Game #47-SF Giants @ Arizona Diamondbacks. 5/19/19

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I smell a losing season. We just don't appear to be what is called a good ball club.

Bottom of the 9th, one out, man on second...... and we can't get him across.

75 and 87 at year's end. I'd love to be wrong, but....... :sad:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I smell a losing season. We just don't appear to be what is called a good ball club.

Bottom of the 9th, one out, man on second...... and we can't get him across.

75 and 87 at year's end. I'd love to be wrong, but....... :sad:

I predicted 68 wins, expecting a weak offense. The offense has been strong, but inconsistent. Averages are misleading.
If you score ten runs one game, then lose the rest of the series by one, averages look great . . . while losing series.

It is the pitching that is doing us in. A couple of good starts every five games. 7th and 8th inning pitchers who have let
us down. Bob Brenly said the balls are juiced, but they are juiced for every team.

And, with a few rare exceptions, we have abandoned National League style baseball. Hitting balls into the shift or high
into the air. Striking out too often. Not changing your approach when you have one hit over six innings. Hoping you
can get to their 7-8-9 inning pitchers. Stubbornness.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And, with a few rare exceptions, we have abandoned National League style baseball. Hitting balls into the shift or high
into the air. Striking out too often. Not changing your approach when you have one hit over six innings. Hoping you
can get to their 7-8-9 inning pitchers. Stubbornness.

Another consistent criticism I have had of Torey Lovullo.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Another consistent criticism I have had of Torey Lovullo.
Unfortunately, it is the status of all teams. Steve mentioned that some of the best NL
hitters are on pace to hit 84 home runs. So all of the wanna-be's try to get on board.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it is the status of all teams. Steve mentioned that some of the best NL
hitters are on pace to hit 84 home runs. So all of the wanna-be's try to get on board.

But Lovullo has always taken an AL all-power approach, even in 2018 after the humidor was installed at Chase Field, which resulted in historic offensive struggles at home. Lovullo can't, or rather won't, manufacture runs NL-style. He still thinks he's in Boston...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
But Lovullo has always taken an AL all-power approach, even in 2018 after the humidor was installed at Chase Field, which resulted in historic offensive struggles at home. Lovullo can't, or rather won't, manufacture runs NL-style. He still thinks he's in Boston...

And yet, he's somehow carved out a .540 win % over his Dback coaching career. It's not as if he's ever been afforded a wealth of talent. And this season, aside from Greinke, there isn't one other legit star on the entire roster. It will be a miracle if he has this team sniffing the .500 mark come season-end.
He's not perfect... and maybe it's just me. But it seems entirely inappropriate to be going after Torey when the team itself is, at best, slightly above the Island of Misfits.
Our starting pitching lives off of 2 pitchers - Greinke and Weaver. With an occasional showing from Kelly. But otherwise, Ray continues to be a massive disappointment and Godley will likely be gone any day now.
The pen is putrid with not one trust-worthy arm whatsoever. I guess Holland has been the most reliable, but even he's been struggling over the past 2 weeks.
Offensively, Escobar squeaks into the top 10 in the NL in HR's and RBI. And that's it. No other player in any Top 10 offensive category. Which isn't a surprise of course when you scan the names on this roster.
We knew going into this season, that 2019 was going to be a massively challenging year. I'm amazed frankly, that we're still above .500. That's gonna end soon. You can only live with 2 starters and no offensive star(s) for so long.
But as for Torey, I give him big props for the job he's done since he took over.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And yet, he's somehow carved out a .540 win % over his Dback coaching career. It's not as if he's ever been afforded a wealth of talent. And this season, aside from Greinke, there isn't one other legit star on the entire roster. It will be a miracle if he has this team sniffing the .500 mark come season-end.
He's not perfect... and maybe it's just me. But it seems entirely inappropriate to be going after Torey when the team itself is, at best, slightly above the Island of Misfits.
Our starting pitching lives off of 2 pitchers - Greinke and Weaver. With an occasional showing from Kelly. But otherwise, Ray continues to be a massive disappointment and Godley will likely be gone any day now.
The pen is putrid with not one trust-worthy arm whatsoever. I guess Holland has been the most reliable, but even he's been struggling over the past 2 weeks.
Offensively, Escobar squeaks into the top 10 in the NL in HR's and RBI. And that's it. No other player in any Top 10 offensive category. Which isn't a surprise of course when you scan the names on this roster.
We knew going into this season, that 2019 was going to be a massively challenging year. I'm amazed frankly, that we're still above .500. That's gonna end soon. You can only live with 2 starters and no offensive star(s) for so long.
But as for Torey, I give him big props for the job he's done since he took over.

I agree!

As I've posted before, although I've disagreed with some of his moves (is there a Manager who has never been
disagreed with?), I commend Torey on the job he is doing with this roster and on his professional personality.

But I agree with 1Sun that we need a new Pitching coach. Do we need a new Bullpen coach? We have no way
of knowing how theD-backs are set up. Is Fetters the relievers' coach/decision maker or is he an assistant to
the Pitching Coach? My guess is that Mike has input, but is not the decision maker about the relievers.

When the call comes from the dugout to the bullpen, they tell him whom to get up to fit the situation.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
That's what I like about you BC, you can criticize Torey but give him props when due. I agree with all of you about Fetters and pitching coaches. We have sucked in that area. But I believe Torey has done a very good job with what he has to work with, not perfect, but a very good job. He is not perfect but neither are any of us.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That's what I like about you BC, you can criticize Torey but give him props when due. I agree with all of you about Fetters and pitching coaches. We have sucked in that area. But I believe Torey has done a very good job with what he has to work with, not perfect, but a very good job. He is not perfect but neither are any of us.
Thanks for the compliment, AZ. You are a kind person. Actually, all of us should recognize
when our Manager does well but hold him accountable (from a fan's perspective) for a bad
approach or decisions.

Unfortunately, 1Sun, I and a few others weren't able to find very much that Igor did well
with the Suns, mainly because of his extremely passive personality and his poor job of
creating X's and O's (as well as having an unbalanced roster). But that is another story.

Last edited: