Gambo: Trade Nash for Iverson?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was listening to Gambo last night. He proposed trading Nash for Iverson. I didn't get to listen to why because it was up for conversation later in the night.

I've been thinking about it. He makes a good point, what do you think?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iverson needs to possess the ball like Kobe to be effective. I like D'Antoni's team concept so no thanks to A.I.

HooverDam

Reaction score
This is honestly the dumbest thing I've heard recently.

CardNots, please, explain ONE reason why AI for Nash would be a good trade?

It would have to be AI, Iggy, Steven Hunter, and a number one pick for Nash. And even then, I'd turn it down.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I heard Gambo say he hated AI, I couldnt see him saying that.

OP
OP
CardNots

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is honestly the dumbest thing I've heard recently.

CardNots, please, explain ONE reason why AI for Nash would be a good trade?

It would have to be AI, Iggy, Steven Hunter, and a number one pick for Nash. And even then, I'd turn it down.

As I said it was Gambo's thoughts for discussion last night. He did promote the idea not me. I didn't get to listen to the points he was to make on the idea.

As far as I'm concerned, my thoughts follow.

I'm not an Iverson fan but in the games I have seen him, he can distribute the ball. He enjoys doing it but his supporting cast just don't seem to get it.

He requires double teaming. He can drive to the basket. He can shoot the rock. I don't know if he is younger than Nash or not.

I know I'm against the grain here, but frankly I can see him meshing well with Amare, Diaw and Marion. Also, Nash's value will continue to drop as he ages at least I think so.

Don't get me wrong I like Nash but having a team with two superstars would strike fear in other teams. Nash is the MVP but I still don't consider him to be on the same level as Iverson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I like Nash but having a team with two superstars would strike fear in other teams. Nash is the MVP but I still don't consider him to be on the same level as Iverson.

So a two time MVP does not qualify as a superstar?

I'll take substance over flash anyday. Actually I like AI's game, but not for the Suns.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
terrible, TERRIBLE idea.

Why don't we trade Marion of Dunleavy, Diaw for a pick, and Amare for cash?

:rolleyes:

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I could see some wanting to trade LB for AI... that trade makes more sense. They both are scorers, and need the ball in their hands to do so. Problem is, AI is 5'2" tall, and Nash is already small - who would he guard?

For the record, I think AI is terribly overrated. Yeah, he is tough, and yes, he does things that most can't - however, his career shooting percentage is not impressive. If you take a lot of shots - you are going to score more than others.

OP
OP
CardNots

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So a two time MVP does not qualify as a superstar?

I hear you and it was hard for me to say that. Having won the MVP doesn't mean you are a superstar in the league, just the most valuable player for your team. No question he is the MVP of the SUNS.

I don't consider the league assists leader to be a superstar.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I hear you and it was hard for me to say that. Having won the MVP doesn't mean you are a superstar in the league, just the most valuable player for your team. No question he is the MVP of the SUNS.

This post gets my vote for the "2006 Most Idiotic, Moronic, Stupidest Post of the Year Award". Way to snag that award at the 11th hour....

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This post gets my vote for the "2006 Most Idiotic, Moronic, Stupidest Post of the Year Award". Way to snag that award at the 11th hour....

:stupid:

MVP means that you are the most valuable player of the LEAGUE, not only your team.

I don't know whats worse, his comment about Nash, or considering trading Nash for Iverson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It all comes down to winning. Actually Steve Nash was awarded two MVP awards by the NBA, not the Suns (although I'm sure the Suns would like to do so as well).

HooverDam

Reaction score
Steve Nash isn't a superstar in the NBA?! Steve Nash is one of only a handful of NBA players that most people (including non sports fans) could probably name. The NBA and its network affiliates push Nash's face like crazy because he is not only great, but he's a great guy too.

Lets think about this INSANELY stupid trade for a minute, the Suns starting lineup would be:

AI, Bell, Marion, Diaw, STAT.

Who the hell is going to pass the ball?

Furthermore, we KNOW this current Suns team works well together (11 game win streak, back to back Pacific Division champs, back to back WCF)...why mess with chemistry?

Good God, this thread gives me a headache.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steve Nash isn't a superstar in the NBA?! Steve Nash is one of only a handful of NBA players that most people (including non sports fans) could probably name. The NBA and its network affiliates push Nash's face like crazy because he is not only great, but he's a great guy too.

We have a Chinese exchange student in our home from a smaller city in central China. Before she left, the boys in her class asked her to send them a picture of her with Steve Nash.

not Amare,

not Marion

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No way he could have proposed it for Nash, I could see Marion, Barbosa for Iverson and Iguodala maybe, but the Suns wouldn't take the risk.
I would like to see how Iverson and Nash would play together tough.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I can't imagine any justification for this idea. I'd be interested to hear what Gambo's alleged "points" were.

Nash is a better shooter.
Nash is a better distributor.
Nash has no problem creating his own shot.
Nash has a history of hitting big shots in clutch situations.
Nash makes a lot less money.
Nash is a much better teammate.

I like Iverson, but there is a reason Nash is the two-time league MVP.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave