Game Review: ARZ 37 SEA 34

OP
OP
BigDavis75

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
PS I'd put Tanner Vellajo in the 'Hero' column for this game. He came up HUGE to stop Seattle's last drive in regulation time. If the Cards didn't stop 'em 4th and 2---game would have been over since the SeaTurkeys could have simply run out the clock after making a first down.

He had two important plays once he entered the game but I’m not willing to list him as a hero based on such a small sample. Same with Simmons.

WhyAlwaysMe

Banned
Reaction score
Hicks/Campbell are definitely our weak links. We need Simmons to take their snaps on obvious passing downs (at least). With Jalen coming back, Budda’s box prowess, and Simmons’ size we should be able to play a lot more nickle/dime and get Hicks and/or Campbell off the field.

Kennard/Blackson/Peters/Phillips/Golden

Simmons

Budda

Peterson/Thompsons/Murphy

Also, I would like to see Simmons blitzing more (at all?). Let Budda roam and clean up the box like Polamalu. Golden and Kennard set the edge. Defense plays more like a 5/1/1/4. Simmons and Budda get space to run and make plays, cover backs/TEs etc.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hicks/Campbell are definitely our weak links. We need Simmons to take their snaps on obvious passing downs (at least). With Jalen coming back, Budda’s box prowess, and Simmons’ size we should be able to play a lot more nickle/dime and get Hicks and/or Campbell off the field.

Kennard/Blackson/Peters/Phillips/Golden

Simmons

Budda

Peterson/Thompsons/Murphy

Also, I would like to see Simmons blitzing more (at all?). Let Budda roam and clean up the box like Polamalu. Golden and Kennard set the edge. Defense plays more like a 5/1/1/4. Simmons and Budda get space to run and make plays, cover backs/TEs etc.
Reddick will play almost every snaps, Kennard and golden splitting snaps

WhyAlwaysMe

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, thank you. Knew I was forgetting someone. Reddick will take most of the Golden snaps.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS I'd put Tanner Vellajo in the 'Hero' column for this game. He came up HUGE to stop Seattle's last drive in regulation time. If the Cards didn't stop 'em 4th and 2---game would have been over since the SeaTurkeys could have simply run out the clock after making a first down.

Yep that was a HUGE play by Vallejo

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Vallejo also had a big hit on Wilson out of the 0-6-5 formation to force an incompletion on the play before Metcalf's TD-that-wasn't. I eventually found the play here:
Aha, found a clip that shows the play. Cards are in the 0-6-5 (or is it an 0-5-6? Guess it depends on whether you count Simmons as an LB or a DB!) with 1:15 to go in OT, the play right before the Metcalf TD that was called back. The Seahawks O-line parts like the Red Sea, expecting the pressure off both edges with the guys in the middle falling back into coverage - but this time, ALL the Cards LBs rush straight ahead, resulting in Tanner Vallejo running untouched into Wilson, who's forced to ditch the ball incomplete over the middle.

Looks as though the direct link to the play won't play directly from ASFN, so just skip ahead to the 2:36 point in the video on YouTube:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
...dave

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here's the plays for the SeaTurkey's last possession in regulation time:

2-1-SEA 23 (2:00) C.Hyde up the middle to SEA 26 for 3 yards (T.Vallejo, H.Reddick). R30 Timeout #1 by ARZ at 01:54.

1-10-SEA 26 (1:54) C.Hyde up the middle to SEA 27 for 1 yard (L.Fotu; T.Vallejo). Timeout #2 by ARZ at 01:48.

2-9-SEA 27 (1:48) C.Hyde right end to SEA 34 for 7 yards (B.Baker). Timeout #3 by ARZ at 01:42.

3-2-SEA 34 (1:42) C.Hyde right tackle to SEA 34 for no gain (T.Vallejo).

4-2-SEA 34 :)59) M.Dickson punts 66 yards to end zone, Center-T.Ott, Touchback

Vallejo in on three big plays in Seattle's last possession. The Hyde run up the middle was going for some yards if Vallejo hadn't slowed him down enough for Reddick to come in.

I guess it is a matter of judgement on how many plays it takes to make a 'hero' For my money, Vallejo came up big and gets a gold star on his homework paper.