has always been where the majority of the Yotes' fanbase has lived.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read something (can't find it now) that says Glendale cannot officially put this into motion until January 1st 2022 and then its after the following full season. So what I read is correct, they have two seasons left. Enough time to build a new place.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The City of Glendale stated that it aims for an “increased focus on larger, more impactful events and uses of the city-owned arena.”

Stay classy, Glendale. SMH.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much longer can fans take the bad product and constant arena/relocation drama? Coyotes fans are definitely built different in terms of loyalty.

They certainly haven't made it easy to be a fan! The game is tremendous live, that's all I can say.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great and all, but Tempe's decision is probably months away, and they need to figure out a solution in the meantime with Glendale. You can't build an NHL arena in time for next season even if everything goes perfectly with Tempe.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also how long does it take to build a new arena? I would suspect years. The Coyotes will need a temporary home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose