Georgia OLB Azeez Ojulari - Reddick replacement in Rd 1

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Praxis, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

Yep, we're in a tough, tough spot at the position. Pretty inarguable that we need a starting RB, or at the least a RB that can platoon as a starter. If you're riding with what we have, you're not expecting to make the playoffs. So, we need a RB in the draft at this point. And we don't have the draft capital to really get one. Keim's dug us another hole...again.

Cardsfaninlouky and Solar7 like this.
  2. Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion

I’m not so sure people are advocating a 1st round RB or trying to justify Keim picking one.

I’d be for Kylin Hill or Trey Sermon in the later rounds and go something like Farley and a Wr in the first 2 rounds.

Krangthebrain and juza76 like this.
  3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Your comment about being beaten down by keim echoes in my mind. 2-3 prime years for our first rounder sounds pretty good to this guy . . .

Solar7 likes this.
  4. SECTION 11

SECTION 11 vibraslap

I totally am.

5. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

I'm advocating RB just slightly above CB barring some kind of wild drop from a clear cut amazing player. Seems like the best spot to get a difference maker, and yes, even if that means fewer years than another pick.

6. Ouchie-Z-Clown

It certainly dispelled the myth that rounds 5-7 are the prime spot to locate them.

also, I think there’s a bit of a data issue, for instance are many more second and third round selections because there’s a lot more taken in those rounds? I don’t know that it would change the outlook but the hit rate in each round may be more persuasive.

7. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Sermon will likely go third or fourth round. We don’t have a pick in either round.

Solar7 likes this.
  8. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

I'm not going to break out everything like in the deep dive with that post on the last page, but in the past 5 years...

Rounds 2-3: 18 players
    Rounds 5-7: 56 players

(Rounds 2-4: 41 players)

So, it's not the amount of players.

Roughly counting out the amount of adequate players in the past 5 years (mainly going by guys with 100+ carries/rushes, amount of starts, or significant contribution on limited snaps, like Tarik Cohen), here's the breakout I ended up with from 2016-2020:

[​IMG]

9. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

I think the Cardinals have to either trade down and get more picks, or they may have to reach for a back in the 2nd round of the value isn't good.

Cardsfaninlouky, Stout and juza76 like this.
  10. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

Cleveland - Nick Chubb - 4th RB taken
    Pittsburgh - James Conner - 8th RB taken
    Indianapolis - Jonathan Taylor - 3rd RB taken
    Buffalo - Devin Singletary - 5th RB taken
    Baltimore - JK Dobbins - 5th RB taken
    Tennessee - Derrick Henry - 2nd RB taken
    Kansas City - CEH - 1st RB taken

LA Rams - Cam Akers - 4th Rb taken
    Seattle - Chris Carson - Lots taken before him
    Chicago - David Montgomery - 4th RB taken
    New Orleans - Alvin Kamara - 5th RB taken
    Tampa Bay - Ronald Jones - 5th RB taken
    Washington - Antonio Gibson - 7th RB taken
    Green Bay - Aaron Jones - 19th RB taken

Again...your not looking at the results. Only three of the RBs those teams drafted were in the top 3 RB s drafted in any given year.

Once again, the argument is to sit at our spot in round 2 and let the draft come to us if we are waiting for a RB. The argument is that RBs have shown to be able to contribute right away for teams with solid offensive lines. That the 4th or 5th RB in draft classes are still able to provide solid production. That our roster will have a role for that player immediately and also give our offense another needed weapon.

DVontel and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Chopper0080

The question those who want a RB should be asking is, where do Javonte Williams, Michael Carter, Trey Sermon, Travis Etienne, and Kenneth Gainwell fall in comparisons to each other? Also, what grade do they all have?

If I were to rank a top 5
    1-Najee Harris
    2-Javonte Williams
    3-Travis Etienne
    4-Kenneth Gainwell
    5-Trey Sermon

Truth be told, I am a bit split on Etienne vs Gainwell. Also, I don't really care about short yardage. I would rather have a back who fits the majority of our offense. Role players can be found in rounds 7 or as an UDFA.

DVontel and juza76 like this.
  12. abcard

abcard Registered

Just from watching highlights of Michael Carter it seems he has great field vision. I hate seeing running backs run into their blockers and then try to make their move around them. Carter seems to see what’s ahead and makes his move before he runs into the pile. If I remember correctly while watching the Senior Bowl practices the announcers said Carter increased his value by being there. Besides his running ability I believe they really liked his pass catching ability too. If we could pick up a 3rd round pick I think he would be good in our offense. He’s not a thumper or blazer though.

Cardsfaninlouky and cardncubfan like this.
  13. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

My argument about the top 3 has nothing to do with the amount of guys taken before them, but where I feel there's a cliff in talent/fit. I can come up with arguments for why Harris, Etienne, and Williams are all very sound picks for us, but a Michael Carter, who is generally the next guy up, might not bring enough in variance from Edmonds to be the right pick.

I have mid-round guys I like, but we don't pick there.

14. Chopper0080

I feel like you are changing your argument in this thread and sometimes within the same posts. Here are your contradictory posts within this one thread.

###

Okay, we'll see how many wins we get when the running game is weak and pathetic and the offense sputters as Kyler is having an off day or is a little hurt.

Talent at the RB position actually matters.

Day 2, fine, reasonable, but it gives us one pick as an option, where the top RBs will probably be off the board by the time we pick. Scary position to be in.

I really can't fathom this sudden mindset that any ol' player is gonna come in here and tear it up.

If we had a 3rd rounder, it wouldn't be as panicky, but the position is just paper thin. Even scarier if you don't think all that highly of Edmonds.

It's not so much that I desperately want us to pick an RB in the first, it's that in terms of what draft capital we have, we don't have many opportunities to upgrade the position. If you go back to early March and February, when we had a pick in the top 3 rounds, I wasn't pushing to get one that high.

But the way the board is playing out without our 3rd rounder, it looks like the 1st round is going to be our only chance of moving the needle and getting a talented without a ton of luck. The top three backs will likely be gone by #49, and reaching for a Michael Carter or similar in the 2nd isn't a great move.

I'm not asking for a star, I'm asking for adequate production. And I'm asking to hedge our bets a little bit, since Edmonds has already missed 5 career games due to hamstring injuries, which he also had at Fordham.

The only reason I'm arguing for an RB in the first is because we won't have a shot at the top 3 RBs in the second and don't have a third. I'm all for trading back to acquire a 3rd and drafting an RB there. It's simply a matter of the spot we're in, not philosophical support of needing a 1st round RB all the time.

###

You bounce back between you are afraid to lose out on one of the top three because our offense needs a difference maker at RB to you wouldn't be worried about a RB if we had a 3rd round pick because we just need adequate production from our RBs. Which is it?

EDIT: I just don't understand how you are against RB in round 2 when you are ok with a RB in round 1 OR in round 3 (if we had a pick there).

15. Ouchie-Z-Clown

That’s a much more compelling data set. If we aren’t convinced of a corner available at 16 and none of the wrs/Pitts drops I hope we go oline. Fill in one of the two question marks (hopefully jones competes for the other). Then whatever rb we trot out there has a much better fighting chance.

abcard likes this.