Game #43 Los Angeles Dodgers @ Arizona Diamondbacks. 09/08/2020

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This will probably be ugly. Perhaps the home cardboard cutouts can provide a spark for the boys.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We've won 2 out of the past 18 . . . and counting.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We've won 2 out of the past 19 . . . and counting.

When all is said and done, this very well could end up being the worst sustained stretch of baseball in franchise history.

Meanwhile, our farm system is also heading in the wrong direction, dropping from #4 to #9 in the rankings.

This franchise is in serious trouble...

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
When all is said and done, this very well could end up being the worst sustained stretch of baseball in franchise history.

Meanwhile, our farm system is also heading in the wrong direction, dropping from #4 to #9 in the rankings.

Do we just let this season be a wash or did this season magnify the underlying issues this team had?

I think the number 1 issue is lack of leadership in the locker room. There has not been any player that has stepped up to take on that leadership role.

Players have regressed defensively, where they excelled previously. The lack of hitting has always been an issue for extended period of times under Lovullo and Hazen.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This whole organization is a wreck...top to bottom. With Gallen not pitching, I see a sweep by the Dodgers. Brutal.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do we just let this season be a wash or did this season magnify the underlying issues this team had?

I think the number 1 issue is lack of leadership in the locker room. There has not been any player that has stepped up to take on that leadership role.

Players have regressed defensively, where they excelled previously. The lack of hitting has always been an issue for extended period of times under Lovullo and Hazen.

Both. It can be a wash while still exposing the underlying issues. My fear is there are so many built in excuses this year that the Dbacks will think they can go into 2021 without changes and somehow succeed.

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
Both. It can be a wash while still exposing the underlying issues. My fear is there are so many built in excuses this year that the Dbacks will think they can go into 2021 without changes and somehow succeed.
That's my fear as well. They need to definitely make some changes. I get building from within, but they need to bring in some good leaders. And honestly I think Lovullo has ran its course. We could use a manager that demands more out of his players instead of excusing their poor performance

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That's my fear as well. They need to definitely make some changes. I get building from within, but they need to bring in some good leaders. And honestly I think Lovullo has ran its course. We could use a manager that demands more out of his players instead of excusing their poor performance
And one who knows how to let young players acclimate and adjust to the Major Leagues.

In the short time that Varsho has been up, he has started at four positions -- CF, C, LF, DH.

Luvullo's OBSESSION that every one is a starter (Jon Jay?) and many of the players cannot
prepare fully for a starting position (an increase in errors and sloppy play in the field) is
sabotaging hopes of rebuilding positively.

The D-backs need to name their Bench Coach as Interim Manager immediately, if he convinces
management that he is not bound by Lovullo's chaotic style and obsession with hitting every
pitch in the air.

The longer Lovullo is with the team, the longer it will take to ultimately undo the damage (at
least a half decade).

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BTW, I wonder how Lovullo would react if he comes to the park, not knowing if he is going to be
the Head Coach (Manager), Bench Coach, Pitching Coach, Bullpen Coach, Hitting Coach for the
game, or just go sit in the stands.

A bit of an extreme comparison, but jobs are jobs. Preparation is preparation. Comfort level
and confidence are comfort level and confidence.

That is all part of building a winner. And we're a long from that.

Considering the situation, I wish Hazen would give MadBum the respect of trading him to a
functioning team since the fire sale.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BTW, I wonder how Lovullo would react if he comes to the park, not knowing if he is going to be
the Head Coach (Manager), Bench Coach, Pitching Coach, Bullpen Coach, Hitting Coach for the
game, or just go sit in the stands.

A bit of an extreme comparison, but jobs are jobs. Preparation is preparation. Comfort level
and confidence are comfort level and confidence.

That is all part of building a winner. And we're a long from that.

Considering the situation, I wish Hazen would give MadBum the respect of trading him to a
functioning team since the fire sale.

The way he has pitched this year, I can't imagine any team wanting to trade for him...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The roof is open, BTW. So we should see some of the "lift" reach the seats.

Which team will it benefit more?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The way he has pitched this year, I can't imagine any team wanting to trade for him...
Perhaps, any team that has not lost 2 of their
past 18 games, part of which has had a fire sale.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Do you have an inside source telling you he does not demand more out of his players? I don't either. A good manager praises in public and criticizes in private. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
Do you have an inside source telling you he does not demand more out of his players? I don't either. A good manager praises in public and criticizes in private. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

I don't. And true, I don't expect a manager to come blast players in the media. But the constant "we didn't do enough" saying isn't getting any players attention. A manager that commands a locker room doesn't go 2-19 either.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't. And true, I don't expect a manager to come blast players in the media. But the constant "we didn't do enough" saying isn't getting any players attention. A manager that commands a locker room doesn't go 2-19 either.

Yes. When a team is in a major losing streak, any talk of blasting players is a subterfuge.

If the players are at fault, that reflects bad management for putting that team together.

Or for making it difficult for the players to develop and succeed.

One or two bad apples among the players would be their fault.

The whole team? It's got to be management.

What is the proof? It has been posted numerously. A Manager who announces that he
will play guys who hit the ball in the air. And who is afraid/hesitant to assign roles on
the team.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Meanwhile, as previously noted, the roof is open.

It is windy in the ballpark.

And the home team is taking advantage of it with
HR's sliced down the lines. Varsho & Calhoun.

D-bacls lead 5-1 after 4.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
New pitcher Bergen is in to pitch the 5th.

Weaver had a rocky 4th for the D-backs.

Dodgers score a run in the top of the 5th,
then the bases are loaded with two outs.

And the D-backs make another pitching
change. Mella is in. He struck out the side
against the Giants yesterday.

And a ground ball leaves the bases loaded.

5-2 D-backs.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Rondón strikes out the side in the 6th.

A fun game, so far. 'Feels good!

And a Peralta forceout in the bottom
of the 6th makes it 6-2.

Dodgers make it 6-3 in the top of the
7th. Runners on 2nd & 3rd . No one out.

Crichton in to pitch gives up a 2-run
double and it's 6-5. Well, it was fun
while it lasted!

Dodgers had stranded 10 runners.

The D-backs now walk their 9th batter.
1st & 2nd with one out. A single and
the game is tied. Runners on 1st & 3rd.

A spectacular double play started by
Rojas behind 2B and we remain tied.

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a great play by Rojas, wow

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Good play at 1B by Walker leaves the bases loaded. Still tied.

As Steve pointed out, D-backs pitchers have given up way
too many walks recently even with some bad calls. 10 so far
in 8 innings this game.

Luckily the Dodgers have left 14 on base.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave