FYI Mayfield

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not clear yet but a Browns fan I know says apparently he might need surgery. They think the shoulder actually popped out of the socket and they reset it in the tent. But they're concerned he may need in season surgery. He said yesterday it was worse than the original injury and they were going to do an MRI not clear if its' already done but sounds like he may need surgery. The way Watt reacted he clearly thought Baker was done for the game.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After looking at the way he fell, I thought he was done for sure, considering he already had issues with the labrum.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
He sure is tough, but I don't think it is a great idea to go through the entire season this banged up. He should consider surgery -- even if it costs him the rest of the season. He is still very young and has his entire career ahead of him.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He sure is tough, but I don't think it is a great idea to go through the entire season this banged up. He should consider surgery -- even if it costs him the rest of the season. He is still very young and has his entire career ahead of him.
Agreed 100%. He’s tough - he’s proved his toughness. This is twice now this season he’s dislocated the shoulder, had it put back, and re-entered the game. He could do what Kurt Warner did in 2007 and play one-armed the rest of the year, or he could do the smart thing as a young QB with a long career in front of him and get the surgery now to return hopefully by next year.

Not saying Kurt wasn’t smart by any means - just that he wasn’t 24-25 with 10-15 years left in him. You play the long game at Baker’s age IMO.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He definitely should have the surgery asap. With BOTH RB's ailing & their OL in shambles, he might get himself killed back there. Keenum is a decent backup also, especially if their walking wounded come around before they're mathematically eliminated.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Being a “seasoned” Cardinals fan, when Mayfield went down I immediately placed a live in game bet on the Browns + 8.5.
I knew Keenum would come in and rally them. It’s just the Cardinals way. Lol.
Obviously lost once Baker went back in but I’m good with that.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He shouldn't have got back in the game they where 3 Scores behind and hadn't really anything going and a short week.

Now probably out for the next 5 weeks even some say done for the season.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they've confirmed now the shoulder popped out and was put back in. He wants to play next game, which is Thur, they're doing a 2nd MRI or appointment to see if he can play. This is the stuff that infuriates me about the NFL and coaches etc. This guy is not as good as Kyler but he's your franchise QB, protect him. He's tough, he clearly wants to play, but it's YOUR job to protect him. Don't put his career at risk by letting him tough it out.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sounds like they've confirmed now the shoulder popped out and was put back in. He wants to play next game, which is Thur, they're doing a 2nd MRI or appointment to see if he can play. This is the stuff that infuriates me about the NFL and coaches etc. This guy is not as good as Kyler but he's your franchise QB, protect him. He's tough, he clearly wants to play, but it's YOUR job to protect him. Don't put his career at risk by letting him tough it out.
Is Baker a franchise QB? I think that concept is kind of in doubt.

Unless by franchise QB, you mean the guy that happens to play for your team long term, then yes, Mayfield fits in that category.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Unless by franchise QB, you mean the guy that happens to play for your team long term, then yes, Mayfield fits in that category.

he is THEIR franchise QB. There are obviously better young QB's around, Kyler being one but I don't see the logic in risking him especially with all the injuries on the OL, RB and WR. Not saying they should tank but risking his health to me is just wrong.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was watching closely, and he was using that arm as little as possible. Like reaching across with the other arm to do his chin strap, etc. I give him props for coming back into the game. Most guys would not have done that. Would not surprise me if he ends up on the IR. The way he landed it looked real bad.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
he is THEIR franchise QB. There are obviously better young QB's around, Kyler being one but I don't see the logic in risking him especially with all the injuries on the OL, RB and WR. Not saying they should tank but risking his health to me is just wrong.
100% on your side, even if he isn't as good as the top 10 QB of the future, in the right system he is a better game manager than Smith and that might be enough to sneak a SB out with a good team at some point maybe. But at least be relevant or in the playoffs every year or second year if the team is build properly. But from what I see they are not concernd about him, probably he isn't in the long term plan and they want to trade for Watson, Rodgers, Wilson. Who knows.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad it's not his throwing shoulder but if he's thinking long haul he needs to take of that pronto

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
100% on your side, even if he isn't as good as the top 10 QB of the future, in the right system he is a better game manager than Smith and that might be enough to sneak a SB out with a good team at some point maybe. But at least be relevant or in the playoffs every year or second year if the team is build properly. But from what I see they are not concernd about him, probably he isn't in the long term plan and they want to trade for Watson, Rodgers, Wilson. Who knows.
I know the dude running the show in Cleveland. I can assure you this is a 100% false statement.

The browns are a first class organization (now).

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know the dude running the show in Cleveland. I can assure you this is a 100% false statement.

The browns are a first class organization (now).
than you don't let your QBoF go on the field when the game is over and he reinjured his shoulder. Nobody can guarantee you that the guy will be ever the same if he has to undergo a surgery.

The outside view on this is quite the opposite of what you say or they might think or really want. But on the other hand, sometimes you make mistakes, maybe this was one by the Browns organisation.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Baker’s had 3 coaches in 4 years and they were awful before he got there. He’s not a star QB but who are they signing/drafting that’s better?

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Baker’s had 3 coaches in 4 years and they were awful before he got there. He’s not a star QB but who are they signing/drafting that’s better?
Rodgers, Wilson, Watson ... else I don't know

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

49er fans are saying they should trade Jimmy G to the Browns for OBJ. If OBJ is healthy(shoulder) no way that deal would get done, if he's hurt why in the world would they trade for him.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would the Browns want to pay Carrapolo that contract to be the backup?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
49er fans are saying they should trade Jimmy G to the Browns for OBJ. If OBJ is healthy(shoulder) no way that deal would get done, if he's hurt why in the world would they trade for him.

Well Baker’s numbers are a lot better without OBJ in the lineup so I could see them trading him but not for a QB.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Baker’s numbers are a lot better without OBJ in the lineup so I could see them trading him but not for a QB.

Also makes no sense for 49ers their Wrs have to block, especially if they trade Jimmy and make Lance the starter