Getting ready for the playoffs

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Everyone has their own ideas, what you would do if you were coaching the Suns to get ready for the playoffs.

This year it is so even that, all rounds are going to be tough. The winner in the west will be the one who can still win despite adversity. All teams will attack the weaknesses of the opponent in each series, so even if they win there will be a cumulative effect.

So, if I was coaching the Suns, I see two weaknesses

Playing without Nash and fouls on Amare and Shaq. So the best way to make us unbeatable would be to:

1) Make sure I have a tested backup plan for Nash, ready for the playoffs just in case. If he twists an ankle and is out half a game or more I dont want to lose the whole season. I mean I want to see a combination of Boris, Hill or DJ running point for a whole quarter without Nash. Can we do it or are we only able to play effectively with Nash? I think we can do it without him for a short while if we have to, but only if we prepare for it. We have time to do it.

When we play a weak team, I want to see the regulars in there without Nash.(like if he wasn't able to play) ---We are sunk if he is out for a couple of playoff games now, and we dont have to be sunk if we are already prepared for that scenario.

All teams know, without Nash, we suck. So they are going to throw everything at him. Physical play, full court pressure, run his man through endless screens, anything to wear him down. (remember last year, head butt-accidental but we lost that close game because of it, knee to groin, hip check into the table, Bowen hacking and leg humping all game..., all that stuff was done with one purpose, to get Nash worn out and out of the game. It will continue this year.

Let's use the games left to get ready. I would not play Hill with just the bench anymore during a blowout. What does this do? We will never play this way when it matters, so blend the bench with the starters when the opportunity is there-like when we are up 14 or more.

2) Play Skinner more minutes with the regulars because other teams are going to attack Amare and Shaq in the playoffs, and they will be in foul trouble. Skinner must be used to playing either position with our regular guys and they must be used to playing with him.

Come on D'antoni, Shaq even said this is the best team 1 though 12 that he has ever played on. So get them used to playing with each other. Blended 10 deep would be unbeatable. 8 deep and we are one injury from wearing down in a tough series.

I know you know this but, they are all going to be tough this year. We need to be ready 10 deep.

also why not start Guiricek against the Rockets instead of Barbosa. We dont want T-Mac getting on a roll. If Hill gets switched off who will guard him- Barbosa or Nash- I dont think so.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The winner in the west will be the one who can still win despite adversity.
On the contrary, I think the winner will be the team that does not encounter adversity. This has been the case pretty much every year, but it should be even more evident this year when all eight teams are playing at such a high level.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
This is how the playoffs will unfold, it came to me when I was on the throne:

1. Lakers
2. Suns
3. NOH
4. Utah
5. SAS
6. Dal
7. Houston
8. Warriors

Lakers def Warriors
Suns def Rockets
NOH def Dallas
Spurs def Utah

Spurs def Lakers
Suns def NOH

Suns def Spurs

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
This is how the playoffs will unfold, it came to me when I was on the throne:

1. Lakers
2. Suns
3. NOH
4. Utah
5. SAS
6. Dal
7. Houston
8. Warriors

Lakers def Warriors
Suns def Rockets
NOH def Dallas
Spurs def Utah

Spurs def Lakers
Suns def NOH

Suns def Spurs

Suns vs. Hornets would be really close. To be honest, i would like to avoid playing them if possible. Forget youth, that team can flat out play.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Suns vs. Hornets would be really close. To be honest, i would like to avoid playing them if possible. Forget youth, that team can flat out play.

IMO, most favorable to least favorable matchups for us:

1. Hou
2. Dal
3. GS
4. Utah
5. Spurs
6. Lakers
7. NOH

LavaLamp2

Registered
Reaction score
WuRaider, while you were on the throne, did you also have any visions about the Eastern Conference... at the very least which team is coming out of the East?

LavaLamp2

Registered
Reaction score
NOH and Lakers have not yet played the new-look Suns with Shaq integrated, right?

Suns are surely tougher for them now. Whether Suns can prevail is the question.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
WuRaider, while you were on the throne, did you also have any visions about the Eastern Conference... at the very least which team is coming out of the East?

It doesn't take too much vein popping to figure out that its gonna be Boston or Det coming out of the east.

NOH and Lakers have not yet played the new-look Suns with Shaq integrated, right?

Suns are surely tougher for them now. Whether Suns can prevail is the question.

Actually, Shaq has faced them but in the early stages. The dangerous thing about NOH is that they have the same confidence against us that GS had against the Mavs. Pargo must be shooting 80% against us for the season. I think we can still take them but it has to be won on the defensive end.

As much as I hate the Lakers, they are kicking ass even without Gasol and Bynum. That team is 12 deep, no other team in the league can say that. With Shaq cleaning up the boards and clogging the middle on defense, I like our chances against them.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
It doesn't take too much vein popping to figure out that its gonna be Boston or Det coming out of the east.

last year everyone said detroit too. Too bad they got beaten by the best player in the eastern conference. Don't sleep on the cavs, they have beaten both Boston and Detroit this year and a guy who averages 31/8/7 should not be taken lightly by any means.

Cleveland Vs Detroit in the ECF, from there i can't say for sure. If i had to guess, Cleveland in 6 again.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score

Actually, Shaq has faced them but in the early stages. The dangerous thing about NOH is that they have the same confidence against us that GS had against the Mavs. Pargo must be shooting 80% against us for the season. I think we can still take them but it has to be won on the defensive end.

As much as I hate the Lakers, they are kicking ass even without Gasol and Bynum. That team is 12 deep, no other team in the league can say that. With Shaq cleaning up the boards and clogging the middle on defense, I like our chances against them.

Boston is also about 12 deep.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My ideal scenario would be something like

1. lakers
2. suns
3. hornets
4. jazz
5. spurs
6. mavs
7. rockets
8. warriors

This is very possible. It keeps spurs/lakers/jazz on the opposite side of the bracket. I don't care what anyone says the best first round matchup out of anyone is houston.

We would have to take on hornets/mavs in the second round. I would want N.O. simply from a youth standpoint, but N.O./mavs series could go either way. Maybe better if N.O. takes on warriors in second, putting spurs/lakers/jazz/mavs all on one side.

1. lakers
2. hornets
3. suns
4. jazz
5. spurs
6. rockets
7. warriors
8. mavs

Very little chance the mavs drop to 8 though. This would be the perfect scenario, but the first scenario actually is more plausible.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You guys do know that all these scenarios are impossible right? There is no possible way for the Lakers and Suns to finish 1/2 in playoff matchups. If the Lakers win the Pacific, at BEST we could get the 4th seed.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You guys do know that all these scenarios are impossible right? There is no possible way for the Lakers and Suns to finish 1/2 in playoff matchups. If the Lakers win the Pacific, at BEST we could get the 4th seed.
Actually we can be a #2 seed even if the Lakers win the Pacific. Division winners are guaranteed a top 4 seed, but teams are still ordered by record.

For example, if New Orleans wins the southwest, Utah wins the northwest, LA wins the Pacific and we have a better record than both NO & Utah then we'd be #2 and NO & Utah would be 3 & 4.

Last edited:

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Come on chap, don't you remember the rule change after all the s.a./dallas bitching 2 years ago?

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score

Chap you're a knowledgeable poster but you slipped here. The 3 division winners and the the team with the next best record are slotted 1-4 based on record.

Don't let it happen again. :slap:

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
last year everyone said detroit too. Too bad they got beaten by the best player in the eastern conference. Don't sleep on the cavs, they have beaten both Boston and Detroit this year and a guy who averages 31/8/7 should not be taken lightly by any means.

Cleveland Vs Detroit in the ECF, from there i can't say for sure. If i had to guess, Cleveland in 6 again.

The refs gave the Cavs that series. There's a chance DET doesn't get to the ECF but Boston defintely will.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap you're a knowledgeable poster but you slipped here. The 3 division winners and the the team with the next best record are slotted 1-4 based on record.

Don't let it happen again. :slap:

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. For some reason, I was thinking that division winners are guaranteed a top 3, but then I realized, "Wait. That's what it USED to be." So yeah, I screwed up. :shrug:

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
Yeah, I realized that after I posted. For some reason, I was thinking that division winners are guaranteed a top 3, but then I realized, "Wait. That's what it USED to be." So yeah, I screwed up. :shrug:

That's what I thought too haha

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
The refs gave the Cavs that series. There's a chance DET doesn't get to the ECF but Boston defintely will.

you are the first one i have ever head complain about the reds giving the cavs that series. name me a few incidences where the cavs got a call that you can remember. there really weren't any, it was even. Ask just about any pistons fan on this planet and they will tell you that lebron beat them, not the refs. Did the refs score 25 points in a row, and 29 of the cavs last 30 to win game 5? no. Lebron did. Did the refs allow a rookie, Daniel Gibson, to drop 31 points in game 6 to beat the pistons? not at all. The cavs won fair and square.

If anything, i would say Detroit has a far better chance to get to the ECF because they won't have to meet the cavs before then. As it is, detroit would play Phili and then probably orlando. They can easily beat both of those two teams. Boston will have to play whoever winds up with the 8th seed, and then the cavs. They have a much harder route simply because they have to meet a guy like lebron who can take over a game and do everything it takes to win.

Last edited:

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I'll admit it, I didn't watch a single game of that series. I'm just going off on Sheed's complaints and that fact that Lebron traveled on his game winning layups.