GERD (Acid Reflux)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, anything can be bad for you, if you over indulge.

And yes, the people that can digest lactose ARE designed to drink non-human milk - we've evolved to exploit a food source, which can happen in a short period of time The ability to process lactose from milk and cheese was a HUGE genetic advantage to people in northern and desert climates.

I have an allergy to a protein that is in beef in large quanities, and in milk in a small amount, and generally processed out of cheese. So I don't consume any beef, and some milk and cheese. That doesn't mean that eating beef is abnormal.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right but it's DEVELOPED, it's not natural. HUmans the species were not born with a tolerance for milk except for mothers milk and that goes away. If you drink breast milk at 6 years old you would get sick because of the lactose because you no longer had lactase in your body. But because people were drinking milk, and it may have been beneficial to them, some developed lactase persistence, which means they continued to make lactase long after they stopped breast feeding.

Theories but there's apparently lots of studies that agree not just the fringe ones. There's a Scientific American one for example that compellingly argues that exact thing

Yes it IS natural. It is a NATURALLY evolved genetic mutation. This is EXACTLY how all genetic mutations develop and spread - if it provides an advantage, it will spread. If not, it will die out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there is a food source, that some humans have evolved to be able to exploit, and it should be ignored because cows didn't originally make it for us?

So by that standard, what do we eat? Eggs? Nope. Meat? Nope Grain? Nope Honey? Nope.

No animal or plant originally evolved with a complete dependence on humans for survival

that's a different argument. the purpose of milk is to feed the young of the species, humans, cows, etc. The argument that we should all be drinking cows milk because it does a body good is mainly marketing, it really isn't something that we're supposed to drink. If you like the taste and can tolerate it by all means drink it but if you can't, it's not that you lack tolerance, it's that you don't have the persistence which is a developed trait.

yes there are MD's who say it has calcium etc that's good for us but you can get that from other foods that don't naturally make us sick.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, anything can be bad for you, if you over indulge.

And yes, the people that can digest lactose ARE designed to drink non-human milk - we've evolved to exploit a food source, which can happen in a short period of time The ability to process lactose from milk and cheese was a HUGE genetic advantage to people in northern and desert climates.

I have an allergy to a protein that is in beef in large quanities, and in milk in a small amount, and generally processed out of cheese. So I don't consume any beef, and some milk and cheese. That doesn't mean that eating beef is abnormal.

OK we agree there but that's developed over time, humans were not designed to drink milk after a certain age and human milk not cows milk. yes there have been benefits to consuming milk. People who are lactase persistent are now able to tolerate milk after a certain age, I don't know if that means they're supposed to drink it, that it's good for them, but they can tolerate it.

i was highly allergic to milk as a small child so it's no surprise at all I don't do well with it now.

I don't think eating meat is abnormal, the main argument I see about that is if it was normal you wouldn't ahve to cook it first. My argument has always been if we weren't supposed to eat meat, we wouldn't have teeth designed to tear food. Vegans argue against that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it IS natural. It is a NATURALLY evolved genetic mutation. This is EXACTLY how all genetic mutations develop and spread - if it provides an advantage, it will spread. If not, it will die out.

OK I didn't see what you were saying before yes I agree it's a developed mutation.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modern agricultural practices likely contribute to many of these issues.

Maximum yield and profit > nutrition