FXFL: NFL developmental league

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I noticed the article didn't say anything about how they would fill the coaching staffs.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think the draw back about having a developmental league in football is the physicality of the sport. One plays the minor leagues in baseball where the skill is improved and the physical strain is far less but in football you use a little of what you are up every time you take the field

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
1st thing I thought about too.

Good place for a coach to get an opportunity.

If the players are going to be paid a pittance to play then how would you justify paying coaches more to coach? I can't see say a guy like Bowles or Horton taking a head coaching job at this level and taking a huge pay cut just to get some HC experience. This whole idea sounds to me like a failure waiting to happen.

It's one thing to give fringe players a chance to improve their skills and techniques however unless you have coaches that can help them achieve improvements then its all for naught.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If the players are going to be paid a pittance to play then how would you justify paying coaches more to coach? I can't see say a guy like Bowles or Horton taking a head coaching job at this level and taking a huge pay cut just to get some HC experience. This whole idea sounds to me like a failure waiting to happen.

It's one thing to give fringe players a chance to improve their skills and techniques however unless you have coaches that can help them achieve improvements then its all for naught.

True, but when it comes to coaching football, the demand vastly out numbers the supply.

People will take it.

CardinalMike

Chickens can't clap!
Reaction score
Hopefully this league or another based on the same premise succeeds. The de facto slavery system set up by the NCAA can't be the only main road into the NFL.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
1st thing I thought about too.

Good place for a coach to get an opportunity.

Really? It would seem to me that there are s-tons of places for coaches to get opportunities. Mostly in high schools, but also colleges. Those are the real experimental proving grounds of the football game.

I feel bad for the players who feel like they don't get a chance to prove themselves in the NFL, and I hope this is an opportunity to help them feel better about their chances, but I'm not sure why this would be a better outlet than the CFL or Arena Leagues, where NFL talent frequently finds a home.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
By the looks of the article, it looks like they're sending the Lions down to AAA.

Attachments

• NFLMInorLeague.jpg
    NFLMInorLeague.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 224

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
True, but when it comes to coaching football, the demand vastly out numbers the supply.

People will take it.

I agree people will take it however it does pose the question of how good the coaching would be. I would imagine most quality coaches are already snapped up either at the pro or college levels. I am not saying they would all be bad I just think it would be more hit and miss at this level especially at the pay scale they would be in.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a Cardsfan, I have seen enough bad football for two lifetimes, so I will pass on this garbanzo.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Really? It would seem to me that there are s-tons of places for coaches to get opportunities. Mostly in high schools, but also colleges. Those are the real experimental proving grounds of the football game.

I feel bad for the players who feel like they don't get a chance to prove themselves in the NFL, and I hope this is an opportunity to help them feel better about their chances, but I'm not sure why this would be a better outlet than the CFL or Arena Leagues, where NFL talent frequently finds a home.

Yeah, really.

If it is actually a developmental league for the NFL, then where better to get experience ?

Its not like the college football game is mirroring the game in the NFL. For every Chip Kelly there is a Nick Saban or Bobby Petrino.

You wanna learn how to play against, and in a spread offense then yeah, plenty of jobs out there.

Not many opportunities to groom oneself for a NFL based job.

Just a thought tho.

You wanna

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I agree people will take it however it does pose the question of how good the coaching would be. I would imagine most quality coaches are already snapped up either at the pro or college levels. I am not saying they would all be bad I just think it would be more hit and miss at this level especially at the pay scale they would be in.

LOL.

Well, that is a completely different question.

Money talks, and the best coaches will be following the money.

I completely agree the coaching will be sub-par, but again, for experience purposes, it is a great opportunity.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There are reasons this could work and reasons that it probably will not. It could work by providing players with a professional environment, NFL level playbook and terminology, and NFL level preparation. If you want to know where players fail is that they don't know how to work, struggle to compete physically, and get lost in the complexity of the pro game. If a league can address these issues, it could be a success. If not, it never will. You need to have a success story if you want to keep your doors open and be taken seriously.

All that said, the NFL is about what you are comfortable with and I still find it tough to believe NFL teams would cut a player they drafted in the past yera or two for an equally unproven guy with, more than likely, less athletic talent.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There are reasons this could work and reasons that it probably will not. It could work by providing players with a professional environment, NFL level playbook and terminology, and NFL level preparation. If you want to know where players fail is that they don't know how to work, struggle to compete physically, and get lost in the complexity of the pro game. If a league can address these issues, it could be a success. If not, it never will. You need to have a success story if you want to keep your doors open and be taken seriously.

All that said, the NFL is about what you are comfortable with and I still find it tough to believe NFL teams would cut a player they drafted in the past yera or two for an equally unproven guy with, more than likely, less athletic talent.

I guess the feeling is that it's another vector for teams looking to churn what's out there on the street. The argument to make is that there isn't a league outside the NFL where a 320 lbs. offensive guard can get film out there--he's too big for the CFL or Arena league. Same thing with a blocking tight end.

The problem for this league is that the supply of these guys completely overwhelms the demand for them. You could increase this league by three and not run out of guys with a dream to play professional football in the NFL. That doesn't mean that anyone is going to pay to watch it.

On the coaching question, coaching in the NFL is far more about networking and relationships than it is about talent. There's no reason to believe that 70% of the position coaches in the NFL aren't interchangeable, and that the top position coaches in the NCAA ranks couldn't be competitive with these guys. Assistants get jobs because the coordinators and head coaches like and trust them. A minor league that doesn't have clear relationships to the clubs above them isn't going to change that.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
LOL.

Well, that is a completely different question.

Money talks, and the best coaches will be following the money.

I completely agree the coaching will be sub-par, but again, for experience purposes, it is a great opportunity.

Your comments made me think. If these squads were somehow linked to NFL teams in much the way baseball's minor league system is then I think it would have a decent chance of being successful. Then you could not only develop players but develop coaches. They don't have to be tightly knitted but should have some type of relationship. They could have maybe only a 8-10 game schedule. The roster could be somewhat smaller. There is no doubt the owners have enough money to make this happen.

Oh, and don't ask me how I came to these thoughts based on your comments. Us old people have wandering minds. ;)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this league or another based on the same premise succeeds. The de facto slavery system set up by the NCAA can't be the only main road into the NFL.

Talk about over exaggeration.

Slavery? Really?

Let's see - limits to practice, free food, free housing, free EDUCATION. Considering the vast majority of players don't make the NFL, or AFL, or CFL - if they took advantage they end up with a free college education.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Slavery? Really?

Let's see - limits to practice, free food, free housing, free EDUCATION. Considering the vast majority of players don't make the NFL, or AFL, or CFL - if they took advantage they end up with a free college education.

This

CardinalMike

Chickens can't clap!
Reaction score

Slavery? Really?

This is the internet of course it's an exaggeration.

That being said, do you really believe that the current NCAA student athlete system is fair?

If I gave you free housing and food would you come work your ass off in my $8 billion dollar business? I'll throw in the chance for a college "education" (disclaimer: I'll set it up so you don't really have to attend classes or do classwork because I really need you focused on your job.)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your comments made me think. If these squads were somehow linked to NFL teams in much the way baseball's minor league system is then I think it would have a decent chance of being successful. Then you could not only develop players but develop coaches. They don't have to be tightly knitted but should have some type of relationship. They could have maybe only a 8-10 game schedule. The roster could be somewhat smaller. There is no doubt the owners have enough money to make this happen.

Oh, and don't ask me how I came to these thoughts based on your comments. Us old people have wandering minds. ;)

I'm wandering with you.

Every owner has a relative that they could put in charge of running a "farm" system team. The pay required for the players is basically nothing so one could pay a decent amount for coaches.

I'm asking myself would I watch the Cardinals farm team games. Not so sure during the fall but definitely would during the spring into the summer. Think about all the time many of us spend watching youtube videos and hours of reading research for the NFL Draft. I would love to watch developing Cards players actually play football games.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'm wandering with you.

Every owner has a relative that they could put in charge of running a "farm" system team. The pay required for the players is basically nothing so one could pay a decent amount for coaches.

I'm asking myself would I watch the Cardinals farm team games. Not so sure during the fall but definitely would during the spring into the summer. Think about all the time many of us spend watching youtube videos and hours of reading research for the NFL Draft. I would love to watch developing Cards players actually play football games.

It would be fun to see players that were placed on the practice squad play in a league like this. Somehow link these guys to the rosters in the developmental league.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would be fun to see players that were placed on the practice squad play in a league like this. Somehow link these guys to the rosters in the developmental league.

Yep, just like MLB.

If I'm Michael Bidwill I start a franchise in this new league, let Bill Jr. run it. Have Keim hire a developmental GM and HC so that we have talent in the pipeline. Give the farm team GM the task of finding pass rushing talent as priority #1. When Lindley gets cut he can be signed by the farm team.

Seriously love this idea and I've not even scratched the surface of how it can be helpful to the Cards.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson