Gladiator 2

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I've been following this drama for 20 years lol. If they ever pull it off, just tell me when and where and I'll be there. Gladiator is my favorite film of all time. I'm getting a dog in a few years and his name will be maximus decimus meridius. I can't wait to say that name every day!

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just don't completely butcher this and I'd be ok with the decision.. don't make this like the Farrelly bros redoing dumb and dumber 2 and you should be in the clear. Lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Loved the original Gladiator and 2021’s The Last Duel, so Ridley going back to his element with a great cast has me on board.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The version of Gladiator 2 that I heard was in production hell for the last 2 years had Maximus going full "Quantam Leap"... bouncing around history as some angelic warrior, fixing ancient wrongs.

I reeeeeeeeeally hope they've thrown that idea into the garbage.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The version of Gladiator 2 that I heard was in production hell for the last 2 years had Maximus going full "Quantam Leap"... bouncing around history as some angelic warrior, fixing ancient wrongs.

I reeeeeeeeeally hope they've thrown that idea into the garbage.
That ain’t happening.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Loved the original Gladiator and 2021’s The Last Duel, so Ridley going back to his element with a great cast has me on board.
Last Duel was such a fantastic movie.

Gladiator didn't age well with me in how they butchered the real story of Marcus Aurelius (one of the single greatest men who ever lived) and his son Commodus. Typical Hollywood, destroy a good, real life story just to sell tickets.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Last Duel was such a fantastic movie.

Gladiator didn't age well with me in how they butchered the real story of Marcus Aurelius (one of the single greatest men who ever lived) and his son Commodus. Typical Hollywood, destroy a good, real life story just to sell tickets.
getting to see historical fiction that is rooted in actual events is why Gladiator is one of my all time favorites.
yeah they took artistic license...but holy cow the actors were outstanding. I despised Phoenix for years after that movie...had to wait to watch him play Johnny Cash until about four years after the movie came out...because whenever I looked at him all I saw was Commodus

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They took a metric crap ton of artistic license. Commodus was in fact murdered by a gladiator because of how he staged the fights so that the gladiators would always lose, and he would always win.

Marcus Aurelius wasnt a frail old man when he died. He was still leading battle not too long before he passed and was in excellent shape.

I just get really annoyed when Hollywood changes a story for the sake of narrative. Remember the Titans did this pretty badly...the school had been integrated for years before the team won a state championship as depicted in the movie.

Braveheart was another one that took extreme historic license when they didn't have to.

I get fleshing out characters that history hasn't really fleshed out yet, but changing the events is kind crappy.

A historic figure that I would really like to see on screen would be Hannibal. His campaign in the Italian peninsula is legendary, and he was only 27 years old at the time. But I know Hollywood would screw it up and cast him as a sub Saharan African instead of the Berber he probably was.
getting to see historical fiction that is rooted in actual events is why Gladiator is one of my all time favorites.
yeah they took artistic license...but holy cow the actors were outstanding. I despised Phoenix for years after that movie...had to wait to watch him play Johnny Cash until about four years after the movie came out...because whenever I looked at him all I saw was Commodus

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They took a metric crap ton of artistic license. Commodus was in fact murdered by a gladiator because of how he staged the fights so that the gladiators would always lose, and he would always win.

Marcus Aurelius wasnt a frail old man when he died. He was still leading battle not too long before he passed and was in excellent shape.

I just get really annoyed when Hollywood changes a story for the sake of narrative. Remember the Titans did this pretty badly...the school had been integrated for years before the team won a state championship as depicted in the movie.

Braveheart was another one that took extreme historic license when they didn't have to.

I get fleshing out characters that history hasn't really fleshed out yet, but changing the events is kind crappy.

A historic figure that I would really like to see on screen would be Hannibal. His campaign in the Italian peninsula is legendary, and he was only 27 years old at the time. But I know Hollywood would screw it up and cast him as a sub Saharan African instead of the Berber he probably was.
That's simply not how movies work. There are a lot of things to take into consideration when trying to put a story that is rooted in history on the big screen. At the end of the day, it has to be cinematic while telling an engaging story. And it has to fit in 2-3 hours. You will never see anything that is going to be exact. In that case, it becomes a re-enactment, and real life is frequently not as straight forward as a 2 hour film can portray.

If you are holding out for a truly historically-accurate big budget multiplex epic, you will wait forever, because that will never happen.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

and thats what happened.. Commodus had Maximus set up to lose prior to the fight. Then Maximus murdered his ass anyway.

if they wanted to go into full detail on commodus and his treachery they would have to flesh out the gladiators as not just slaves but rock stars...men who usually lived through combat even if they lost the fight. Thats the only way they could show the depth of his treachery.
That would/could take an entire movie all on its own.