Game-by-game predictions for Cardinals’ 2022 season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or maybe Dimukeje pans out. Or Gardeck can get back to his pass rushing prowess of 2020. There are options. Even Kennard has had success in the past, he just hasn't been used as much by Vance.

Better argument here.
There are options. I just don’t think there’s a high probability of those options panning out.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I've been watching football long enough to know that predicting a specific number is folly. Way to many factors.

I think the line of 8.5 games is about right. 8-9 wins. That's an average season from this team as it's constructed. The most positive outlooks are ignoring some faults (passrush? Murray's struggles with out DHop) and the most negative are not considering the strengths of the roster enough.

I think the defense is around league average, but could be better if one of the more unproven pass rushers or two step up.

The offensive line isn't good, but Murray avoids sacks others would take more often than not (even though Murray runs into sacks that he shouldn't).

The strength of the team other than at QB, is the skill positions. The Cardinals have a solid starter at RB and some hope that one of three players will step up (Eno, Ward, Ingram). Wide receiver even without Hopkins is pretty solid. Tight end went from a position that was a negative going into last year, into a position that should be a strength. The Cardinals can throw out Hollywood, Moore, Ertz, Green, and Conner on most plays and there is enough size and speed to cause defenses some problems. And when Murray is on his game and running around, the Cardinals will likely have three players on the field with 4.3ish speed at the same time. Few teams can boast that.

The offensive line isn't a great group, but as Cardinals fans, probably 80% of their lines throughout the Arizona Cardinals era. It's no the disaster that some portend, but it's definitely not a strength. The Cardinals do have some proven depth that have played in the NFL (Murray, Jones, and Harlow) and that's more than quite a few teams can say.
:thumbup:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There are options. I just don’t think there’s a high probability of those options panning out.
I guess I view it differently...remember back in 2001ish when it was a late round draftee from Valdosta A&M and a UDFA that was vying for the starting role as a pass rusher? That's not the case anymore. Myjai Sanders had SIXTY pressures last year, with ten of those coming up against Alabama and top ten pick Evan Neal. That's a guy you can have some hope for. And Cameron Thomas had double digit sacks and was one of college footballs pressure leaders as well. Those are guys you can expect SOMETHING from.

Gardeck and Kennard have actual NFL production. And Golden led the team in sacks last year, not Jones.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I view it differently...remember back in 2001ish when it was a late round draftee from Valdosta A&M and a UDFA that was vying for the starting role as a pass rusher? That's not the case anymore. Myjai Sanders had SIXTY pressures last year, with ten of those coming up against Alabama and top ten pick Evan Neal. That's a guy you can have some hope for. And Cameron Thomas had double digit sacks and was one of college footballs pressure leaders as well. Those are guys you can expect SOMETHING from.

Gardeck and Kennard have actual NFL production. And Golden led the team in sacks last year, not Jones.
You’re talking about 4 seasons ago for Kennard. That’s ancient history in the NFL. And I take even less solace in his ability to make any kind of impact considering he couldn’t beat out a virtually useless Gardeck last season to get on the field. Gardeck has produced but I’m going to reserve hope he can get back there until after he actually shows he’s overcome his injury. Even then, they only wanted to use him in fits and spurts because they were worried his smaller frame couldn’t take protracted pounding by the big boys.

As for the draft picks, I just can’t have much expectations after having seen so much hype about too many Keim draft picks only to watch them either fail miserably or end up buried on the bench.

Quantity of options doesn’t necessarily mean there’s any upgrade or even maintaining the status quo from last year (which Golden was a part of, which is why I haven’t discussed him. His production is baked into the discussion cake already).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You’re talking about 4 seasons ago for Kennard. That’s ancient history in the NFL. And I take even less solace in his ability to make any kind of impact considering he couldn’t beat out a virtually useless Gardeck last season to get on the field. Gardeck has produced but I’m going to reserve hope he can get back there until after he actually shows he’s overcome his injury. Even then, they only wanted to use him in fits and spurts because they were worried his smaller frame couldn’t take protracted pounding by the big boys.

As for the draft picks, I just can’t have much expectations after having seen so much hype about too many Keim draft picks only to watch them either fail miserably or end up buried on the bench.

Quantity of options doesn’t necessarily mean there’s any upgrade or even maintaining the status quo from last year (which Golden was a part of, which is why I haven’t discussed him. His production is baked into the discussion cake already).
Quantity of options DOES matter though. The Cardinals aren't pinning their hopes to one or two guys. If all of those guys chip in 2-4 sacks, that makes up most of last years production.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Chiefs - L
@ Raiders - W
Rams - L
@ Panthers - W
Eagles - L
@ Seahawks - W
Saints (Thursday Night Football) L
@ Vikings - L
Seahawks - W
@ Rams - L
49ers (Mexico City) W
Chargers - W
Bye
vs Patriots (Monday Night Football) L
@ Broncos - L
Buccaneers (Christmas) L
@ Falcons - W
@ 49ers - W

I said 9-8 before I went through each game and now 8-9 is the best I could do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think there will be a net loss, but with a slew of guys contributing instead. The Cardinals have more talent at edge now, but lack the top sack guy in Jones. If Cam Thomas or Myjai Sanders can chip in 4-6 sacks and Gardeck can chip in a 4-6, are the Cardinals that far off? Even Kennard has a history of producing sacks too.

I think you'll see more mistakes from Collins, but less instances where he gets beat physically. Personally, I would have let him play through his mistakes LAST YEAR. During the first 10 games or so, even with mistakes from Collins, the Cardinals probably still have about the same results...and Collins would have gained experience.

And if Collins falters? Nick Vigil is pretty much Jordan Hicks caliber ILB.

You know a good time to blood a rookie? When you are up multiple scores in games that are done by half way through Q3.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The pass rush will most likely be worse than 2014 & that was a BAD push-rushing group.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or maybe Dimukeje pans out. Or Gardeck can get back to his pass rushing prowess of 2020. There are options. Even Kennard has had success in the past, he just hasn't been used as much by Vance.

Better argument here.

I quite like the variety. If Vance is smart and uses them right we have 4-5 guys with very different skill sets. If he keeps them rotating and fresh, and uses them wisely depending on the matchup then I don't think we see a net loss.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Won’t matter if Kyler plays good/great for the whole season. The team just has so many holes to actually do something that matters. From lack of top-end talent to lack of depth.

Pretty much what happened to Herbert last season.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
In my crystal ball we start off looking good in our first 3 games vs playoff teams, yet still come away without a win. We manage 3 wins out of our next 6, making us now 3-6 with this season's playoffs vanishing in the distance. The end of the season looks a lot like last year, with us going 2-6, thus giving us a final record of 5-12. The reverse of fortunes in 2022 seem mainly due to other teams improvement, while the Cards remain weak in areas they seem to continually struggle with.

At season's end, and as usual, the home town talk will consist of being "only a couple players away" from being a regular playoff participant. Yet with continual mediocre drafts and non-favorable cap situations, they remain beggars wishing for horses to ride.

Chiefs - L
@ Raiders - L
Rams - L
@ Panthers - W
Eagles - L
@ Seahawks - W
@ Vikings - L
Seahawks - W
@ Rams - L
49ers (Mexico City) L
Chargers - L
Bye
vs Patriots (Monday Night Football) W
@ Broncos - L
Buccaneers (Christmas) L
@ Falcons - W
@ 49ers - L

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quantity of options DOES matter though. The Cardinals aren't pinning their hopes to one or two guys. If all of those guys chip in 2-4 sacks, that makes up most of last years production.
I just don’t see much quality with any of those options. It’s like saying that Hedo Turkoglu, Josh Childress and Hakim Warrick were going to make up for losing Amare Stoudemire.

I just think it’s very rare that the pupu platter of mediocre options is better than the all in one.

Especially when the D wasn’t all that special to begin with even with Hicks and Chandler playing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I just don’t see much quality with any of those options. It’s like saying that Hedo Turkoglu, Josh Childress and Hakim Warrick were going to make up for losing Amare Stoudemire.

I just think it’s very rare that the pupu platter of mediocre options is better than the all in one.

Especially when the D wasn’t all that special to begin with even with Hicks and Chandler playing.
They finished 11th overall, so it's not like the defense was terrible.

They largely fell apart when CB injuries happened and the offense stopped scoring.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They finished 11th overall, so it's not like the defense was terrible.

They largely fell apart when CB injuries happened and the offense stopped scoring.
Never said it was terrible. Said it want all that special and that 11th overall was built on the first half Of the season when both Chandler and Watt were healthy and the offense was high flying. We no longer have Chandler, we’re coming out of the gates without Hop and expecting Watt to last anymore than six or seven games is setting yourself up for disappointment. We also lost Phillips who wasn’t great but at least was okay in there at times last season. I just fear a sieve for a D-line that gets zero push adding to what I think will be a weaker pass rush.

Is what It is and we can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
A) the above assumes Keim hit on those pass rushers taken in the draft. Considering how bad he’s been at the draft, I don’t know how realistic that is.

B) Vance doesn’t seem to like playing rookies and values veterans so those guys, even if Keim was right about them, might not see all that much time. Especially since Vance was the only major member of the staff and FO not to get extended so he might trust his rookies even less.
Might be exactly why the roster was built like it is. Vance has to play those guys if they are all he has.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm going with my same prediction of 7-11 wins.

I think people are underestimating how good, a focused, healthy Murray is. And as others have stated, the team has like 6 months to prep the offense for no Green.
Lol at a 5 game span. Really going out on a limb there krang.

8-9 wins.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chiefs - L
@ Raiders - L
Rams - L
@ Panthers - W
Eagles - L
@ Seahawks - W
@ Vikings - L
Seahawks - W
@ Rams - L
49ers (Mexico City) W
Chargers - L
Bye
vs Patriots (Monday Night Football) L
@ Broncos - L
Buccaneers (Christmas) L
@ Falcons - W
@ 49ers - W

6-11, worse than what I previously thought. I could see it swinging maybe 2 more wins. I could also see splitting with the 49ers.
not many people were predicting less than 6 wins, kinda shocking now that we might not even get that. this thread is a fun revisit.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
In my crystal ball we start off looking good in our first 3 games vs playoff teams, yet still come away without a win. We manage 3 wins out of our next 6, making us now 3-6 with this season's playoffs vanishing in the distance. The end of the season looks a lot like last year, with us going 2-6, thus giving us a final record of 5-12. The reverse of fortunes in 2022 seem mainly due to other teams improvement, while the Cards remain weak in areas they seem to continually struggle with.

At season's end, and as usual, the home town talk will consist of being "only a couple players away" from being a regular playoff participant. Yet with continual mediocre drafts and non-favorable cap situations, they remain beggars wishing for horses to ride.

Chiefs - L
@ Raiders - L
Rams - L
@ Panthers - W
Eagles - L
@ Seahawks - W
@ Vikings - L
Seahawks - W
@ Rams - L
49ers (Mexico City) L
Chargers - L
Bye
vs Patriots (Monday Night Football) W
@ Broncos - L
Buccaneers (Christmas) L
@ Falcons - W
@ 49ers - L
Sissy boy, you're certainly in the running for best prediction.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Sissy boy, you're certainly in the running for best prediction.
Thanks but I have to admit I have an advantage, a Magic 8 Ball. It always starts me off with a 50/50 chance of success. Without that my success rate is about 30% at best.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose