Gandhi offseason v. 1

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wanted to post this before Black Monday, since it might be irrelevant by then. I think it is a quite realistic scenario, and although I would be fine with whoever the general manager thinks is the best head coach, and though I would let the head coach decides his assistants, I do have an opinion on the matter and I have made a guess. Mainly because it is fun, but also because it makes for a good discussion.

Front office and coaching staff

General manager – Steve Keim.

It has been well documented that before Keim was hired by the Cardinals the team had no organized scouting-system. Keim took care of that. It has also been reported that he wanted Adrian Peterson over Levi Brown. If that is true, I suppose he wouldn’t have drafted Buster Davis or Cody Brown either. Michael Bidwill is a big fan of Keim, and as he was a finalist for the job with the Rams it isn’t just the Cardinals that think highly of him.

Head coach – Ray Horton.

The defensive players seem to really buy into Horton, both as a playcaller and motivator. I would think that would translate to the offensive players as well. The main knock on Horton as a head coach is that he doesn’t have any experience in that regards. Well, Mike Smith had never been a head coach before he was hired by the Falcons, Mike Tomlin didn’t have any experience at the job either before being appointed by the Steelers, John Harbaugh is another example before the Ravens made him head coach. Of the longer tenured head coaches, Andy Reid had not been a head coach before coming to the Eagles and neither had Mike McCarthy before becoming the head coach of the Packers. You got to start somewhere, and I believe Horton have what it takes.

Offensive coordinator – Todd Haley.

Binkar have pretty much covered this in another thread. My main points for Haley being available are that I think someone has to pay for the Steelers not making the playoffs. Mike Tomlin is safe as the head coach, Dick LeBeau is safe as the defensive coordinator, so Haley might be the odd man out. Also, there have been multiple reports that he is not getting along with Ben Roethlisberger. Both Bidwill and Keim seem to think highly of Haley.

Defensive coordinator – Keith Butler.

Actually, I don’t think the Steelers would let Butler go. I only wrote him down because he is a known name on this board but my point is to hire someone who knows Horton’s defensive philosophy. That means either promote someone from the current staff, hire someone from the Steelers or hire someone from the Packers.

I would also change the rest of the offensive staff, but since I don’t really have any ideas to who they might target I will only say that I think they should hire an offensive line-coach that runs a zone blocking scheme. I think the personnel are best suited for that.

Free agency – in-house

Re-sign

Michael Adams – I like Money Mike. I think he is a good role-player and a really good special teamer. He seems to always be on the bubble at training camp but that is fine by me. At least that means he pushes everyone else to their limit.

Nick Eason – He knows the system and he provides depth. I think he is a good player to have on the roster.

Vonnie Holliday – It’s the same argument as for Eason. Furthermore those two could be good mentors for anyone new.

Quentin Groves – I like Groves. He might be getting his act together, and if not, well, he pushes the starters and does his job fairly well when his name is called.

Rashad Johnson – First of all I have to say, do not in any circumstance let Adrian Wilson leave. He simply has to retire a Cardinal. That said, I think Johnson is finally beginning to understand some aspects of the game that he has been struggling with previously. I like to have him on the roster.

Paris Lenon – I would definitely start looking for his replacement, but he is still a decent player and most importantly to me, he could help bringing someone else along for his spot. Like with some of the other re-signings I have listed, I don’t see the harm in giving him a somewhat low deal and at least bringing him to camp.

James Sanders – He has provided good depth and I think he can be trusted when needed.

LaRod Stephens-Howling – I don’t envision him to be the starter or anything but I do think he can be a solid #3 runningback and he is a very good special teamer.

Let them leave

D’Anthony Batiste – I have to admit, I had higher expectations for Batiste after seeing him play decent two offseasons in a row. Anyway, he had his shot and he failed miserably.

Brian Hoyer – I would really like to make some changes on this quarterback-mess so even though I have nothing against Hoyer I just don’t see him as anything worth keeping.

Pat McQuistan – Simply not good enough.

Rich Ohrnberger – Same as McQuistan.

Greg Toler – I don’t think Toler is that good a player, and unlike players like Eason, Holliday and Lenon, who I like to see re-signed if nothing else to tutor someone else, I can’t see what Toler has to offer at all.
Jamaal Westerman – I don’t know much about Westerman but I’d suppose he can be upgraded.

Cuts

Stewart Bradley – Well, that was money really bad spend.

Kevin Kolb – I wouldn’t mind it that much if he agreed to a heavy pay-cut to stay with the team, I just don’t really see the need for that. As mentioned before I would like to change some things at this position and I don’t think Kolb offers anything special. Most of the time he is injured and when he finally plays he is very up-and-down.

Ryan Lindley – This might be unfair but he has had his chance and he didn’t
take it. I wouldn’t mind bringing him to camp but in this scenario there is no spot for him.

John Skelton – It’s pretty much the same as with Lindley, though there is nothing unfair about this decision.

Chris Wells – He has some rather good games but he can certainly be upgraded. Another wasted first round pick.

Free agency – from other teams

In this scenario I have invested heavily in the offensive line. That might be the most unrealistic part of this offseason wish-list as both Colledge and Snyder were somewhat big signings and that might keep Bidwill from spending big money on the line yet again. However, I think it has to be done and I would like most of the upgrades to be proven veterans instead of rookies.

Andre Smith, offensive tackle, Cincinnati – I think we would all like one of the big three (Brendan Albert, Ryan Clady, Jake Long) but that seems unlikely to me. In the last offseason the Bengals choose to void the last two years of Smith’s rookie-contract which could make him an unrestricted free agent this offseason. Since then he has really picked up his game, in parts because he began to stay in shape, so I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of the Bengals re-signing him. He reminds me a bit of Levi Brown and although that might scare somebody away I think those two would do well in a zone blocking scheme. I don’t know who would play left and right tackle but I don’t really care either. Massie could then move to right guard.

Andy Levitre, offensive guard, Buffalo – He is one of the better guards in the league and I doubt Buffalo will let him walk. If they do the Cardinals should pursue him heavily as he would instantly be a major upgrade on the interior line, both as a pass protector and a run blocker.

Matt Moore, quarterback, Miami – I think Moore is a good backup and a serviceable starter if needed. I watched him on Hard Knocks prior to the season and he seems like a good guy. I would like to have him on the team.

Ben Watson, tight end, Cleveland - I like Watson. He does nothing special, but he gets the job done. I think he could be the same type of player the team expected to get with Heap, only Watson would actually be good at it.

Mike Jenkins, cornerback, Dallas – He has never lived up to the expectations when he was drafted in the first round, and by every account it would seem that he want out of Dallas and they want him out. I think he has talent, and I think he would be worth giving a shot.

Victor Butler, outside linebacker, Dallas – If nothing else, he would provide good depth. He has been overshadowed by Demarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer, and last year the Cowboys drafted Kyle Wilber. Now, Wilber could be a replacement to Spencer who is also set to become a free agent, but he also could be the replacement to Butler.

Draft

1. Tyler Wilson, quarterback, Arkansas – Some might say this is a pretty big reach. However, I believe Wilson will rise up in rankings as the draft approaches. Besides what Wilson can do as a quarterback I think his outburst against his teammates after the game against Alabama will help him a great deal. I think he realized that the interim head coach, John L. Smith, couldn’t handle the job and that Wilson himself had to take responsibility and carry the team on his back. To me, that shows incredible leadership and along with his accuracy and toughness – physical as well as mentally – he is the kind of guy I would want to play for. Also, we would all like to do what the Bengals did two years ago (draft a stud in the first round and a franchise quarterback in the second), but I didn’t like that strategy back then and I don’t like it now. The Bengals could easily have missed out on Andy Dalton, now, who would throw the ball to A.J. Green? I believe you have to take a potential franchise quarterback as soon as you can. Don’t ever jeopardize it because you think it would be bad value, because if he does become your franchise quarterback it would be great value anyway. By the way, does anyone know anything about Wilson’s work habbits? I haven’t been able to find something. Anyway, Chopper, would you sign me up on your list of Wilson-admires?

2. Barrett Jones, center, Alabama – I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to think Jones could fall to the second round. To me, both Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper are better prospects at guard and centers are rarely taking in the first round. If they are, they are usually superior athletes and Jones is not. He is, however, a highly intelligent player that could be a cornerstone to the offensive line for years. I would draft him to play center but if it along the way becomes clear that he is a better guard then just let Sendlein stay at center and then Jones and Massie could battle it out at guard.

3. Stepfan Taylor, runningback, Stanford – I know, I know, “another highly drafted runningback!?” Well, yeah, I think Taylor is flying heavily under the radar and that he might be long gone by this time. I think he has outstanding vision and makes great cuts. He is not the fastest, biggest or strongest runningback, and that might cause him to drop some in the draft, but he more than makes up for it with his style of play.

4. Christian Jones, inside linebacker, Florida State – I think Jones is one of the unsung heroes on the Florida State defense. He is a two year starter, but this is his first as a weakside linebacker. In high school he was a strong safety and his first year as a starter in college he played the strongside linebacker-position. As far as I can tell he is responsible for everyone lining up correctly, sort of like Lenon’s role with the Cardinals. He is very athletic and can cover a pretty big area. He is also a smart player, and furthermore he can really lay the wood on opponents. He leads Florida State in tackles this season.

5. Kapron Lewis-Moore, defensive end, Notre Dame – Another player I think is underrated. He might not be a flashy player but he does a pretty good job making space to other players. I would like to think that David Carter is the next big thing – and that Dockett is staying, by the way – but you can never have enough depth on the defensive line.

6. Jordan Kovacs, safety, Michigan – There’s not much to say. I just really like Kovacs. He’s a real football-player.

7. Patrick Lewis, center, Texas A&M – For good reason, Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews gets all the attention on the offensive line, but I think Lewis does a good job as well. This selection is really about depth as I have already taken a new center, but I think we can all agree that Scott Wedige is not the answer.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree with player moves with the exceptions of Hoyer and Toler.

Not thrilled with Haley as OC. Ambivalent about Wiz.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i like ,,good job but i dont know why keep hollyday eason and lenon...a franchise should not be a hospice

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Nice read Ghandi. I would take Jake Matthews or Luke Joeckel with our first pick and then take Wilson with the second rounder. I would not bring back Vonnie Holiday or Nick Eason. I would rather sign and draft their replacements. I like your thoughts of signing both Matt Moore and Ben Watson.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wanted to post this before Black Monday, since it might be irrelevant by then. I think it is a quite realistic scenario, and although I would be fine with whoever the general manager thinks is the best head coach, and though I would let the head coach decides his assistants, I do have an opinion on the matter and I have made a guess. Mainly because it is fun, but also because it makes for a good discussion.

Front office and coaching staff

General manager – Steve Keim. with you 100%

It has been well documented that before Keim was hired by the Cardinals the team had no organized scouting-system. Keim took care of that. It has also been reported that he wanted Adrian Peterson over Levi Brown. If that is true, I suppose he wouldn’t have drafted Buster Davis or Cody Brown either. Michael Bidwill is a big fan of Keim, and as he was a finalist for the job with the Rams it isn’t just the Cardinals that think highly of him.

Head coach – Ray Horton. again. 100%. No HC experience doesn't hold me back. They all start somewhere. He had no coordinator experience either when he came here. And it was a big issue bbrought up on this board

The defensive players seem to really buy into Horton, both as a playcaller and motivator. I would think that would translate to the offensive players as well. The main knock on Horton as a head coach is that he doesn’t have any experience in that regards. Well, Mike Smith had never been a head coach before he was hired by the Falcons, Mike Tomlin didn’t have any experience at the job either before being appointed by the Steelers, John Harbaugh is another example before the Ravens made him head coach. Of the longer tenured head coaches, Andy Reid had not been a head coach before coming to the Eagles and neither had Mike McCarthy before becoming the head coach of the Packers. You got to start somewhere, and I believe Horton have what it takes.

Offensive coordinator – Todd Haley. doubt he gets released in PIT

Binkar have pretty much covered this in another thread. My main points for Haley being available are that I think someone has to pay for the Steelers not making the playoffs. Mike Tomlin is safe as the head coach, Dick LeBeau is safe as the defensive coordinator, so Haley might be the odd man out. Also, there have been multiple reports that he is not getting along with Ben Roethlisberger. Both Bidwill and Keim seem to think highly of Haley.

Defensive coordinator – Keith Butler. same issue as Haley

Actually, I don’t think the Steelers would let Butler go. I only wrote him down because he is a known name on this board but my point is to hire someone who knows Horton’s defensive philosophy. That means either promote someone from the current staff, hire someone from the Steelers or hire someone from the Packers.

I would also change the rest of the offensive staff, but since I don’t really have any ideas to who they might target I will only say that I think they should hire an offensive line-coach that runs a zone blocking scheme. I think the personnel are best suited for that.

Free agency – in-house

Re-sign

Michael Adams – I like Money Mike. I think he is a good role-player and a really good special teamer. He seems to always be on the bubble at training camp but that is fine by me. At least that means he pushes everyone else to their limit. love the little bastard. So much heart in a little guy

Nick Eason – He knows the system and he provides depth. I think he is a good player to have on the roster. agreed

Vonnie Holliday – It’s the same argument as for Eason. Furthermore those two could be good mentors for anyone new. he's getting up there in age though. I like him, but don't see him playing much next year

Quentin Groves – I like Groves. He might be getting his act together, and if not, well, he pushes the starters and does his job fairly well when his name is called. big fan of keeping him around. Kid hustles. And I think he can excel in this system and turn into a great rotation player

Rashad Johnson – First of all I have to say, do not in any circumstance let Adrian Wilson leave. He simply has to retire a Cardinal. That said, I think Johnson is finally beginning to understand some aspects of the game that he has been struggling with previously. I like to have him on the roster. same as Groves. He seems like he really has gotten the hang of the position here now

Paris Lenon – I would definitely start looking for his replacement, but he is still a decent player and most importantly to me, he could help bringing someone else along for his spot. Like with some of the other re-signings I have listed, I don’t see the harm in giving him a somewhat low deal and at least bringing him to camp. The guy defies logic. He still plays at a high level at his age. Usually only the great ones can do that

James Sanders – He has provided good depth and I think he can be trusted when needed. haven't seen a whole lot from him, but he hustles and has made some plays in his limited playing time

LaRod Stephens-Howling – I don’t envision him to be the starter or anything but I do think he can be a solid #3 runningback and he is a very good special teamer. I think he'll be expecting a larger check than he deserves. Don't expect to see him in a Cards uniform next year

Let them leave

D’Anthony Batiste – I have to admit, I had higher expectations for Batiste after seeing him play decent two offseasons in a row. Anyway, he had his shot and he failed miserably. Buh bye

Brian Hoyer – I would really like to make some changes on this quarterback-mess so even though I have nothing against Hoyer I just don’t see him as anything worth keeping. he hasn't done anything, so I wont disagree

Pat McQuistan – Simply not good enough. again. Done nothing

Rich Ohrnberger – Same as McQuistan. see above

Greg Toler – I don’t think Toler is that good a player, and unlike players like Eason, Holliday and Lenon, who I like to see re-signed if nothing else to tutor someone else, I can’t see what Toler has to offer at all.
Jamaal Westerman – I don’t know much about Westerman but I’d suppose he can be upgraded. completely disagree. He's not the best CB under the sun. But I think he can be a very good #2 as long as he can stay healthy

Cuts

Stewart Bradley – Well, that was money really bad spend. yup

Kevin Kolb – I wouldn’t mind it that much if he agreed to a heavy pay-cut to stay with the team, I just don’t really see the need for that. As mentioned before I would like to change some things at this position and I don’t think Kolb offers anything special. Most of the time he is injured and when he finally plays he is very up-and-down. I like Kolb. I think he can do very well if we can keep him upright. But still is way overpaid. If he takes a base cut, he can have incentives that are higher than his current salary. I have no problem with high level of pay, but only for a high level of plsy

Ryan Lindley – This might be unfair but he has had his chance and he didn’t
take it. I wouldn’t mind bringing him to camp but in this scenario there is no spot for him. he's young and cheap. At least give him through preseason

John Skelton – It’s pretty much the same as with Lindley, though there is nothing unfair about this decision. he's just a waste. Dunno what happened. He WAS debatable last year. There's no debate now

Chris Wells – He has some rather good games but he can certainly be upgraded. Another wasted first round pick. Buh bye
just on our current guys...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There's no need to make any changes. As soon as Kolb and Ryan Williams get well, again, and Levi's back at LT the Cards will be Super Bowl contenders.

:p

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really like this write up. Would not give up on Toler though as he is starting to play well. Tough coming off an injury like he had.

Also Hoyer should be invited to camp. Not sure how I feel about Haley but I don't see him getting canned in Pittsburgh.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good write up. Except that if they do replace Whis I don't think it is going to be Horton.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i like ,,good job but i dont know why keep hollyday eason and lenon...a franchise should not be a hospice
while he IS getting old, Lenon sure hasn't looked like it on-field
I feel the same about Toler. He is getting back into form and one must expect some setbacks off his initial injury
agreed. In DRC's last season here, I thought Toler was looking pretty promising. He got hurt, but he's getting back up to speed, and even at not being 100% I'd still say he's easily our 2nd best CB on the roster

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I like it, here's mine.

QB: Matt Moore FA (2yr 6m)
QB: Kirk Cousins (trade 3rd this year+conditional next year)

RB: Reggie Bush FA (4 yr/20m)
RB: Eddie Lacy/Le'Veon Bell/Montee Ball (Whichever is left in the 3rd*)

OT: Andre Smith FA (5m/yr)
OG: Chance Warmack Draft (1st round pick in the teens*)
OG/OC: Barrett Jones (2nd round pick)
SILB: Ray Maualaga FA (Same Contract Steward Bradley had)

Cut:
QB: Kevin Kolb (savings 3m?)
QB: John Skelton
RB: Chris Wells (savings ~1m)
WR: Early Doucet (savings ~1.75m)
LB: Stewart Bradley (cap hit ~1m)

Re-sign:
LB: Quentin Groves
DL: Nick Eason
DL: Vonnie Holliday
LB: Paris Lenon
S: Rashad Johnson
(All somewhere between vet minimum and 2m/year)

Draft:
1 Trade pick down into teens to pick up at least the 3rd we lost+ whatever else we can get, draft Charlie Warmack, OG Alabama
2 Barrett Jones OG/C Alabama
3 Le'Veon Bell RB Michigan St or Montee Ball RB Wisconsin (workhorse/between the tackles back)
4-7 Pass rusher, safety, BPA in no particular order

GM: Keim
HC: Horton
OC: Norv Turner
DC: TBD

Analysis:

We bring Cousins in with hopes that he can be our QBOF after deciding none of the QBs in the draft that we expect to be there when we pick are, Matt Moore is insurance in case he doesn't pan out.

We bring in Reggie Bush to be our dynamic back that we wanted Ryan Williams to be, and also to replace LSH as our Kick Returner and to allow Peterson to become full time cornerback. We draft Bell or Ball to get a workhorse who can consistently get positive yardage between the tackles.

We bring in Andre Smith to play RT, putting Massie back to the bench for now. Levi returns as LT while Potter continues to develop. We draft 2 Alabama boys to compete with Colledge, Sendlein and Snyder, bumping 2 of them to the bench. Our OL now has 4 quality run blockers in Levi, Warmack, Jones, and Smith.

On defense, we mostly hold on to what has worked for us this year. We add some depth late in the draft and we pick up unnamed depth role players via FA to replace anyone we may lose.

We become a run first, clock management team relying on our defense to keep games close. We throw the occasional play action pass to Fitz or Housler, use Reggie Bush on screens, and otherwise pound the rock. Norv Turner remembers the offense he ran in Dallas in the early 90s when they went to the SB and Emmitt Smith lead the league in rushing. He works on Cousins while leaning on our powerful run blockers.

Horton picks his defensive coordinator, whomever it may be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
52brandon, I don't think Butler will leave either. I just wrote him down because he know Horton's defense and I feel that is very important. Some other on this board (forgot who) brought up Matt Reich. Do you think that would be a good solution?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We bring in Reggie Bush to be our dynamic back that we wanted Ryan Williams to be, and also to replace LSH as our Kick Returner and to allow Peterson to become full time cornerback.

I would really like to add Reggie Bush, DoTheDew. I would just be really surprised if the Dolphins let him test the market. He finally has some NFL-success, so I would also think he would like to stay put.

Also, Bush is really effective on screens but the Cardinals can't run a screen pass to save their lives. Do you think that could be fixed with another coach and a few changes on the personnel?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On defense, we mostly hold on to what has worked for us this year. We add some depth late in the draft and we pick up unnamed depth role players via FA to replace anyone we may lose.

While I agree with this, DoTheDew, at least to some extent, I can't help but like the idea of adding to your strenghts. Also, if Keim do become the general manager I think he will choose talent over need every time.

What would you feel about Damontre Moore or Manti Te'o in the first round, or Alex Okafor or Alec Ogletree in the second?

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
While I agree with this, DoTheDew, at least to some extent, I can't help but like the idea of adding to your strenghts. Also, if Keim do become the general manager I think he will choose talent over need every time.

What would you feel about Damontre Moore or Manti Te'o in the first round, or Alex Okafor or Alec Ogletree in the second?

I love me some Te'o and Moore. I would not be the least bit unhappy if we took either one.

The question is if we go the defensive route can we get our offense to adequate enough to still win? And if so, how do we do that? We aren't getting a franchise QB in FA. We might be able to become a run first team with FA acquisitions though and put the QB position on hold.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Nice writeup! No way I let Toler or Hoyer leave.

Hoyer can be our 2nd or 3rd quarterback.

Greg Toler is a competitor and a decent defensive back who is our best tackler in the entire secondary IMO. He is a must re-sign. You can never have enough defensive backs and in the Horton system, defensive backs have to be able to tackle.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The question is if we go the defensive route can we get our offense to adequate enough to still win? And if so, how do we do that? We aren't getting a franchise QB in FA. We might be able to become a run first team with FA acquisitions though and put the QB position on hold.

That's my thoughts as well. You can win in this league with a decent quarterback, so it might be smart to take a really good player, even if it's on defense, in the first round. Still, I think Tyler Wilson will become a legit top ten-selection and maybe the first quarterback taken. In no way does that mean he is one of the ten best players though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave