Game Review: ARZ 37 SEA 34

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Process Overview:
I will start doing these recaps every week for the Cardinals games. I watch the game live on Sunday and then will be watching the coaches (all-22) footage of the game when it is made available during the week. I will first provide general thoughts on things I’d like to chat about and then provide individual game insights with time stamps and will be doing a heroes and goats section at the end in honor of K9. Hope you guys enjoy!

General Thoughts:
1. I think we were all ecstatic for the pick in overtime and that it was Isaiah Simmons getting to shine. That being said it is still infuriating how low his snap count is when he was billed as an extremely intelligent player capable of taking snaps at five positions. None of us are there for meetings and practices but I put this mostly on Vance. Simmons has looked good on most snaps, albeit with a few glaring exceptions, and you need to grow an athlete like Simmons and let him learn.

2. There was a lot of debate over fair value for Buddha and I, admittedly, though we may have played. After watching this season play out he is the heart and soul of this defense and is the most important player on the team outside of Kyler. With Vance switching his safety assignment last year he has developed into an exceptional player and one that is extremely fun to watch. We saw how much the defense changed when he was missing against the Panthers.

His interception of Wilson was the play of the season, that would have turned the game 20-7 in their favor and ended it on the spot. Everyone’s biggest complaint was his lack of plays in coverage and he has interceptions inside of our ten in back to back weeks, I don’t think this suddenly makes him a ballhawk but he could be dangerous in that robber role.

3. This team showed a ton of guts. I’ve been a fan since 2003 and the Cardinals just don’t consistently win games like this and the opener against San Francisco.

4. The overall lack of pressure was very concerning, Vance switching to the zone blitzes was a huge determinant in the outcome of this game but he has always been slow to adjust and we will lose games because of it. As much as I’m loathe to praise Reddick based on his history with us, he has been very important to the success of the team thus far and is our best (healthy) pass rusher.

5. The O line has been exceptional the last few weeks. I think this is the best unit I’ve ever seen for the Cards and I see no reason to take out Murray for Sweezy if he comes back this season. I thought Sweezy was our weakest lineman prior to the injury as well. I think the line is doing better in run blocking that Drake’s performance would indicate. From my view he consistently is slow to the hole, makes bad cuts, isn’t breaking many tackles and leaves yards on the field.

Game Notes:

15:00 - I love deferring, please always do this.

14:50 - the coverage was perfect by Peterson here, as it would be on the touchdown later. I am still wondering if Tyler Lockett is left handed….

14:30 - The Seahawks did pre motion to go from a two TE strong side to TES on either side of the line and Reddick and Kennard still flipped positions. Kennard didn’t look settled in and lost contain on the roll out. In general I see the OLBs losing contain a lot and we really shouldn’t be crashing when Wilson is the QB that hard. His roll outs looked pretty effective all night and will be an issue next time we see them.

13:50 - Allen is unblocked and provides some of the only pressure we would see during regulation. I think we did a great job of taking Wilson down when we actually got hands on him though.

13:00 - Phillips gets double teamed out of the play and Campbell misses a tackle in the hole. Phillips is a complete enigma to me - he has an uncanny knack for finishing sacks, getting his hands on the ball etc but looks very bad against the run a lot of times (I understand he was doubled on this specific play).

12:30 - Roll out by Wilson and Kirkpatrick stumbles. Lockett ate his lunch all night. As I’ll scream about later, he was consistently beaten on drag routes and would give up a ton of yards after the catch by being beaten by a simple juke back by Lockett. If only Stephon Gilmore was available….

12:00 - Bad drop by Daniels. The play design here was excellent as we had Hopkins in motion and Fitz on a drag from the other side of the formation and they grabbed all three linebackers. It’s plays like this that give me a lot of confidence in Kliff as an offensive mind.

11:53 - the false start was “everyone but the Center” which I guess means Cole had the wrong snap count.

11:30 - I really can’t stand these bubble screens and quick throws to the flat, our success has been awful on them (we may even see a fumble later!) and anyone watching tape will be able to diagnose them.

10:40 - Allen gets blocked out of the play here and he comes up lame.

9:20 - Surprised Kirkpatrick didn’t get called here but at least he was close to Lockett.

9:10 - Cambells zone drop is way too deep here. They run a double crossing route right to the area he vacates and he’s almost ten yards away from the reception. Not his best game overall.

8:40 - first blitz by Baker. It’s a run where Blackson falls over and Peters gets double teamed out of the play. Very similar to what happened on the play at 13:00.

8:00 - good contain this time by Kennard on the roll out. Nice play design by Seattle where they send Moore in motion to the run fake side and then run him on a route back across the formation. Kirkpatrick completely bites on it.

7:00 - the pressure at the end here was very important as Metcalf was streaking open by Campbell once the play broke down. I think he saved a TD here.

6:50 - we get some pressure in a 4 man rush and the coverage is great downfield to force an incompletion on third.

6:30 - 95 comes unblocked on the option run and 56 makes an excellent read to get over to Kyler. It looked like both of our TEs missed blocks on this play as well.

6:20 - Kyler seems to throw this ill advised deep shot with the safety right there and someone underneath at least once a game.

6:10 - great gutsy run by Kyler to get us our first first down of the game. His hesitation step into the acceleration will make so many defenders look silly over the years.

5:00 - Josh Jones in as a blocking TE. I cannot overstate how disappointed I was with our regular TEs during the game so I appreciate them trying this.

4:30 - watching Cole and Pugh on these stunts is really nice, looks like they’ve been playing together for years.

4:10 - Cole gets blown up at point of attack on a run, this happens more than I’d like.

2:50 - awesome throw and catch. I’ll get a better feeling for how often Hop is singled from these game reviews but I wish we would throw this more. I don’t think anyone can really cover him on the long sideline throws.

1:30 - Carson with a strong run dragging Phillips and Hicks. I feel him going down affected this game.

:50 - another play with TE pre snap motion where we flip our OLBs. It seemed pretty effective for the Seahawks to slow down the rush. Kirkpatrick gets beat on the comeback but makes an important tackle.

:30 - nice play in the flat by Reddick, we are seeing that athleticism in space more and more.

2nd Quarter

14:00 - Kennard slips his block on Seattle’s second consecutive run. PHillips and Peters both won big at point of attack play before that.

13:00 - great coverage at the sticks by Reddick to force FG. Gardeck also beating the LT quickly.

12:40 - they Jet Isabella pre snap and he blocks KJ Wright one on one. Drake trips going through the hole.

11:40 - Kyler standing off center with a direct snap to Drake. Drake breaks a tackle but it gets called back.

10:40 - Deionte makes a really nice play in the run game after he was being held by the TE. He’s a player that has gotten better every game, I love our safeties once the other Thompson twin gets back. The thought of Curtis Riley enrages me more each passing day.

10:20 - nice routes here by Lockett and Olsen to give Wilson targets on the rollout. Murphy is right there to disrupt the catch. Murphy has been playing great this season, having a good nickel becomes more important each year.

10:00 - Kirkpatrick beat on the slant with Hicks covering nothing. Hicks is such a liability in coverage, I understand we are grooming Simmons as WILB but I have to imagine he would be better than Hicks in obvious passing situations.

9:40 - I’m almost certain this was not Baker’s assignment on the play and he had the smarts to go cover Carson. What. A. Play. Catching Baker on this play was one of DK’s 3 “catches” on the night :)

9:00 - solid run on first and then three horrible plays to follow. I don’t like options this close to the goal line and we were asking Murray to pull and block a LB that will be crashing down on the option.

5:40 - Banjo is in for Thompson this series, not sure why. On Wilson’s long run Hicks is taking neither option away and Banjo is extremely slow to read it and gets blocked by an offensive lineman nearly 20 yards downfield.

5:10 - really sloppy play by Campbell and Baker here to give the TE 15 YAC.

4:20 - Dissly is streaking open over Campbell and Kirkpatrick pulls off Lockett to help. Results in an underneath completion to Lockett, Dre probably saved a TD here.

4:10 - on the Hyde TD, Banjo and Kennard get caught inside and the OL has a clean run to Peterson. Just one of those plays I guess. Thompson may have made a difference on this drive.

3:50 - tough throw for Kyler here to Hop underneath after the rollout.

2:30 - nice timing route against the blitz. It seems like every team lacks respect for Hopkins.

2:10 - Isabella pulls the two safeties to the end zone and Kyler makes a nice read to Arnold.

1:50 - Griffin gets greedy and goes for pick on out route and Kyler and Kirk make them pay.

1:30 - I have absolutely no idea what’s going on during this play. Some defenders look to be in mand and some in zone and there is at least one receiver completely uncovered. Wilson runs for 25.

1:10 - Kirkpatrick beat on a drag and Lockett cuts back for more yards. Not the last time we see this.

:50 - perfect coverage by Peterson, I don’t think Buddha would have affected the outcome of the throw but he dropped off like his mom was calling him for dinner. This was an unbelievable throw and catch.

:30 - really nice drive here. Fitz working well underneath, Kyler with a nice read to Chase and Chase with some good movement after his catches. Great to take some points from this spot.

3rd Quarter

14:30 - Chase with an awesome run after the catch, he made a ton of plays this game. Kyler, overall, was really good at finding the soft spots in their zones and navigating the pocket to get throws off.

14:20 - this is an example of where the O Line really wins the down and Drake can’t do much with it.

13:50 - I was so angry after this play. Another awful bubble screen and we had two TEs that couldn’t block one guy. The best part about this play happening was Kyler yelling on the sidelines.

13:30 - Kyler had Larry underneath here but he will miss these occasionally when he makes the decision to take off.

12:00 - good looking punt by Lee but Sherfield couldn’t down it.

11:30 - Peters makes a nice play off the snap but unfortunately the toss they scored on in the first half worked again.

11:00 - Kirkpatrick beat by about 5 yards by Lockett off the snap but luckily Peters is on Wilson right away so he has to go underneath. Campbell still beat off the snap here for the completion.

9:00 - good play here by Kirkpatrick in coverage, he will likely wind up as the most mentioned player outside of Kyler this write up.

8:50 - Buddha free of the edge with a good assist by Reddick. Wilson makes a risky throw to the sideline similar to what he did on the Peterson pick.

8:30 - Hopkins looks open on the deep throw. I’m not sure what went on here, maybe he was never expecting the ball.

7:50 - I think the Wagenr call for the Arnold hit was right, but I reserve the right to go ballistic if that’s called against our team.

7:40 - Drake with a rare reception. Kyler is getting so much time on nearly every dropback.

6:50 - Drake drops a screen that could have gone for a good chunk with two downfield blockers. Really nice throw by Kyler to Hop on the sidelines the following play.

6:00 - Isabella with a short curl to get some yards back after Pugh’s hold. Hey, at least we didn’t run a bubble screen!

4:50 - another nice run by Chase after Kyler found him after the initial read. All the time he’s getting coupled with the good reads make this offense look very dangerous.

4:30 - Seattle did a good job on nearly every read run the Cardinals did.

4:00 - Humphries with a nice pull block and Edmonds making a play I don’t think Drake could. Kyler with a nose for the end zone the next play.

2:50 - Wilson keeps the play alive with a rollout but Cards hold their assignments. Baker specifically with a good turn and sprint to keep up with a TE cutting back to Wilson.

1:40 - Saw Fotu at DE on a number of plays with Peters playing the nose, I assume this was due to Phillips getting hurt. Loved to see Peterson laying a shoulder into Wilson when he was finishing his run.

1:00 - Kirkpatrick burned on the same drag and cutback by Lockett.

:30 - I a) thought Baker concussed himself here and b) thought he should have been flagged. I love the way he plays but he will undoubtedly hurt himself a few times in his career, I’m really hoping we don’t see a premature end to his time with the Cardinals (no jinx).

4th Quarter

15:00 - here’s where the zone blitzes start with Dre and Murphy coming in and Blackson straight dropping and Campbell to Dre’s side. It works here.

14:30 - this is a zero DL formation where Thompson blitzes late and Simmons drops and Lockett isn’t covered by the three guys near him. Let’s see more of what these last two plays brought, Vance.

12:30 - Peterson one on one making a huge play in coverage on a zero blitz when the Hawks are in FG range. He really had a great game.

12:20 - bad form and bad decision by Kyler.

11:20 - Kennard really blows this up and it’s a good effort by Jyde to get the first

9:00 - Reddick covers his TE assignment cleanly and then comes up to make the play on Hyde after his reception. I didn’t know how good of a game he had until rewatching.

7:30 - it was Kirkpatrick here but we had trouble tracking Lockett and Moore any time they did pre-snap motion.

7:00 - Campbell a step late in coverage, should have been a TD by Dissly.

6:50 - great throw and catch by Wilson and Lockett, thought it was out live.

6:10 - Murray moves really well in pass pro here to help Beachum and then pick up a free rusher after a late stunt which led to a long Kyler run. The play before he executed a nice combo block. I really like him at guard so far and he has excellent awareness.

6:00 - Drake cuts the wrong way into Wagner after some nice pull blocks.

5:40 - they again blow up the option run.

4:30 - as much as I’ve complained about Drake he guts it out on this huge fourth and 1.

3:50 - I was frustrated with the sheer number of runs and the time between plays.

3:10 - I thought Kyler had Hop near the sideline here open but he goes underneath to Isabella after scrambling a bit

3:00 - Kyler misses Kirk on the sideline on a tight window.

2:30 - back to back quick underneath throws to Chase and Kirk. These were lethal all night.

2:10 - Reddick and Kennard line up on the same side and Wilson rolls out past both of them. They also had Fitts on the weak side, weird defensive set.

2:00 - Vallejo with a big one on one tackle, wouldn’t be the last play he makes.

1:50 - Reddick keeps contain after a smart Hyde cutback, could have been a first.

1:40 - Baker and Vallejo with a huge stop on third.

1:20 - I love the punt block call, Kirk could have had room to return if it wasn’t a boomer of a kick.

:40 - very gutsy call on the QB draw but it worked. The difference between “gutsy” and “dumb” is Kyler breaking the arm tackle.

:30 - Kyler finds Kirk late when it looked like he might not see him, Kirk leaves yards on the field.

:20 - Fitz again this season rushing the ball back to the center to get the spike off under the gun.

:00 - Zane hit some big kicks, I’m glad he got another shot in OT.

Overtime

10:00 - hate losing the coin toss

9:30 - big sack by Reddick after beating Hyde one on one

8:50 - first down by Moore after a blitz, guess who gets beat.

8:30 - nice contain by Fitts on Hyde, exactly how you play that.

7:00 - Campbell out of position in coverage and the RB makes a one hand tip catch for a large gain. Their RT had a really nice block on Baker and gets a false start the next play.

6:00 - zone blitz comes up huge with three of their o lineman blocking literally nobody. What a play call!

5:30 - watching Kirk return kicks is something I could go without.

4:50 - nice blocks by Beachum and Murray spring Edmonds when he makes a good cut. Beachum basically blocked two lineman on this play.

2:50 - I don’t want to belabor this but a play to move to the correct hash shouldn’t lose 5 yards and we should not leave two downs on the field when we are absolutely creaming their defense and they have timeouts remaining.

2:00 - Reddick with another nice play in the past game. He absolutely owned his side of the field.

1:30 - Lockett with that ******* cutback followed by a zero blitz with Thompson delivering the hit. I saw everyone in the secondary blitz except Peterson, pretty cool.

1:00 - the DK td that was called back scared me again.

:50 - what a play by Simmons. He played 5 snaps. 5.

:30 - our most effective bubble screen of the nights, lets call it the Seattle defense lying down by this point.

:00 - clutch kick and a great team win where it seemed like Seattle might run away with this one early. Shoutout to the defense for getting a turnover after we missed a game winner, tremendous heart.

HEROES:

Kyler

Reddick

Baker

Peterson

Edmonds

O-Line

Murphy

GOATS:

Kirkpatrick

Blackson

Drake

Daniels

Hicks

Campbell

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
once you get to the game log, without following along on video, its mostly just a bunch of typing to scroll by tbh. Probably better suited highlighting certain plays or having screenshots/gifs. IE: "Nice contain by fitts."

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
once you get to the game log, without following along on video, its mostly just a bunch of typing to scroll by tbh. Probably better suited highlighting certain plays or having screenshots/gifs. IE: "Nice contain by fitts."

Something for you to "scroll by" might be genuinely interesting for another.

Just a thought.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the game and
is nice to see the descriptions of the plays, he put some work, so I just can say " thank u" @BigDavis75

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the game and
is nice to see the descriptions of the plays, he put some work, so I just can say " thank u" @BigDavis75

It's good work and a great topic to start every week, just feedback to give more umph to it and add more for people to discuss after reading.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I like it because it gives me an exact time stamp to go back and look at plays I'm interested in. Big ups, BigDavis!

OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
It's good work and a great topic to start every week, just feedback to give more umph to it and add more for people to discuss after reading.

I watch on my big screen instead of my laptop so I can see the play better so it unfortunately doesn’t lend itself to screenshots very well. My intention was to highlight things I was noticing and let people ctrl + f to search for players to see my assessment of them.

I do appreciate any feedback in general though.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watch on my big screen instead of my laptop so I can see the play better so it unfortunately doesn’t lend itself to screenshots very well. My intention was to highlight things I was noticing and let people ctrl + f to search for players to see my assessment of them.

I do appreciate any feedback in general though.

Rewatching with the notes could be helpful for those willing to do so. I enjoyed the portion of the post before that though :)

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A lot of work to put together the game book & comments. Thanks!

Here's how I gather that type of data to include on my DVD for each game:

Here’s the NFL.com ‘Game Book’ for the Cards vs Seattle game:

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/58270/ARI_Gamebook.pdf

Here’s the page to access the ‘Game Book’ for each week of the season. Look to the right and select which week of the season you want the scores. Once at the week, select the Cardinals game. This will get you to the score for that game. Look at top of page and select ‘Download Game Book (pdf).

https://www.nfl.com/scores/2020/REG7

For anyone who missed seeing the game (talking to you b8rtm8nn), NFL.com has a ‘watch for free for a week’ promotion. You can binge watch every game so far during your ‘free’ week and then cancel.

https://gamepass.nfl.com/packages?redirected=true&icampaign=gpg-edi-sct-rewatch_with_nfl_game_pass

My game DVD recording includes: (1) Any news reports and online articles for the week by converting to PDF, (2) Pregame shows, (3) Game, (4) Post-game shows, (5) Highlights by themselves, (5) Game Day Book. I will also type a single page highlights to let me know what is on the DVD—‘Budda Baker INT and caught-from-behind by DK Metcalf’ etc.’

BigDavis75---you can cut and paste the time stamp page from the Game Day log and then add your observations---might save you some work.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
PS I'd put Tanner Vellajo in the 'Hero' column for this game. He came up HUGE to stop Seattle's last drive in regulation time. If the Cards didn't stop 'em 4th and 2---game would have been over since the SeaTurkeys could have simply run out the clock after making a first down.

OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
PS I'd put Tanner Vellajo in the 'Hero' column for this game. He came up HUGE to stop Seattle's last drive in regulation time. If the Cards didn't stop 'em 4th and 2---game would have been over since the SeaTurkeys could have simply run out the clock after making a first down.

He had two important plays once he entered the game but I’m not willing to list him as a hero based on such a small sample. Same with Simmons.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hicks/Campbell are definitely our weak links. We need Simmons to take their snaps on obvious passing downs (at least). With Jalen coming back, Budda’s box prowess, and Simmons’ size we should be able to play a lot more nickle/dime and get Hicks and/or Campbell off the field.

Kennard/Blackson/Peters/Phillips/Golden

Simmons

Budda

Peterson/Thompsons/Murphy

Also, I would like to see Simmons blitzing more (at all?). Let Budda roam and clean up the box like Polamalu. Golden and Kennard set the edge. Defense plays more like a 5/1/1/4. Simmons and Budda get space to run and make plays, cover backs/TEs etc.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hicks/Campbell are definitely our weak links. We need Simmons to take their snaps on obvious passing downs (at least). With Jalen coming back, Budda’s box prowess, and Simmons’ size we should be able to play a lot more nickle/dime and get Hicks and/or Campbell off the field.

Kennard/Blackson/Peters/Phillips/Golden

Simmons

Budda

Peterson/Thompsons/Murphy

Also, I would like to see Simmons blitzing more (at all?). Let Budda roam and clean up the box like Polamalu. Golden and Kennard set the edge. Defense plays more like a 5/1/1/4. Simmons and Budda get space to run and make plays, cover backs/TEs etc.
Reddick will play almost every snaps, Kennard and golden splitting snaps

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ah, thank you. Knew I was forgetting someone. Reddick will take most of the Golden snaps.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep that was a HUGE play by Vallejo

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Vallejo also had a big hit on Wilson out of the 0-6-5 formation to force an incompletion on the play before Metcalf's TD-that-wasn't. I eventually found the play here:
Aha, found a clip that shows the play. Cards are in the 0-6-5 (or is it an 0-5-6? Guess it depends on whether you count Simmons as an LB or a DB!) with 1:15 to go in OT, the play right before the Metcalf TD that was called back. The Seahawks O-line parts like the Red Sea, expecting the pressure off both edges with the guys in the middle falling back into coverage - but this time, ALL the Cards LBs rush straight ahead, resulting in Tanner Vallejo running untouched into Wilson, who's forced to ditch the ball incomplete over the middle.

Looks as though the direct link to the play won't play directly from ASFN, so just skip ahead to the 2:36 point in the video on YouTube:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
...dave

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here's the plays for the SeaTurkey's last possession in regulation time:

2-1-SEA 23 (2:00) C.Hyde up the middle to SEA 26 for 3 yards (T.Vallejo, H.Reddick). R30 Timeout #1 by ARZ at 01:54.

1-10-SEA 26 (1:54) C.Hyde up the middle to SEA 27 for 1 yard (L.Fotu; T.Vallejo). Timeout #2 by ARZ at 01:48.

2-9-SEA 27 (1:48) C.Hyde right end to SEA 34 for 7 yards (B.Baker). Timeout #3 by ARZ at 01:42.

3-2-SEA 34 (1:42) C.Hyde right tackle to SEA 34 for no gain (T.Vallejo).

4-2-SEA 34 :)59) M.Dickson punts 66 yards to end zone, Center-T.Ott, Touchback

Vallejo in on three big plays in Seattle's last possession. The Hyde run up the middle was going for some yards if Vallejo hadn't slowed him down enough for Reddick to come in.

I guess it is a matter of judgement on how many plays it takes to make a 'hero' For my money, Vallejo came up big and gets a gold star on his homework paper.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose