Future of the Suns

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
The future of the Suns came up on the thread about the current potential of this season's healthy roster.
I thought future of a roster that hasn't even been realized yet deserved their own thread.

Here is the Suns current contract situation and I think it shows pretty well who currently is the 'core' group.

The players are listed by the year they are FA.

2010 Amare Stoudemire - player option
2010 Steve Nash - team option
2010 Raja Bell
2009 Kurt Thomas
2008 Shawn Marion - player option
2008 James Jones - player option

So I see this as our core group of players
I don't think these players should or will be moved before they have a chance to play together.

The next group of players have contract decisions approaching

2007 Boris Diaw
2007 Leandro Barbosa
2007 Eddie House
2007 Dijon Thompson - team option
2007 Nikoloz Tskitishvili
2006 Brian Grant - player option
2006 Pat Burke - ?

Obivously Diaw and Barbosa should be retained from this group.
Grant and House returning looks like it will be largely up to them as they have a player option and an opt out clause respectively.

Most likely Tskitishvili and Thompson will have to use the off season and the summer league to fight off competition from any new FA or draft picks.

Pat Burke I am not sure about. I am not even really sure how long his contract is. Again, like Thompson and Tskitishvili, if he makes it to traing camp next year he will be fighting for a spot from young players.

Tim Thomas who is not shown above is an interesting case. Right now he is a rental player. How he plays the rest of the season and his contract expectations will determine if he will return. If he fits in, who knows, he may decide to stay. Although I figure if he fits in that well another team would be more likely to out-bid the Suns for him.

I really like the core group along with Diaw and Barbosa as a solid 8 players going into next season.

In the off season they need to look at another power player up front and a point guard to backup Nash. I like the potential depth at the wing positions of Tskitishvili and Thompson while also possibly retaining Tim Thomas.

Grant, House, Burke, and Barrett are probably gone soon even if they manage to return next season.

Right now the Suns future is bright. It seem to me they need to stay the course with that main group through next season at least and look for additions to the roster via the draft and free agency.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Grant, House, Burke, and Barrett are probably gone soon even if they manage to return next season.

IMO, extending Diaw's contract is a must.

I would also like the Suns to give Barrett a good look as a backup PG if his play merits it (and he makes it past the (2) ten day contract periods).

I figure there's a good chance House may move on to a more lucrative contract elsewhere after the year. Burke (unless he flubs it the remainder of the season), probably can get a spot somewhere on the Suns 15 man roster should he desire. In regard to Grant (in the comments I've heard), it sounds like he is almost folding his tent already.

Thus, if the Suns get lucky enough to draft the backup PG of the future in the draft (and House leaves), it would still be nice to have another uptempo PG on the roster (not that House is really a PG). Barbosa is what he is and I hope the Suns can afford to keep him. He certainly should be able to fill House's role.

mikowhy

from Poland
Reaction score
I think we need more big players unless Skita becomes good 20 min men.

We can use the draft pick acquired from Hawks to select point guard for the future.