Fry's Electronics pulls the plug

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Rivercard, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Bummer, another one bites the dust. Was a pretty good store in it's heyday......

Fry's Electronics is shutting its doors for good

Source: https://www.theverge.com/

Fry’s Electronics, one of the last big brick-and-mortar electronics store chains in the United States — and a Silicon Valley institution in particular — is permanently closing nationwide, the company has officially confirmed Wednesday, following Tuesday evening reports from SF Bay Area broadcaster KRON4, as well as Bill Reynolds and Matthew Keys.

"After nearly 36 years in business as the one-stop-shop and online resource for high-tech professionals across nine states and 31 stores, Fry’s Electronics, Inc. (“Fry’s” or “Company”), has made the difficult decision to shut down its operations and close its business permanently as a result of changes in the retail industry and the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic," reads a statement from Fry's.

Even before the COVID-19 pandemic, the family-owned business had been pushed to the brink of extinction by online retailers like Amazon, Newegg and more. Initially, the company started a campaign to price-match any item you could find online. It added a children’s toy aisle, huge racks of As Seen on TV gadgets, even perfume. But things got worse. By 2019, what used to be a paradise of gadgets, computers, components, video games, audio equipment and appliances had turned into ghost warehouses filled with empty shelves.

Read more: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2021/2/24/22298616/frys-electronics-going-out-of-business

2. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

My friends and I used “the student loaner program”, aka the 30 day money back guarantee, to repeatedly buy the Cannon XL1 camera for 3k to shoot DOWN AND OUT 2 at the start of every month. Then return it at the end of every month and find a new Fry’s two days later to buy another one. Wash rinse and repeat for two years until we were done filming.

RIP Fry’s. You basically paid for my crash course in filmmaking.

3. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

They've been dying a slow death for years.

Got some good deals there, but it was always an odd place to shop. Definitely not your typical retail environment.

4. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Lots of empty shelves over the last couple years.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  5. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

The one in Sunnyvale is a 5 minute walk from where I live we used to go there often. For the last 2 years plus they were renting out the parking lot to Apple and other high tech companies who had too many employees and not enough parking. The shuttle buses would pick up people there too. They were doing anything they could to make money that was one of the ways.

Sad but it was clear it was going to happen eventually.

6. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

I'll miss it, but I admit I hadn't been there much in the waning years. I spent a ton of money there over the years though.

7. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Aha, it was you who put them out of business!

cheesebeef likes this.
  8. thirty-two

thirty-two boglehead Contributor

I wonder who will take its place at Thunderbird and 31st Ave- ish. That place is huge.

9. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Future site of an Amazon distribution center...? :shrug:

10. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

I was staying at the Pointe at South Mountain once and there was a Fry's across the street. About 4am I woke up and heard this incredible racket. I looked outside and saw the Fry's parking lot full and all this commotion. I'm wondering wth? Then it dawned on me... Black Friday.