Get ready to trade down… more than once.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
been thinking on this and I am not so sure he trades back.
dude is a first time GM, and he wants to make his mark, he also knows a guys first pick is important. It sets the tone.
then you look at what he has been doing. scouring the waiver wire and scouting udfa... dude has been churning the bottom of the roster.
seems a guy like that would want to prove he can pick a superstar player too, not just scrubs.
we just lost JJ Watt,...and we just lost Chandler Jones... he was in TN last year, he remembers chandler jones.
The biggest move he can make is to replace those guys with a superstar pass rusher. its a pick that garners him instant approval from both fans and his peers.
now, we all know...if we could trade for the right combination of picks and get a starting center, a DT, and a WR to replace Hop... thats probably the smarter move in the long run. But the odds of hitting on multiple picks are slimmer than just hitting on one.
so I kinda think he is gonna play it safe this year. make the obvious pick, garner the positive press that comes with it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I liked Leftwich as well. I was certain he was going to be a star.

I wouldn't judge Leftwich on this season. That O line was massively beat up. Godwin took a while to get back to up to speed from injury. The defense took a step back.

He didn't do himself any favors either in showing he could deal with adversity though. But then McVay had similar issues this year and didn't either.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oof, I think I wanted him too. I wanted Big Ben over Larry too.

I think you can argue for Ben over Larry. Ben was a very good NFL QB for 14 years. As good as Larry was you can argue they would have been better with Ben at QB than the revolving door of crap we had for most of Bens career.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think you can argue for Ben over Larry. Ben was a very good NFL QB for 14 years. As good as Larry was you can argue they would have been better with Ben at QB than the revolving door of crap we had for most of Bens career.
Sure, and I don't mind that opinion in retrospect. Leftwich over Suggs did not age well, though.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Hard to argue in favor of foregoing the Warner/Fitz super bowl year for Big Ben, not knowing what he would have become or done as a Cardinal. Probably have been a good QB, but would he have taken us to a super bowl?

I am not sure I would be willing to give up my most fun moment in Cardinal history to see what Big Ben might or might not have done for us. No, I just would not have given up Larry for any blue sky QB knowing he would be playing on a team full of Cardinals.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hard to argue in favor of foregoing the Warner/Fitz super bowl year for Big Ben, not knowing what he would have become or done as a Cardinal. Probably have been a good QB, but would he have taken us to a super bowl?

I am not sure I would be willing to give up my most fun moment in Cardinal history to see what Big Ben might or might not have done for us. No, I just would not have given up Larry for any blue sky QB knowing he would be playing on a team full of Cardinals.

You draft Big Ben it changes every subsequent draft and changes the whole Cardinals future. Hard to argue it wouldn't be better without a career franchise QB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
been thinking on this and I am not so sure he trades back.
dude is a first time GM, and he wants to make his mark, he also knows a guys first pick is important. It sets the tone.
then you look at what he has been doing. scouring the waiver wire and scouting udfa... dude has been churning the bottom of the roster.
seems a guy like that would want to prove he can pick a superstar player too, not just scrubs.
we just lost JJ Watt,...and we just lost Chandler Jones... he was in TN last year, he remembers chandler jones.
The biggest move he can make is to replace those guys with a superstar pass rusher. its a pick that garners him instant approval from both fans and his peers.
now, we all know...if we could trade for the right combination of picks and get a starting center, a DT, and a WR to replace Hop... thats probably the smarter move in the long run. But the odds of hitting on multiple picks are slimmer than just hitting on one.
so I kinda think he is gonna play it safe this year. make the obvious pick, garner the positive press that comes with it.
There’s a lot of logic here . . .

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Leftwich’s release was so long and so slow, that I was never ever in his camp. I was DEFINITELY in the Big Ben camp & yes, I would have taken him over Fitz in a heartbeat. QB’s are that important. And I’m a Syracuse fan, so I saw up close and personal how great Fitz would be. But a 1st ballot QB is a bigger game changer than a first ballot WR.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The guy I could never get behind was Blaine Gabbert. I remember people on this board pimping him as the next great QB and I looked at a few of his games at Missouri and dude never completed a pass over seven yards.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Oh the joy of having a great QB you can cheer for every week. I wonder what that is like? Anyone?

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The best thing for us to happen would be the Bears stick and pick either Carter/Anderson, Texans pick a QB then Colts get twitchy seeing us on the phone thinking its the Raiders and then trade their 4th with us and we drop 1 pick and get Carter/Anderson anyway

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Oh the joy of having a great QB you can cheer for every week. I wonder what that is like? Anyone?
Only long term QB I ever seen us have was Jim Hart. Loved the couple of good years that we had with Kurt Warner and Neil Lomax. Thought Lomax and Jake Plummer were going to be long term heroes but didn’t happen.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Only long term QB I ever seen us have was Jim Hart. Loved the couple of good years that we had with Kurt Warner and Neil Lomax. Thought Lomax and Jake Plummer were going to be long term heroes but didn’t happen.
I was all in on Timm Rosenbach.

Did you know that 2020 marked the third year of Timm Rosenbach’s second stint as the Grizzlies' offensive coordinator and quarterback coach. I didn´t know he was still into football.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was all in on Timm Rosenbach.

Did you know that 2020 marked the third year of Timm Rosenbach’s second stint as the Grizzlies' offensive coordinator and quarterback coach. I didn´t know he was still into football.
A gritty QB, loved him. A John snow type tough.

I am stunned he came back at all more or less coaching.

his offensive line was putrid