Gambo's Plan and Ultimatums

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you read "Gambo's Plan" in the Republic today, he proposes that the Cardinals should start Josh McCown at QB, sign a cheap veteran FA QB to back up McCown, re-sign Jenkins and start him with Gilmore and McAddley, and go on an all-out shopping spree by outbidding all other suitors on Colvin, Okeafor, Holliday and Jackson...to essentially acquire the "cornerstones" of the defense. He concedes that the offense will struggle, but the defense will keep the games close...and that defenses build championships. Gambo also propses that the Cardinals use their first four picks in the draft all on defense...and use picks 5-7 on offense. He asserts that the Cardinals should take either Jimmy Kennedy or Terrence Newman with the #6 pick regardless of whether Carson Palmer or Byron Leftwich are available.

My reaction. I believe that this current offense could be one of the more productive offenses in the NFC...the offensive line could be dominating...Marcel Shipp is a workhorse at RB...with the addition of a solid QB, another starting WR and a FB...there's no reason to concede that the offense will stink next year.

I like his plan to stockpile defensive cornerstones even if it means overpaying them to get them here. The Cardinals will HAVE to overpay the likes of Colvin, Okeafor, Holliday and Jackson to get them on board. Should they overpay these players? I think they should overpay TWO of these four...my favorites being Colvin and Okeafor...and add lower to mid-level free agents such as DE Willie Whitehead, S Ronnie Heard, and LB James Darling.

As for the draft, if the Cardinals have a chance to select Byron Leftwich or Carson Palmer, they MUST! The franchise needs a new franchise QB and they find themselves in a fortuitous position in the draft to select one, assuming one of them will be still on the board at #6. I like Kyle Boller, too, who will be a late first-round pick, more than likely, which means trading down and adding another 2nd or 3rd round pick would be great.

I also feel quite certain that one of the stud DTs in this draft will still be on the board at #37 because the DT/DE pool is deep.

As for the contracts offered to Kordell Stewart and Roosevelt Colvin, since both of these players seem to be using the Cardinals as leverege in their contract negotiations, it would be best if the Cardinals call their agents and issue a 12 hour ultimatum..."Here's our best offer...it's on the table for 12 more hours...if you don't accept, we're moving on." No more twisting in the wind.

dlovin

Reaction score
I agree with your last line.

Regarding Gambo: don't put much stock in what he says.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree about ading cornerstones to the defense I wouldn't mind seeing the Cards add 2 of those players from the list. I think the cards should go Leftwich in the draft, I wanted Suggs but this team has too many holes to fill to land a one deminsional player. I wouldn't be too mad at the Cards if they landed Colvin, Leftwich, E Smith and a few mid-level Free agents.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned something very similar to that last week. We need to focus everything on making our Defense better. I agree with Gambo on this one.

Here is what I said earlier:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6383

Originally posted by MadCardDisease
Everyone knows that defense wins Championships and the Cardinals have a pretty pathetic defense right now.

Even with David Boston, Jake Plummer and all of the millions of dollars we had tied up in the offense last year it never worked out. It's time we go back to the defense and make it great again. We need to go after Defense in the draft and find some quality Defensive players in FA.

Face it, our offense in not going to be one of the elite ones anytime soon. However with our O-Line it can be somewhat competitive. Until our Defense can play with the big boys this team is going to struggle. It's time to forget about the Offensive Juggernaut pipe dream and build a quality defense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
yeah, i agree, we should focus everything on defense 'cuz we can look back and see what kind of fruit focusing everything on one side of the ball bore for us when we did so with the offense - oh wait, the offense crapped out, hmm, maybe don't do this.

if we did what gambo suggested we will be watching the worst offense in the history of the nfl. i am not exaggerating. it will be the worst offense ever. no defense will be able to "keep it close" with that offense.

as for everyone clamoring for this great OL and Shipp the workhorse to carry us, think on these two points:

We have just cut our starting C and our RT is still trying to come back from a serious injury and we don't know how good he'll be, then we're talking about taking one of Gs and plunking him at C, flip-flopping our G and LT and starting one of our backup Gs. So, when all is said and done we've got three players playing in new positions, a former backup and a player coming off of injury. this dominating OL may not dominate.

shipp. i hope he ends up proving me wrong, but i don't think he can CARRY the offense. is he a good back, yeah. is he a great back? no. at least, not from what i've seen. he's a plugger. he's tough and instinctive. he doesn't have a lot of wiggle or corner-turning speed. and, he's really only done what he's done for less than a year. i know i'm gonna get slammed for this, but he sounds a heck of a lot like ronald moore to me. i am hoping he proves me wrong, but pinning all of your hopes on this guy becoming a stud as the focal point of your offense seems awfully optimistic, especially for a team that should NEVER warrant optimism.

so, let's play musical offensive lineman, throw out our inexperienced rb, qb, and wrs and see 'em not be the laughing stock of the nfl. should be fun. WHEEEEEEEEEE! (i'm just loving the wild ride that is rod gravesland).

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I posted this in an earlier thread and I can't believe I'm even....*cough*......partly......*cough*.......agreeing with Gambo. I think most of his editorials are idiotic.

Also, IMHO, I think we should skip on Suggs. Now before you start screaming at me hear me out.

The teams two glaring needs are QB and ANYONE who can put pressure on the QB. I pray the Cards get Colvin, Okeafor, (and while we are at it Hugh Douglas would be nice).

Problem solved.

Then concentrate as much effort as you are talking about on Leftwich. I've seen the kid play and he is the real deal. I also believe that at the QB position you effect the outcome of the game more than a DE. All the opinions on Jake posted here proves my point. Love him or hate him, one way or another his play had a tremendous effect on the outcome.

I really believe if the scenario I printed out here plays out, there will be reason for good optimism for next season.

P.S. I also believe some of the OT's in this league can throw an undersized guy like Suggs around like a rag doll. Just my opinion.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DevonCardsFan
E Smith and a few mid-level Free agents.

Oh god Devon please tell me you arent on the E. Smith Bandwagon??? :roll:

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Walter Mitchell
If you read "Gambo's Plan" in the Republic today, he proposes that the Cardinals should start Josh McCown at QB, sign a cheap veteran FA QB to back up McCown, re-sign Jenkins and start him with Gilmore and McAddley, and go on an all-out shopping spree by outbidding all other suitors on Colvin, Okeafor, Holliday and Jackson...to essentially acquire the "cornerstones" of the defense. He concedes that the offense will struggle, but the defense will keep the games close...and that defenses build championships. Gambo also propses that the Cardinals use their first four picks in the draft all on defense...and use picks 5-7 on offense. He asserts that the Cardinals should take either Jimmy Kennedy or Terrence Newman with the #6 pick regardless of whether Carson Palmer or Byron Leftwich are available.

I am a huge fan of the defense and if this scenario happened I would have 0 problems with it whatsoever. In fact that could be a real good D. Just sign one stopgap QB and this team could actually be pretty good!

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the defense and if this scenario happened I would have 0 problems with it whatsoever. In fact that could be a real good D. Just sign one stopgap QB and this team could actually be pretty good!

I agree. However, we need more than a stop gap QB on O. But, I think we need to focus on our defense. Definately..

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
I agree. However, we need more than a stop gap QB on O. But, I think we need to focus on our defense. Definately..

I think a stopgap IE a Blake with our current line and Shipp with Mcaddley and Gilmore at the WR could do quite well especially with a dominating defense on the field?

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
I think a stopgap IE a Blake with our current line and Shipp with Mcaddley and Gilmore at the WR could do quite well especially with a dominating defense on the field?

We need to add someone to replace Boston. At least he pulled double coverage.

On defense. We need multiple pass rushers. We need Colvin, Okefer/Holliday, Jackson.

If we got these guys then we take Leftwich or Suggs. (although every day I think more and more that Suggs will not be there. I hope so but his stock is just rising).

If Leftwich and Suggs are gone then Kennedy or Newman. Trade down into teens.

I know that points, and lots of them sell but I think Defense wins games.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
We need to add someone to replace Boston. At least he pulled double coverage.

I know that points, and lots of them sell but I think Defense wins games.

We will never replace boston there is just nobody out there with that ability or talent on the field. I am very excited about Mcaddley upside though. He may not be the physical specimen but hes not small and he can burn. The guy looked good for being so raw.

I agree DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS not just GAMES!

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
We will never replace boston there is just nobody out there with that ability or talent on the field. I am very excited about Mcaddley upside though. He may not be the physical specimen but hes not small and he can burn. The guy looked good for being so raw.

I agree DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS not just GAMES!

Agree. We will not be able to replace Boston. But, it would be nice to have someone who would command a double team. Alas, there is no one out there. I just hope we do not take a WR with our first pick. Unless we trade down and get a couple extra pics then maybe take a WR in the 2nd.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
How bout trying to fill holes as much as possible with FA and use the draft to bring in the best players regaurdless of position.

Free agency is for hole filling because the player can contribute immediately.

The draft is a horrible way to fill holes cause the hole is still there for one maybe two more years!!!! Even first rounders are sometimes questionable to start right away.

Plus if you draft based on the best player that opens up trade possiblities later on when you get overstocked as you likely will.

With todays salary caps trading only works so well but it still is an option to lessen the overstocking that can occur when you take just the best player on the board.

I would take Leftwich no matter what, from the accounts I have read and watching him play I feel he is one of the rare can't miss type guys like Elway that come along only so often.

He's a pocket version of Vick in that he has a very strong arm but I believe he is smarter and more of a leader than Vick is. He would do well with a line like we have and in a year or two he should displace the caretaker that we get through FA and we would be set at QB for 10 years.

The Cardinals could build right now for a 4 or 5 year run and I have to believe thats whats happening. You cannot tell me they aren't shooting for new FULL stadium. Yes if any organization were stupid enough not to it would be our team yet I think even they get it this time.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read Gambo's article, and (I'm not sure why, but) I hated it. Maybe by talking things out, I'll figure out why:

1. You can hang up "Defense Wins Championships" right up there with "It ain't over til it's over" and "we'll take it one game at a time." Mike Martz used a high-powered offense to bring the Rams to a Super Bowl one year after the Ravens got to the promised land with a dominating defense. What wins championships is scoring more points than the other guy either by limiting his offensive production or racking up points.

2. Josh McCown may be a heckuva QB some day. But if he's still playing the way he did when he got into games last year, he'll have the few remaining fans we still have puking in their pizza.

3. Branch Rickey once said that: Luck is the residue of design. On the surface this sounds like he meant: "Plan your work and work your plan..." But what I think he was really saying was: Prepare in advance for any opportunities that may come along - so that when they do - whether it's a free agent who suddenly becomes available or a draft choice that drops into your lap - you're ready to make the right decision - either to leap on that puppy or to give it an El Paso. No one way is the right way - Carpe Diem (Seize the moment - in the various forms opportunity might appear).

4. What I suspect is screwing up the Cardinals' off-season FA program is a lack of vision and/or the failure to effectively and credibly articulate it to FA's who come through here.

Rod Graves and Coach Mac should be able to tell each guy: "Here's where we're going. We're going to plug a couple of holes on offense by adding a capable veteran QB and an impact WR to replace Plummer and Boston. If we can find the right guy, we're going to upgrade our lead blocking too. We're going to pound the ball on offense, and when teams bring the safety up to stop it, we're going to hit the new guy, Martay, Gilmore and McAddley deep.

After that, everything we else we do will focus on establishing a defense that terrifies people - starting with a pass rush, adding a second shutdown corner, adding some beef inside and filling in other defensive holes.

We can do this all in one year. We have the bucks. We know what it takes.

THAT's what you tell your visiting firemen. And you back it up by signing people (even if it costs a bit more than some bean counter would like).

5. Instead of vision - all we see, hear and talk about - at least in the media - is how the team has no direction, is grasping at straws and is floundering in nowhere land.

Seems pretty obvious to me that the way you fix this is to set some goals, communicate them clearly, early and often and then get after it. (This isn't rocket science, folks. The pity of it all is that it's so do-able I could cry. Yet - at least from outward appearances - you don't get the feeling FA's who come through here are "getting religion.").