Georgia OLB Azeez Ojulari - Reddick replacement in Rd 1

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Praxis, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

How are any of those contradictory? Here are the statements I am making:

- We need an upgrade or alternative to Edmonds at RB.
    - I do not envision an upgrade to Edmonds coming from the 5th round or beyond.
    - There are three backs worthy of a 1st/2nd round pick. They would represent upgrades at the position.
    - These three backs will likely not be available when we pick in the 2nd.
    - If they are gone, the remaining backs are probably not worth reaching for compared to other talent on the board and would not be the selection.
    - This would leave us without acquiring a potential adequate back for the 2021 season, barring a trade, in my opinion.

If you believe one of the top 3 will fall to the second round, or that the other RBs ranked behind the top 3 are viable targets with our 2nd pick, then I can understand disinterest in drafting a 1st round RB given our need at CB or other sliding talent. Same with conviction that we'll make a trade that acquires us another mid-round pick.

2. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Actually I think he’s been consistent. Overall my interpretation is he hopes to land one of the top three backs and thinks they won’t be there in second round. He doesn’t like any other rb at 49 for value purposes (hence not wanting to spend that pick on a Carter). He’d be okay if we had a third bc maybe he sees a sermon or gainwell as value picks there. I actually kinda agree with this line of reasoning. I like Carter more than sermon or gainwell, but not more than the wrs, cbs, olinemen, dlinemen, edge that are likely available at 49.

cardncubfan and Solar7 like this.
  3. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

Late round "big backs" to think of:

Khalil Herbert, VA Tech, 5-9, 212. might be there at 160
    Rhamondre Stevenson, OU, 6-0, 246. Likely there at 160
    Trey Ragas, LA Tech, 5-10, 230. might be there at 223

not saying these are starters, but guys who can get tough yards and (hopefully) come in late in games when the Cards are up and running out the clock to save wear and tear on Edmonds.

4. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

So you would rather reach for a RB with the 16th pick than the 49th pick? How on earth does that make sense?

EDIT: That 100% goes against what all data from the playoff teams shows.

Shane and DVontel like this.
  5. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

Boom.

I would even probably come away reasonably happy with Carter or another RB if we drafted him, even though it was kinda a reach, because at least I'd believe the team believes in him or has a plan for him. But I genuinely think we'll end up backing ourselves into a corner by the end of the draft because I think Keim generally plays the "hope our board falls to us" strategy too often. Many years I feel like we're right on the cusp of getting the guy we would have drafted if he had lasted just a couple more picks. Maybe my gut is wrong.

6. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

I don't think an RB at 16 is a reach, is the thing. Najee Harris (not that I clearly prefer him to the other two) would possibly represent the biggest short-term impact player on the board right there in our current situation. Plenty of mocks show him and the other backs going just a few picks after we pick, and all three by the first few picks of round 2. So, I see it as a reach of maybe a few picks, not a round or two like the others options.

It's all well and good that the evidence from the other playoff teams shows that they didn't have first rounders at RB, but we're in a circumstance where we need to do something at a position and have limited resources.

I know plenty of the backs on those playoff teams weren't in the top 3 taken, but we're not looking at 4th or 5th back taken, we're looking at something more akin to 12th-15th back taken.

Stout likes this.
  7. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Fair argument. I know in my mind the rationale (right or wrong) would be I’m more comfortable reaching when it’s for the highest tier talent in the category. But the more I think about it, I’m not sure I would do that in all position groups. I have no idea why I’m inclined to do it for a RB. Maybe bc our AZ history has been so desolate in regards to RB.

Chopper0080 likes this.
  8. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

It all comes down to the amount of the reach and the top level talent of the player.

And I think it's easier to do with an RB because they interact with the ball the 3rd most on the team. The #1 ranked ILB even if he's not a star compared to other years just isn't as alluring.