Game #49 Arizona Diamondbacks @ Los Angeles Angels. 09/15/20

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And Bob Brenly won 303 games in roughly the same period of time. Should we have kept him as well?...

Jerry fired everyone before he was going to sell. I think it was clear Brenly didn’t want any part of rebuilding.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jerry fired everyone before he was going to sell. I think it was clear Brenly didn’t want any part of rebuilding.

Brenly was part of why they had to rebuild. And no franchise has wanted to touch him ever since...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Which is why he will not be fired this year.

So we're going to have to suffer another season like this needlessly instead? How more players will Torey ruin in that time, and will those players include Varsho, Carroll, Robinson, Perdomo, Bukauskas and whatever other pitchers we have coming up?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we're going to have to suffer another season like this needlessly instead? How more players will Torey ruin in that time, and will those players include Varsho, Carroll, Robinson, Perdomo, Bukauskas and whatever other pitchers we have coming up?

You have not shown that TL has ruined any players.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You have not shown that TL has ruined any players.

How do you explain Ray, Weaver, Escobar, Kelly, Ahmed, Calhoun, Rondon, Bumgarner, Lamb, Gallen, Peralta, Hirano, Vogt, Locastro, Duplantier, etc., then?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes Brenly was the reason Williams, Bell, Finley, Grace and Counsell all aged out of the league.

Brenly couldn't even get a job as an assistant afterward. That means something...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Brenly couldn't even get a job as an assistant afterward. That means something...

Brenly was handed a great team because his character/methods were the antithesis of Buck Showalter. He still pushed the right buttons in 01’ and deserves credit but nobody was rushing to hire him because Melvin was seen as the brains. Brenly was also very “choosy” when it came to job opportunities after that. I remember his name popping up for the Cubs job but nothing besides that.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you explain Ray, Weaver, Escobar, Kelly, Ahmed, Calhoun, Rondon, Bumgarner, Lamb, Gallen, Peralta, Hirano, Vogt, Locastro, Duplantier, etc., then?

Ray never recovered from the injury. Weaver was great under TL until his injury. Escobar had a career year last year under TL. So did Kelly and Ahmed.

Gallen is pitching better than in Miami.

You just made my point. Plenty of players have had great success under TL. 2020 is a weird year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ray never recovered from the injury. Weaver was great under TL until his injury. Escobar had a career year last year under TL. So did Kelly and Ahmed.

You just made my point. Plenty of players have had great success under TL. 2020 is a weird year.
Why is it a weird year?

It is the manager's job to not leave it to chance.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Well, they have all fallen off of a cliff this year. 2020 is a weird year for everyone. No other team with talent has gone into the tank like this...

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes. I have said from the beginning that Torey will survive for multiple reasons, one of which being his 3 winning seasons leading up to 2020. You may not like, heck I may not like it, but I think the reality is he starts 2021 as the manager of this team.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why is it a weird year?

It is the manager's job to not leave it to chance.

C'mon nothing about this year has been normal and athletes and coaches are creatures of habit and routine. You have no idea how Torey is handling things in the clubhouse...neither do I. He may be leaving nothing to chance and the players are just not reacting well to all that is going on. It's disappointing but it happens.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
C'mon nothing about this year has been normal and athletes and coaches are creatures of habit and routine. You have no idea how Torey is handling things in the clubhouse...neither do I. He may be leaving nothing to chance and the players are just not reacting well to all that is going on. It's disappointing but it happens.
As it is for all MLB teams. But we are the one who
recently lost 20 out of 24, which led to a fire sale.

Torey's 'habit and routine' are not working in a
competitive league. And his interviews and post-
game demeanor are not inspiring.

The Peter Principle -- in a heirarchy, employees

who are promoted tend to reach their level of
incompetence. Torey has clearly reached his.

Your argument alibis failure. 'Sorry, but I
can't justify that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose