GERD (Acid Reflux)

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I really know nothing about this but is it actually this simple? I ask because it seems that something like the FODMAP diet wouldn't exist if a full panel allergy test could truly solve the mystery.
Inflamation cause havoc in the body. Everybody has it to some degree and it usually shows up as a disease later in life. Take your pick.
My daughter was diagnosed with MS a couple yrs ago. Its in the early stages but it hasnt progressed (thank God) partly because she did get a food allergy test to eliminate all diet inflamatories. Poor thing is allergic to almost everything she loved to eat.
So yes I think its extremely beneficial to know what foods youre allergic to?

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inflamation cause havoc in the body. Everybody has it to some degree and it usually shows up as a disease later in life. Take your pick.
My daughter was diagnosed with MS a couple yrs ago. Its in the early stages but it hasnt progressed (thank God) partly because she did get a food allergy test to eliminate all diet inflamatories. Poor thing is allergic to almost everything she loved to eat.
So yes I think its extremely beneficial to know what foods youre allergic to?

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, best of luck with it.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
when you say mechanical, are you referring to elevating your head? Or something else.

My doctor and I go over the side effects of Nexium - yes, long term can be bad, but so is cancer.

Yes, sleeping with your head inclined is the best method for combating night time GERD. In many cases, that (along with not eating at night, of course) can solve the problem.

There of course can be circumstances where someone has chronic esophageal or pyloric dysfunction that may be creating the problem, and which is likely not going to be alleviated except through more serious medical intervention. But the vast majority of nighttime GERD issues can be addressed by simply elevating your head when you sleep.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 36 years old and recently had an endoscopy done by the gastroenterologist. He confirmed I had GERD and prescribed me pantoprazole. It's a very small pill and honestly I can get away with taking it once every 2 or 3 days. I've tried using digestive enzymes, probiotics, taking hydrochloric acid, and drinking Apple cider vinegar before every meal. All attempts did not fix the issue so I'm totally okay with taking PPIs for the rest of my life if it reduces the chances of esophagal cancer.

I take Pantoprozale too(sp?) and I take it M-F in the morning and then often skip a weekend.

A friend from HS had it much worse then me. She went completely vegan but she said honestly just stopping dairy did it for her with the acid reflux issues. She said she's had doctors tell her outright there's almost no reason to drink or eat anything that comes from cows milk it's designed for cows(babies) not humans to consume. she's VERY militant about it. I've switched to almond milk right now but I still eat cheese and yogurt so I have not gotten off it. But I can absolutely tell real milk 15 minutes later I'm feeling bloated from the acid.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I take Pantoprozale too(sp?) and I take it M-F in the morning and then often skip a weekend.

A friend from HS had it much worse then me. She went completely vegan but she said honestly just stopping dairy did it for her with the acid reflux issues. She said she's had doctors tell her outright there's almost no reason to drink or eat anything that comes from cows milk it's designed for cows(babies) not humans to consume. she's VERY militant about it. I've switched to almond milk right now but I still eat cheese and yogurt so I have not gotten off it. But I can absolutely tell real milk 15 minutes later I'm feeling bloated from the acid.

I hate to say it but I'm unwilling to give that up..

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I'm unwilling to give that up..

Same I love bread with cheese, bread with margarine etc. I use non dairy margarine but still bad for me,as is the bread, and the cheese.

This friend swears by the drop dairy though she cites all sorts of studies that say the milk industry is like the tobacco guys they've done a great job of convincing people it's good for your bones etc but it's apparently the exact opposite. It makes sense the entire point of cow milk is to feed baby cows.

The most fascinating thing I found is that the whole lactose intolerance thing is BS. Humans have lactase as babies to drink mothers milk but then stop making lactase at a certain point, What happened over thousands of years is as people continued to drink more and more milk some became "lactase persistent" and in some cultures, Europe for example as many as 90% of the population is Lactase persistent. So if you can't tolerate milk you're not lactose intolerant you're just not lactase persistent and that's actually natural. In Africa, many parts of Asia etc a large % of people are not lactase persistent.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding milk - the whole "milk isn't for humans, it's for baby cows" from a alleged Dr. ranks upthere with anti-vaxxers.

Humans are omnivores. We eat EVERYTHING and anything. Unless it is actually poisonous, it can be eaten. Should it me eaten, or in moderation? Every food is different.

Lactase persistent allowed the settlement of many northern areas - since hay/grain could be stored, and thus cows could be kept alive year-round, milk was a high fat source of nutrition during the winter. And cheese made it even more accessible by converting a spoilable product into a long-lasting one.

Your friend probably has studies on vaccines, as well. Probably thinks humans weren't designed to eat meat.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW - lactose intolerance is not BS - it is a real thing. Unless of course you think Johns Hopkins, and other leading medical centers are BS.

It is the same though, as lactase persistent - the ability to process lactose after weaning.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This friend swears by the drop dairy though she cites all sorts of studies that say the milk industry is like the tobacco guys they've done a great job of convincing people it's good for your bones etc but it's apparently the exact opposite. It makes sense the entire point of cow milk is to feed baby cows.

The most fascinating thing I found is that the whole lactose intolerance thing is BS. Humans have lactase as babies to drink mothers milk but then stop making lactase at a certain point, What happened over thousands of years is as people continued to drink more and more milk some became "lactase persistent" and in some cultures, Europe for example as many as 90% of the population is Lactase persistent. So if you can't tolerate milk you're not lactose intolerant you're just not lactase persistent and that's actually natural. In Africa, many parts of Asia etc a large % of people are not lactase persistent.

Yeah, the National Dairy Council has a lot to answer for but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Dairy products have reportedly been shown to cause or contribute to problems such as prostate cancer risk, ovarian cancer risk, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis and it puts you at an increased risk for broken bones and also for antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Like PETA says "if she's not your mom, it's not your milk".

I can't say I NEVER have dairy but it is something I try to avoid despite loving the taste of ice cold milk, butter, cheese and of course, ice cream. I slip up every now and then when a pizza calls my name a little too loudly but I know my arthritis problems are much more manageable when I stay far away from it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also note that other cultures (Bedouin, Central Asian, some west African cultures that raise and milk a vary of animals show high rates of lactase persistence.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So there is a food source, that some humans have evolved to be able to exploit, and it should be ignored because cows didn't originally make it for us?

So by that standard, what do we eat? Eggs? Nope. Meat? Nope Grain? Nope Honey? Nope.

No animal or plant originally evolved with a complete dependence on humans for survival

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there is a food source, that some humans have evolved to be able to exploit, and it should be ignored because cows didn't originally make it for us?

So by that standard, what do we eat? Eggs? Nope. Meat? Nope Grain? Nope Honey? Nope.

No animal or plant originally evolved with a complete dependence on humans for survival

There are a lot of reasons we should give up dairy and no one is suggesting it's simply "because cows didn't originally make it for us". That's just a cute little slogan, it's the science that says it's bad for us.

Yes, just over a quarter of the world's population (post-infancy) has adapted to be able to consume milk. That still leaves more than 70% of us in the other group. And while there was probably justification for the consumption of dairy at one time, that was also before they were pumping cows full of antibiotics. For me, the antibiotics, the saturated fat and the increased risk of Prostate Cancer were more than enough to drive me away.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding milk - the whole "milk isn't for humans, it's for baby cows" from a alleged Dr. ranks upthere with anti-vaxxers.

Humans are omnivores. We eat EVERYTHING and anything. Unless it is actually poisonous, it can be eaten. Should it me eaten, or in moderation? Every food is different.

Lactase persistent allowed the settlement of many northern areas - since hay/grain could be stored, and thus cows could be kept alive year-round, milk was a high fat source of nutrition during the winter. And cheese made it even more accessible by converting a spoilable product into a long-lasting one.

Your friend probably has studies on vaccines, as well. Probably thinks humans weren't designed to eat meat.

She doesn't think we should eat meat no. The milk thing is not that we should not drink it, but that we're not designed to drink it. It's relatively new in terms of hstory that man drank milk. We lack the natural enzyme(lactase) to digest it. But they think the reason some developed lactase persistence is that farmers used to get diseases from the livestock, and the theory is that drinking cowsmilk gave us something that helped us avoid those diseases. Cows don't get it because they have this bacteria or whatever it is, so evolution decided it might be good if people consumed the milk that gave us the same protection so people who drank milk developed lactase persistence.

The point is if you can't tolerate lactose that's not abnormal, that's actually the biological norm, it's just many adapted to be able to handle it. I had a doctor treating me for years for the acid issue he says there's 2 things with milk lactose intolerance, which again is actually the norm, and milk allergy. People who have milk allergy it has nothing to do with lactose it's a protein or something they can't handle, it's an allergy not intolerance.

He had a list of things he thought gave me acid including red sauce(pizza, spaghetti) and things like that but he said it was highly likely milk was my biggest issue.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also note that other cultures (Bedouin, Central Asian, some west African cultures that raise and milk a vary of animals show high rates of lactase persistence.

Right but it's DEVELOPED, it's not natural. HUmans the species were not born with a tolerance for milk except for mothers milk and that goes away. If you drink breast milk at 6 years old you would get sick because of the lactose because you no longer had lactase in your body. But because people were drinking milk, and it may have been beneficial to them, some developed lactase persistence, which means they continued to make lactase long after they stopped breast feeding.

Theories but there's apparently lots of studies that agree not just the fringe ones. There's a Scientific American one for example that compellingly argues that exact thing