Gambo: “Dbacks have explored trade with Kris Bryant”

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, this would certainly make for an interesting twist, though if you think we would need to give up significant prospects and money for Starling Marte, that's nothing compared to what we would have to give up for Bryant. At the same time, I can't help but salivate over the possibility of Bryant at 3B, Escobar at 2B and Ketel Marte at CF...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Well, this would certainly make for an interesting twist, though if you think we would need to give up significant prospects and money for Starling Marte, that's nothing compared to what we would have to give up for Bryant. At the same time, I can't help but salivate over the possibility of Bryant at 3B, Escobar at 2B and Ketel Marte at CF...

Yeah if you don’t want to give up a top-5 prospect for Marte you wouldn’t give up two for Bryant.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Regular line-up if this very unlikely trade is pulled off:

1. Ketel Marte CF
2. David Peralta LF
3. Eduardo Escobar 2B
4. Kris Bryant 3B
5. Christian Walker 1B
6. Kole Calhoun RF
7. Carson Kelly C
8. Nick Ahmed SS
9. Pitcher

The clear weakness in this line-up would be lack of a true lead-off hitter (coming off of the year he had, I really hate not batting Ketel Marte in the heart of the order, but in this line-up, he is the closest thing to a lead-off hitter that we have) and lack of speed on the bases, but in terms of contact and power, WOW!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Regular line-up if this very unlikely trade is pulled off:

1. Ketel Marte CF
2. David Peralta LF
3. Eduardo Escobar 2B
4. Kris Bryant 3B
5. Christian Walker 1B
6. Kole Calhoun RF
7. Carson Kelly C
8. Nick Ahmed SS
9. Pitcher

The clear weakness in this line-up would be lack of a true lead-off hitter (coming off of the year he had, I really hate not batting Ketel Marte in the heart of the order, but in this line-up, he is the closest thing to a lead-off hitter that we have) and lack of speed on the bases, but in terms of contact and power, WOW!

If they get Bryant somebody needs to break the humidor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This whole thing also begs the following question:

If Hazen is willing to cough up the money and prospects for Bryant, why didn't he just hang on to Goldy last year and extend him?

I don't think there's any chance at all this trade happens. Just wouldn't make sense when paired with the Goldy decision.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think this trade happens.
I do think "a_holy_crap" trade happens before the season starts. I don't think Hazen is comfortable with the roster just yet.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Hazen is willing to cough up the money and prospects for Bryant, why didn't he just hang on to Goldy last year and extend him?

I don't think there's any chance at all this trade happens. Just wouldn't make sense when paired with the Goldy decision.

Because:

1) Goldy is four years older
2) Goldy was in his last year before free agency.
3) St. Louis offered a great haul for him
4) Goldy wanted at huge contract - takes him to age 36. No need to do so.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because:

1) Goldy is four years older
2) Goldy was in his last year before free agency.
3) St. Louis offered a great haul for him
4) Goldy wanted at huge contract - takes him to age 36. No need to do so.

1) 3 years older, and also the face of the franchise.
2) Bryant is also in his last year before free agency, unless the Cubs win their lawsuit against him regarding years of service.
3) The haul wasn't all that great, and it will almost certainly take more than that to acquire Bryant.
4) Bryant also wants a huge contract that will take him at least to 36.

Sorry, but no way is a trade for Bryant happening.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1) 3 years older, and also the face of the franchise.
2) Bryant is also in his last year before free agency, unless the Cubs win their lawsuit against him regarding years of service.
3) The haul wasn't all that great, and it will almost certainly take more than that to acquire Bryant.
4) Bryant also wants a huge contract that will take him at least to 36.

Sorry, but no way is a trade for Bryant happening.

I agree, a trade is unlikely, but I expect the Cubs will win the extra year of club control. They currently have it, it is Bryant who is fighting to get it revoked and, while I agree with him that the Cubs obviously manipulated his service time, the CBA allows them to do so.

That extra year of control will also make him more expensive to trade for.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bob Nightengale is reporting that if anyone is going to trade for Bryant, it's the Braves, now that they have lost out on Josh Donaldson. Makes sense. Starling Marte is probably a better fit for us trade-wise, anyway.

With a Starling Marte trade, our line-up would likely be:

1. Starling Marte CF
2. David Peralta LF
3. Ketel Marte 2B
4. Eduardo Escobar 3B
5. Christian Walker 1B
6. Kole Calhoun RF
7. Carson Kelly C
8. Nick Ahmed SS
9. Pitcher

That line-up is solid, balanced, has speed and baserunning at the top, power in the middle and overall solid contact, and can be competitive with anyone.

Make it happen, Mike Hazen.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Bob Nightengale is reporting that if anyone is going to trade for Bryant, it's the Braves, now that they have lost out on Josh Donaldson. Makes sense. Starling Marte is probably a better fit for us trade-wise, anyway.

Nightengale is the least credible national guy. Gambo isn’t much better but i think he’s leaking interest so the Diamondbacks can gauge reaction. Much like the early Bumgarner reports.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nightengale is the least credible national guy. Gambo isn’t much better but i think he’s leaking interest so the Diamondbacks can gauge reaction. Much like the early Bumgarner reports.

Nightengale was the first to report the Peralta extension...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Nightengale was the first to report the Peralta extension...

And the first to say the Phillies were out of the Harper sweepstakes, Greinke won’t be traded and Murray committed to the A’s over football. Reporting moves after deals are official are a bit different.

Notice Gambo didn’t name prospects in talks or that anything was close. I think it’s the team just publicly leaking interest.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And the first to say the Phillies were out of the Harper sweepstakes, Greinke won’t be traded and Murray committed to the A’s over football. Reporting moves after deals are official are a bit different.

Notice Gambo didn’t name prospects in talks or that anything was close. I think it’s the team just publicly leaking interest.

Waste of time, then. Just pull the trigger on a Starling Marte trade, call it a day, and start building team chemistry for Spring Training.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

With all due respect to Goldy and what he meant to the Diamondbacks, he performance in clutch situations was declining.

It made sense to trade him while he had value.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
FYI, Gambo was on Doug and Wolf this morning and admitted that it was just internal banter within D-Backs management about what the Cubs would want in a Kris Bryant trade, with not a word exchanged between the D-Backs and Cubs. Put this rumor to bed.

On to Starling Marte (I hope)...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
FYI, Gambo was on Doug and Wolf this morning and admitted that it was just internal banter within D-Backs management about what the Cubs would want in a Kris Bryant trade, with not a word exchanged between the D-Backs and Cubs. Put this rumor to bed.

On to Starling Marte (I hope)...

Exactly what I said. They fed him this to just get it out there.

I would rather have Bryant than Starling but at least the latter would move Ketel back to the IF. He was breaking down on the crappy turf out there.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Exactly what I said. They fed him this to just get it out there.

I would rather have Bryant than Starling but at least the latter would move Ketel back to the IF. He was breaking down on the crappy turf out there.

Actually, this sounds more like Gambo jumping the gun, which in my opinion is extremely irresponsible reporting.

At this point, I just don't want to be stuck with the crap buffet of Rojas, Leyba, Vargas, Young and Lamb as regulars in our line-up at second base (third base for Lamb).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

With a Starling Marte trade, our line-up would likely be:

1. Starling Marte CF
2. David Peralta LF
3. Ketel Marte 2B
4. Eduardo Escobar 3B
5. Christian Walker 1B
6. Kole Calhoun RF
7. Carson Kelly C
8. Nick Ahmed SS
9. Pitcher

That line-up is solid, balanced, has speed and baserunning at the top, power in the middle and overall solid contact, and can be competitive with anyone.

Make it happen, Mike Hazen.

Made it happen. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave