Game thoughts

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sorry PA, this is so speculative that I can’t even come close to supporting this thought.

I would not be happy if Kyler if he was just passively sitting back and agreeing with every decision made or play called.

We’ve seen many Qb’s screaming at coaches. And as far as the decision to go for a fg I thought we’d run another play. However, we got the ball with 1:25. I think we had gained momentum and didn’t want to go in to the locker room with a negative mindset.

A bad snap, sack or turnover would have had many questioning the decision, the play call or the player who failed.

We went up 17-5. Got gauranteed points in the last two minutes which BTW , we lead the league with 27 points.

I suggest Sitting back and enjoying PA instead of looking for things to be unhappy about after a 26 pt. Win.
I get why you should run another play but I also recognize that Kyler was not great in that moment. He had a very awkward QB run, took two sacks (one was negated by a penalty) and did not seem on the same page as Ertz. Take the points, regroup and don't give a bad team any momentum.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get why you should run another play but I also recognize that Kyler was not great in that moment. He had a very awkward QB run, took two sacks (one was negated by a penalty) and did not seem on the same page as Ertz. Take the points, regroup and don't give a bad team any momentum.
To be fair to @PACardsFan I can see why he could speculate (overreact) to such things. I think he read Kyler's body language that he was p*ssed about the called QB run when they were rolling with the pass game. It cost them a timeout and he took an awkward hit. And just sort of stalled what was an excellent drive.

Cameras showed Kyler pretty upset on the sideline. Then at the end of the game him and Kliff were having a conversation about something, but they ultimately ended with a fist bump.

I think Kliff and Kyler really like each other. I just think at times they have different ideas about the offense which is normal.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
That taunting penalty was totally ticky tack.
Agreed but we have to be smarter than that. That was a 4th down...get off the field (really important vs great teams).

I love Simmons and he is really aggressive but there were a couple of times that I saw where he could have been called again for 15 yards. He is on the edge with personal fouls.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
and yes, I am well aware of narrative that Kyler never chose Kliff as a college coach when Kliff was recruiting him.
Which is a bit of a reach. I mean, what kid who wants to win and has the choice of MANY colleges wouldn't choose Texas Tech. It's just not a great situation; 1. Lubbock isn't a great college location 2. They don't have the resources of better schools 3. They don't have a winning tradition.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
After cursing my way through the first quarter I realized that we can't get Rodney Hudson back soon enough.

I agree, although Garcia is serviceable at C.

The dreadfully weak link in the line is Jones, which sucks, because the other four guys are playing pretty well.

I'm no offensive line guru, but when Hudson comes back, I think I would try Garcia at G.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

The dreadfully weak link in the line is Jones, which sucks, because the other four guys are playing pretty well.

I'm no offensive line guru, but when Hudson comes back, I think I would try Garcia at G.
Jones has shown some good though. I think I'd continue to let him play through his struggles. Young lineman usually have some struggles.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Kugler sorta hinted to this during his press conference after the Browns game.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Jones has shown some good though. I think I'd continue to let him play through his struggles. Young lineman usually have some struggles.

I actually like his run blocking - had a nice combo block on Conner's TD run. He can move well and he is big.

It's the pass blocking at G specifically that is a problem. Surprised that Aaron Donald didn't run past him every play.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I actually like his run blocking - had a nice combo block on Conner's TD run. He can move well and he is big.

It's the pass blocking at G specifically that is a problem. Surprised that Aaron Donald didn't run past him every play.
I credit Hudson helping him out a lot.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That makes some sense. Garcia is a backup G as well. But Justin Murray was the starter for a reason. He can come off IR Friday and hopefully he is starting in SF on the 7th.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Surprisingly, the Rams played Donald almost exclusively over Pugh. Pugh had the best performance of a Cardinals player this season that no one noticed. Hudson did tag block Donald when he could.

I expect in the rematch, the Rams will not make that mistake again. Donald will move around a lot more.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
after the 3rd down field goal I saw Kyler's saying, "effing BS" and a few other F bombs to Deandre Hopkins who was sitting next to him on the bench. Dhop got up and walked over to Kliff and told him a few things in a calm manner.

I think this is what Kyler and Kliff were going over at the end of the game. Interesting bit, after they bumped fists, Kyler rolled his eyes and used his hands for like a "WTF" gesture... not great but at least they aren't screaming at each other

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really happy that Wolf is taking Kliff to task for getting Kyler hit so many times yesterday. He’s the franchise. Gotta keep him healthy. That’s my only concern with this team right now.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I didn't mind the FG at the end of the half, but I would really rather seen them go for a safety to make up for that 2 point safety Houston got on us earlier.

I do like our WR corp, especially AJ becoming such an intricate part, but feel bad that it has been at the expense of Fitzgerald who Kyler has totally ignored this season.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1000000000000000%

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
after the 3rd down field goal I saw Kyler's saying, "effing BS" and a few other F bombs to Deandre Hopkins who was sitting next to him on the bench. Dhop got up and walked over to Kliff and told him a few things in a calm manner.

I think this is what Kyler and Kliff were going over at the end of the game. Interesting bit, after they bumped fists, Kyler rolled his eyes and used his hands for like a "WTF" gesture... not great but at least they aren't screaming at each other
You saw this on the broadcast or at the stadium?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I had no problem going for that 3rd down FG. We were up 5 to 14, our D was in full control, the Texans offense did not look explosive, Kyler already took a beating, just kick that FG and get into that locker room.

I think you're correct here Jasper. In addition to what you stated, their d-line was all over Murray in the 1st half, and if we run another play, and he gets sacked again, we get zero out of the possession.

Add up everything you and I said, and the FG attempt was the best option.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
While I understand the FG to end the half, I do NOT understand the idiotic running play/lack of time out/lack of urgency after said idiotic running play to begin the 2 minute offense.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry PA, this is so speculative that I can’t even come close to supporting this thought.

I would not be happy if Kyler if he was just passively sitting back and agreeing with every decision made or play called.

We’ve seen many Qb’s screaming at coaches. And as far as the decision to go for a fg I thought we’d run another play. However, we got the ball with 1:25. I think we had gained momentum and didn’t want to go in to the locker room with a negative mindset.

A bad snap, sack or turnover would have had many questioning the decision, the play call or the player who failed.

We went up 17-5. Got gauranteed points in the last two minutes which BTW , we lead the league with 27 points.

I suggest Sitting back and enjoying PA instead of looking for things to be unhappy about after a 26 pt. Win.
No one is unhappy about a 26 point win. There will come a time when KK will need to trust his MVP caliber quarterback to squeeze in a play when we have 9 seconds to play with.