FYI Mayfield

Bkbobo

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I guess the question is. What defines a franchise quarterback? Is it a quarterback that plays for the same team for several years and hopefully in the same offensive system? Is it a quarterback that can make average player look better? Is it a quarterback you believe in order to be successful, you have to have them in a particular system and particular players around them?

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I guess the question is. What defines a franchise quarterback? Is it a quarterback that plays for the same team for several years and hopefully in the same offensive system? Is it a quarterback that can make average player look better? Is it a quarterback you believe in order to be successful, you have to have them in a particular system and particular players around them?
When people talk about the Browns offense, the beginning of the conversation is the running game, then the offensive line, then how efficiently Mayfield manages the offense.

He hasn't even been a 4000-yard passer yet and to be fair, neither has Murray. Barring injury, Murray should be able to easily surpass 4000 this year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Different era.

A long term starter isn't necessarily a franchise QB.

I dont consider Baker Mayfield to be their best player.
Meh same concept. Ken O’Brien was another example. Same with Chad Pennington. Same with flacco. Phil Simms. McNabb. Matt Ryan for most of his career. Tony romo. There are a handful of elite QBs at any given time. But a franchise QB means a QB you can win with if you get stars at other positions.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When people talk about the Browns offense, the beginning of the conversation is the running game, then the offensive line, then how efficiently Mayfield manages the offense.

He hasn't even been a 4000-yard passer yet and to be fair, neither has Murray. Barring injury, Murray should be able to easily surpass 4000 this year.
If Plummer panned out we would’ve considered him our franchise QB and he wasn’t extraordinarily talented and never would’ve been the best player on a good playoff team.