Glendale Ending Coyotes lease after 21-22 season

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of this season's 10 games, only 5 were played on Sundays.
So 5 games versus dozens.

Two were preseason. One was a Saturday

So only two regular season games were on a weeknight.

Not Sure why you’re trying to be argumentative or being so obtuse that you can’t see the difference

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 5 games versus dozens.

Two were preseason. One was a Saturday

So only two regular season games were on a weeknight.

Not Sure why you’re trying to be argumentative or being so obtuse that you can’t see the difference
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not arguing anything, I just said that the Cards facility should have been built in the East Valley also, but said for 10 games we'll make that trek to the West side. We are hoping the Yotes get something done in the East Valley because we'll go to many more games if they do.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Horrible choice for the Cardinals too, but many of us will make the trek over to Nowheresville, AZ 10 times a season.
Hey Brian. I am going to the Coyotes game tonight. Being a weekday and a Friday the traffic will be terrible with everyone heading up north. My drive to the Cardinals' games on Sunday is speed limit plus all the way. On the weekday games we tailgate on the Great Lawn and get there 4 hours early when the gates open. So traffic is still pretty light then for us. I would go to more Coyotes games if they were more centrally located.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Brian. I am going to the Coyotes game tonight. Being a weekday and a Friday the traffic will be terrible with everyone heading up north. My drive to the Cardinals' games on Sunday is speed limit plus all the way. On the weekday games we tailgate on the Great Lawn and get there 4 hours early when the gates open. So traffic is still pretty light then for us. I would go to more Coyotes games if they were more centrally located.

Give Marchand the one finger salute for me!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not arguing anything, I just said that the Cards facility should have been built in the East Valley also, but said for 10 games we'll make that trek to the West side. We are hoping the Yotes get something done in the East Valley because we'll go to many more games if they do.
Cardinals have a fan base that is much more wide spread / not just East Valley like

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Horrible choice for the Cardinals too, but many of us will make the trek over to Nowheresville, AZ 10 times a season.

Unless you’re in Mesa/Gilbert or something out there it’s a pretty easy trip a handful of times a year.

For any non-football sport it’s a disaster. I don’t remember the thought process 20 years but was that the Coyotes only viable option?

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Unless you’re in Mesa/Gilbert or something out there it’s a pretty easy trip a handful of times a year.

For any non-football sport it’s a disaster. I don’t remember the thought process 20 years but was that the Coyotes only viable option?

The best choice, and I guess it almost happened, was the Los Arcos site. That would have been so much better. Forgot what nixed that site though. Seemed like politics more than anything at the time. I was living a mile south of the Los Arcos site at the time, so maybe I'm a tad biased... :)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have not been to the ASU site. I have driven that area around noon, and traffic sucks. Hopefully people here will give us tips on how to make it there better!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best choice, and I guess it almost happened, was the Los Arcos site. That would have been so much better. Forgot what nixed that site though. Seemed like politics more than anything at the time. I was living a mile south of the Los Arcos site at the time, so maybe I'm a tad biased... :)
If there been built there I would be able to see the arena from my backyard.
It was not built because of city and neighborhood opposition. I did not live there at the time but the site is a mile and a half both north and west freeway access so that really would’ve put a burden on the local streets

Good freeway access is needed and on or near light rail

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playoff hockey is absolutely awesome. We just gotta get an arena. Going to the games at America West was good times.
We average 6000 fans a night for a team in the lowest form of Professional hockey with the Winterhawks. We have a cool stadium next to the Moda Center that holds 13,000 and was redone for hockey in 2013. They play playoff games at the Moda Center too. Portland would love it and have an instant rivalry with the Kraken!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
The best arena location to drive attendance is one where you don't finish in the basement every year with virtually no hope of success, future prospects or even exciting hockey

I was a college kid in Philadelphia 20 years ago when I watched my sharks knock them out in round 1

Since then they've had 4 playoff appearances, twice bowing out in the 3rd round

In that time they've finished 4th in the Pacific division 7x, 5th 5x, 5th 1x, 7th 1x and 8th 1x

That's almost 75% of the seasons for the past 2 decades where they will not finish greater than 4th in their division

You could put the stadium in the middle of Chicago and they still wouldn't draw until you fix that consistently

All the hand wringing is irrelevant

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We average 6000 fans a night for a team in the lowest form of Professional hockey with the Winterhawks. We have a cool stadium next to the Moda Center that holds 13,000 and was redone for hockey in 2013. They play playoff games at the Moda Center too. Portland would love it and have an instant rivalry with the Kraken!
Horrible post ...Arizona Coyotes screw that Portland crap

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horrible post ...Arizona Coyotes screw that Portland crap
Nah, its realistic. You may not like it, but the Coyotes have in this situation for about 15 years now. Phoenix just isn't a hockey town and that's ok. I bet is they went head to head, the Phoenix Rising FC would out draw the Coyotes.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Nah, its realistic. You may not like it, but the Coyotes have in this situation for about 15 years now. Phoenix just isn't a hockey town and that's ok. I bet is they went head to head, the Phoenix Rising FC would out draw the Coyotes.
Yeah - no

Also, while pumping Portland minor league attendance, keep in mind that Phoenix was a successful minor league hockey city as well and that professional hockey existed before the Suns

A 13,000 capacity arena isn't great - the coyotes typically average a bit more than that even with all their distress

There was a time when they'd pull 15,000 + a game in Glendale

Then a lockout, losing the ASG, then an economic crash, ownership turmoil, constant relocation talk and the only constant being a product that was consistently poor and boring

There are like 3 markets in the NHL that would continue to draw through that

The team catches no breaks in anything

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There is videos of the stadium, in full white out mode during play offs for the Yotes. It's all about a winning product. Last game I have been to in person, I believe, Shane Doan was captain. They were crap that year, but way better crap than now. Our supposedly best player is Phil Kessel? Old Father Time Kessel can't play his way out of a wet paper sack, Kessel has the personality of a Borg who other Borgs shun because he is too vanilla! I like a couple young guys on the team, but there is absolutely no fire, fight, or charm to this team currently. I cannot wait for a Kessel trade/retirement that will upgrade the team by subtraction! Please god let Kessel go to a contender this season!!!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is videos of the stadium, in full white out mode during play offs for the Yotes. It's all about a winning product. Last game I have been to in person, I believe, Shane Doan was captain. They were crap that year, but way better crap than now. Our supposedly best player is Phil Kessel? Old Father Time Kessel can't play his way out of a wet paper sack, Kessel has the personality of a Borg who other Borgs shun because he is too vanilla! I like a couple young guys on the team, but there is absolutely no fire, fight, or charm to this team currently. I cannot wait for a Kessel trade/retirement that will upgrade the team by subtraction! Please god let Kessel go to a contender this season!!!

Listen, I'd love to see them succeed in Phoenix. I went one of the first ever game and then many more after that. Phoenix just never embraced hockey and the ownership groups haven't had the means to put competitive teams together. I remember way more Blackhawk fans in the stadium when I went with my dad.

Since the year 2000, they've made the playoffs 5 times and 10 times total in 25 seasons. The Jets made the playoffs 11 times in 17 seasons and moved. I need a new ownership group who actually can spend and hopefully they don't move them.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Listen, I'd love to see them succeed in Phoenix. I went one of the first ever game and then many more after that. Phoenix just never embraced hockey and the ownership groups haven't had the means to put competitive teams together. I remember way more Blackhawk fans in the stadium when I went with my dad.

Since the year 2000, they've made the playoffs 5 times and 10 times total in 25 seasons. The Jets made the playoffs 11 times in 17 seasons and moved. I need a new ownership group who actually can spend and hopefully they don't move them.
That's one of the problems with the Valley sports in general. People that move here, like Blackhawks fans, have no reason to switch to Arizona teams. Heck, I am guessing 10-20% of the valley residents are from Illinois. Every time I meet someone and ask where they are from, about half tell me Chicago (or say close enough).

I agree. We need an owner that really wants to win. Two ways to do that. Spend bucks and bring in big names, or build through the draft. So it seems like we are opting for the second approach. However, not paying rent and taxes has me really worried about how deep this ownership groups pockets really are. I am skeptically optimistic. Lets see how this draft goes, we are WAY talent deficient. Let's see if they actually spend the money to get a stadium deal done. New elections coming up, let's see how they step up to get their stadium built.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson