Future CF

LT 27 SM 31

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am hoping it will be Terrero. We signed Cruz for 1 year. I think next year should be Terrero's. I think Terrero Should be starting rather than McCracken....Isnt he batting under .200?

Thoughts?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
LT 27 SM 31 said:
I am hoping it will be Terrero. We signed Cruz for 1 year. I think next year should be Terrero's. I think Terrero Should be starting rather than McCracken....Isnt he batting under .200?

Thoughts?

I think either Terrerro or Carlos Quentin are starting in CF next season. Cruz will be nothing more than a one-year option to keep the seat warm and allow each to develop.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quentin will be starting next year, either in left or center.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Carlos Quentin is not really fast enough for a CF, but he's considered a natural RF. Marland Williams is potentially our future CF, if he continues to look as good as he has been. But if we draft Upton, the predictions are that HE will be the CF in 3-4 years.

btw - you don't think Joe will offer Gonzo a couple year extension? I think it's almost a guarantee. The problem isn't Gonzo, anyhow - it's that lump of coal Shawn Green. (Who will ALWAYS be a Dodger to me.)

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quentin does not project as a CF, but Id count on seeing him in Dback colors soon enough in RF. Drew could be moved to CF, but its doubtful that he will be signed. If Upton does not stay in the infield its a pretty good bet that he would be our starter in CF, provided that he is drafted and signed (a very good possibility). Marland Williams is a ridiculously fast CF prospect currently down in AA, but he still has a long way to go. Cruz has done really well for us this year, I think theres a good chance he will be resigned. I am a big fan of Terrero and its a shame people are giving up on him. Whether or not he becomes our CF still remains to be seen, however.

therealnod

Reaction score
Hi Zenny,

Marland Williams will never be a regular big leaguer. Terrero's used his Yu-Gi-Oh card for the last time. Q's obviously a waste. There is no real solution in the Snakes system for CF. Or SS. For all the talent coming up...it's been, horribly misjudged. Jackon's rightful position is 1B. Quentin's is RF. Where do you put Tracy? He's the player most likely to get dealt. For all the feel-good vibes generated so far this season, there are still so many unanswered questions. Be skeptical; they killed any sense of roster utility because Joe just doesn't know. Not a hater, just a realist.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
therealnod said:
Hi Zenny,

Marland Williams will never be a regular big leaguer. Terrero's used his Yu-Gi-Oh card for the last time. Q's obviously a waste. There is no real solution in the Snakes system for CF. Or SS. For all the talent coming up...it's been, horribly misjudged. Jackon's rightful position is 1B. Quentin's is RF. Where do you put Tracy? He's the player most likely to get dealt. For all the feel-good vibes generated so far this season, there are still so many unanswered questions. Be skeptical; they killed any sense of roster utility because Joe just doesn't know. Not a hater, just a realist.

Having an A+ prospect like Conner at first and another good young player at first like Tracey is a great problem. When you can stockpile talent it puts you in a position to deal for the missing pieces.

As for CF, I have been pleasantly surprised by the play of Cruz.

How many of you thought the Dbacks would be in first place on May 16?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the Diamondbacks don't take Upton. I want them to take a college pitcher. I think using the first pick of the draft on a high school player is a bigger risk than a college player.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
I hope the Diamondbacks don't take Upton. I want them to take a college pitcher. I think using the first pick of the draft on a high school player is a bigger risk than a college player.

I just hope they draft somebody they can sign.

therealnod

Reaction score
I'm sure none of the realistic fans thought the Dbacks would see first place, and I would expect that the realists probably can't imagine them staying there for much longer. Keep in mind, they've played 9 games against the Rockies. Still, it's quite a pleasant surprise, and I hope it can continue.

The conventional sabermetric thinking is that drafting college players carries less risk. While I believe that to be true for position players, for pitchers I'm not so sure. For one thing, college coaches aren't inclined to go easy on young arms. A team can scout a high school kid, find out what kind of workload he's had, then protect him while he's in their system. Still, drafting a pitcher of any kind is very risky. TINSTAAPP.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
therealnod said:
I'm sure none of the realistic fans thought the Dbacks would see first place, and I would expect that the realists probably can't imagine them staying there for much longer. Keep in mind, they've played 9 games against the Rockies. Still, it's quite a pleasant surprise, and I hope it can continue.

The conventional sabermetric thinking is that drafting college players carries less risk. While I believe that to be true for position players, for pitchers I'm not so sure. For one thing, college coaches aren't inclined to go easy on young arms. A team can scout a high school kid, find out what kind of workload he's had, then protect him while he's in their system. Still, drafting a pitcher of any kind is very risky. TINSTAAPP.

It's a risk worth taking. Roger Clemons, Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Mark Prior are just a few that come to mind.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
therealnod said:

They also swept the Dodgers in LA for the first time EVER. I wouldn't run out and bet any money but I'm encouraged.

therealnod said:

Seems to me like the Dbacks "protected" a few pitchers like you described and they had Tommy John Surgery anyway. The MLB draft is a crap shoot no matter how you look at it.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
It's a risk worth taking. Roger Clemons, Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Mark Prior are just a few that come to mind.

Half the pitchers you mentioned didn't become stars with their original teams.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
devilalum said:
I just hope they draft somebody they can sign.

Amen to that.

Zona90 said:
I want them to take a college pitcher. I think using the first pick of the draft on a high school player is a bigger risk than a college player.

The problem with that Zona is that the only pitcher I can think of in this year's class that's worth spending the top pick on is Weaver.. And he's another who's held out and another Scott Boras client. I don't want to see the Snakes go through that hassle again. If the kid from Miami comes out, we've got a different story on our hands.

Green Machine said:
Half the pitchers you mentioned didn't become stars with their original teams

Good point. Johnson was sporatic in Montreal and if I'm not mistaken he wasn't even the prize chip in the Langston deal. Meanwhile, Schilling didn't truly reach All-Star status until he was well in to his Philadelphia career and didn't reach potential Hall of Fame status until he was in Arizona.

As for Prior, I think the verdict is still out on him. Yes, he's got overwhelming talent.. However he can't seem to stay healthy.

therealnod

Reaction score
The reason I'm not sure whether or not drafting high school pitchers is riskier than drafting college pitchers is because...I haven't seen all the results. Which arms flame out more and when? Why? There are still alot of questions to answer about this stuff. Bringing up risks when talking about pitchers is precisely what TINSTAAPP is all about. Every drafted pitcher is risky, more so than position players.

There Is No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
The problem isn't Gonzo, anyhow - it's that lump of coal Shawn Green. (Who will ALWAYS be a Dodger to me.)

I said at the time I didn't understand the extension. One year til Carlos was ready was good enough.

Shawn Green's numbers this year are NOT pretty. A .690 OPS for a corner outfielder is ugly.

.248/.307/.383/.690

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson