General Impressions from Week 1

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Just looking at the division games did tell us a little. Seattle will be a handful on the ground. They may not have a frightening QB, but they may be able to run the ball like Indy. The combo of Penny & Walker will be tough to contain. If Carroll can control his urge to pass often, they could actually be a ball control team. If not, they figure to establish the run to open up their passing game.

Hopes that the Niners would struggle with Lance starting at QB would seem reasonable. You could see what they liked in him. He’s extremely athletic. He’s a threat to run on every play. He’s got a strong enough arm but his throwing motion is still suspect. He figures to cost them a couple of games, but long term he has a chance to be good.

The Rams are so confident they could have just skipped this preseason game. They even held back most of their second string.

All three teams showed very vanilla defenses offering little in the way of clues to their capabilities.

As I mentioned elsewhere, the Cards front 7 looked surprisingly good. The D-Line looked very competitive and motivated. I know Collins took some heat but he looked at least ordinary to me. The hole at CB looked Grand Canyon in scope. A couple of newcomers looked okay but they weren’t being asked to cover top receivers. The biggest failure was Wilson. When he was drafted I think I covered that the general assessment read he was a fine athlete who simply didn’t play like one. He’s not insubordinate, but coaching just doesn’t seem to register. I’m not sure he even makes the roster, though in the past the team has been reluctant to admit mistakes. Jackson flashed some of the ability he showed in college, but he’s not a shut down corner playing man. He could, however, be a plus factor when playing zone. The Cards are in trouble with this group. Fans can only hope they find some help.

On offense there was no indication the Cards have any hidden gems. The O-Line looked okay. McSorely looked like a third string QB. Guarantano looked like a free UDFA with some ability but not much polish. Likely he’ll not get enough coaching time or reps to be a factor. A little receiver depth stood out as Dortch and Bolden both looked useful. Dortch, in particular, looked to be a special teams asset. The only concern is these two are very similar players. I don’t see both making the roster unless the remaining candidates prove useless. I was surprised McBride didn’t get any action. Nothing special emerged in the running game.

On the whole Cards’ fans learned very little from this game. They seem to have had a competitive camp. Players looked anxious to contend for spots. There’s definitely some enthusiasm built, which has not always been the case. I don’t expect much to change in the next 2 games. I think the Cards are unlikely to expose much. There would definitely be a depth concern on offense, so injury risk would further restrain things. On the whole there is little basis to make any significant projections except with regard to pass defense, which could prove exasperating.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff but hard to get a feel for things in these games as the starters really don't play and the coach doesn't show much. Just want to avoid major injuries. However, do agree with you that CB is the really weak link for the Cards. Keim needs to address this.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Good stuff but hard to get a feel for things in these games as the starters really don't play and the coach doesn't show much. Just want to avoid major injuries. However, do agree with you that CB is the really weak link for the Cards. Keim needs to address this.
Pretty much the only thing I take away from PS games is how well, or bad, a player does in 1 on 1 matchups. Can they hold their own, or dominate, against mostly = talent, or do they get dominated?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You was surprised to not see McBride get any action because he wasn’t suited due to back soreness.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like to hear you see that weird throwing motion out of Trey Lance... seems to have a lower release point, almost a little side arm like Lamar Jackson.

Trey Lance might be Lamar Jackson-lite, which is still good enough to be dangerous. Niners QB room is probably what I'm most interested in this year other than the Cardinals

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I got 2 things out of watching the games.
1. Preseason games get more boring and meaningless to me each year.
2. I just can't stand listening to our TV game commentators. Possibly is the cause of #1 to some degree. I would so much more enjoy listening to national TV sport people do these games. I personally want to hear a balanced more in depth conversation regarding both teams and their players. To me it is currently like listening to a women's knitting circle gossiping. Which, by the way, I gave up attending years ago. These days I much prefer attending the ladies' book club during Romance Novel month.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
My impressions.

JJ didnt look solid at LT.... but he was successful none the less...just wasnt pretty.

Was it just me or did we change our run blocking scheme?? We were using way more motion and pulling than i remember from last season.

For when it is....the defensive front actually looked pretty solid. But they need to be a half step quicker so the backfield isnt exposed.

Any one of those guys we had on offense in the first half can come in for a few snaps or a series and contribute.

Myjai Sanders now knows the truth about the nfl.
The draft is all about the resume, but the interview is in pads.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My impressions.

JJ didnt look solid at LT.... but he was successful none the less...just wasnt pretty.

Was it just me or did we change our run blocking scheme?? We were using way more motion and pulling than i remember from last season.

For when it is....the defensive front actually looked pretty solid. But they need to be a half step quicker so the backfield isnt exposed.

Any one of those guys we had on offense in the first half can come in for a few snaps or a series and contribute.

Myjai Sanders now knows the truth about the nfl.
The draft is all about the resume, but the interview is in pads.
I was embarrassed for him when he couldn’t bring that rb down.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I got 2 things out of watching the games.
1. Preseason games get more boring and meaningless to me each year.
2. I just can't stand listening to our TV game commentators. Possibly is the cause of #1 to some degree. I would so much more enjoy listening to national TV sport people do these games. I personally want to hear a balanced more in depth conversation regarding both teams and their players. To me it is currently like listening to a women's knitting circle gossiping. Which, by the way, I gave up attending years ago. These days I much prefer attending the ladies' book club during Romance Novel month.
I was listening to the Bengals broadcasts.

I'd very much prefer the Cardinals broadcast group.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
National TV people know little or nothing about teams, other than their starters or high draft picks. The only media guys who know about Arizona are the guys who cover the Cardinals. Unless, you are talking about Kyler, D Hop, JJ Watt or Budda Baker. And, maybe a few others. Same is true of other teams, imo.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I tried both. Actually ended to going from the Bengals to the Cards after week 1, despite how much I hate Wolfley. Pasch more than makes up for it. He is very knowledgeable about the game, and isn't afraid to call out Wolfley on his silly comments.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I finally watched the game last night and it was Bengals broadcast...I got excited when they made a comment about Kwammie Lassiter returning a kick, eluding to a story, but then I never heard them follow up.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried both. Actually ended to going from the Bengals to the Cards after week 1, despite how much I hate Wolfley. Pasch more than makes up for it. He is very knowledgeable about the game, and isn't afraid to call out Wolfley on his silly comments.
My wife can't stand Wolfley and I can only stand him for awhile

Makes it hard to watch games with the sound on