Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
several years too late IMO... but m. shamalamadingdang has been fading.... looks like a desperation move...

but I'll watch it... I think I was one of about 50 of us that liked unbreakable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
several years too late IMO... but m. shamalamadingdang has been fading.... looks like a desperation move...

but I'll watch it... I think I was one of about 50 of us that liked unbreakable.

dude, this ain't desperation at all. He's had two major comeback films/hits in his last two outings with The Visit and Split. Dude bank-rolled the ENTIRE 5 million dollar budget of the Visit and made a boatload of cash there. He can do anything he wants again. And based on those last two movies, I couldn't be more excited for Glass.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
dude, this ain't desperation at all. He's had two major comeback films/hits in his last two outings with The Visit and Split. Dude bank-rolled the ENTIRE 5 million dollar budget of the Visit and made a boatload of cash there. He can do anything he wants again. And based on those last two movies, I couldn't be more excited for Glass.
he had to bankroll the visit...nobody else would, lol... it was poor,..made money on his name
only
I will watch glass,... but more because I like that world and I liked unbreakable

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he had to bankroll the visit...nobody else would, lol... it was poor,..made money on his name
only
I will watch glass,... but more because I like that world and I liked unbreakable

lol... no. He didn't "have to" bankroll The Visit. Blumhouse or Uni would have put up 5 million. He CHOOSE to do so so he could have control again. And he hit a solid double. The Visit is a pretty wicked little horror film.

And his name didn't make him squat on that movie. His name was BEYOND MUD after Lady In The Water and The Happening, not to mention After Earth. And ALL of those movies had "his name" PLUS mega-stars in them like Will Smith and Mark Wahlberg and STILL made less than the completely starless Visit. The Visit made money because people liked it. Same with Split.

It's okay to just say "I was wrong" when you don't have a clue what you're talking about oaken.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

His name was pretty down in the mud before these films. If there was any desperation it was to return to something more intimate. Honestly, I don't think he probably even felt that way while making a few of his next films. It felt like he wanted to return to something more focused and intimate but got side tracked by the spectacle of After Earth.

For me it started with The Devil, then Visit and then Split. Put it into perspective. Unbreakable did 248 million worldwide, only 95 Million domestic but more than made back his budget (75 million) and is considered a fan favorite.

Split just outdid (what we now know) the original, Unbreakable, pulling in 278 million worldwide, $138 domestic with only a production budget of 9 million. Let that sink in.

He hit Split out of the park and that gave him the green light to do Glass. I am not saying he is all the way back reputation wise but he certainly isn't in desperation mode right now. If Glass is a total bomb? Well he might be again. I don't think he has the latitude he did before but you have to give the guy credit where credit is due.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
lol... no. He didn't "have to" bankroll The Visit. Blumhouse or Uni would have put up 5 million. He CHOOSE to do so so he could have control again. And he hit a solid double. The Visit is a pretty wicked little horror film.

And his name didn't make him squat on that movie. His name was BEYOND MUD after Lady In The Water and The Happening, not to mention After Earth. And ALL of those movies had "his name" PLUS mega-stars in them like Will Smith and Mark Wahlberg and STILL made less than the completely starless Visit. The Visit made money because people liked it. Same with Split.

It's okay to just say "I was wrong" when you don't have a clue what you're talking about oaken.
... my taste must be odd..I really dig After Earth...

I was excited about the visit... but it just wasnt that good and most of the comments I heard coming out of the theater leads me to believe I aint the only one who thought so... the marketing was fantastic...it looked like it was gonna be a top notch poop shooter,...but it just wasnt...

if his name was beyond mud...what makes you think those companies would have dropped him five mil?
if his name was beyond mud,...seems more like they wouldnt even take his calls...?

was it a work of passion like when Mel Gibson bank rolled Passion of the christ?....or was it a guy who was desparate to get something out there in an effort to prove he wasnt....mud?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Totally agree. The Visit was an instant horror classic, great twist to it that I didn't see coming. 65% aggregate on Rotten Tomatoes is really good when you consider that most horror movies are completely panned by critics. Hell most of the horror movies that get above a 70% are trash as far as being actual good horror movies, and are usually getting high marks because non-horror fans like the cinematography or some other aspect.

Split was good all around too.

I am a self-avowed hater of most of M's movies, and I didn't even know that he made the visit until after I saw it.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's nice to be actually excited about a M. Night film again! Can't wait to see where this goes!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
To me, Unbreakable wasn't bad until the end, when he ended it with credits, telling what happen the the characters rather then playing it out. Just ended dumb.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, Unbreakable wasn't bad until the end, when he ended it with credits, telling what happen the the characters rather then playing it out. Just ended dumb.

yeah... he couldn't figure out how to end that sucker. a bunch of text on screen to end it was pretty damn meh on a great movie otherwise.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was really pumped for this movie (and still am), but that trailer didn't light me up for some reason.

Maybe it's Sarah Paulson. I can't stand that actress.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i was really pumped for this movie (and still am), but that trailer didn't light me up for some reason.

Maybe it's Sarah Paulson. I can't stand that actress.
Yeah the other two kinda had twists. I’m unsure this one has a twist. At least the trailer seemed so straightforward.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Do I need to watch split to make sense of his character?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how McAvoy wasn't nominsted for an Academy award for his role in Split. But I'm looking forward to this movie big time.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glass

Release date: January 18, 2019
Studio: Universal Pictures, Buena Vista International
Director: M. Night Shyamalan
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for violence including some bloody images, thematic elements, and language)
Screenwriter: M. Night Shyamalan
Genre: Thriller, Action, Suspense

Starring: Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, James McAvoy, Anya Taylor Joy, Sarah Paulson, Spencer Treat Clark, Charlayne Woodard, Adam David Thompson

Plot Summary: M. Night Shyamalan brings together the narratives of two of his standout originals 2000's "Unbreakable" and 2016's "Split" in one explosive, all-new comic-book thriller: "Glass."

From "Unbreakable," Bruce Willis returns as David Dunn as does Samuel L. Jackson as Elijah Price, known also by his pseudonym Mr. Glass. Joining from "Split" are James McAvoy, reprising his role as Kevin Wendell Crumb and the multiple identities who reside within, and Anya Taylor-Joy as Casey Cooke, the only captive to survive an encounter with The Beast.

Following the conclusion of "Split," "Glass" finds Dunn pursuing Crumb's superhuman figure of The Beast in a series of escalating encounters, while the shadowy presence of Price emerges as an orchestrator who holds secrets critical to both men. - Sarah Paulson joins the film as a psychiatrist who describes herself as someone that specializes in “individuals who believe they are superheroes.” Present among her patients at a Philadelphia asylum are David Dunn, Elijah Price, aka Mr. Glass, and Kevin Wendell Crumb, aka The Horde.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media