OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘Friends’ reunion special arrives on HBO Max on May 27

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/friends-reunion-special-arrives-on-hbo-max-on-may-27.html

The long-awaited “Friends” reunion special will arrive on HBO Max on May 27, exactly one year after it was originally expected to debut on the streaming service.

The reunion was delayed multiple times due to production shutdowns during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. It had been slated to be filmed in early 2020, but was only able to begin filming this April.

The program will feature all six “Friends” stars — Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry, and David Schwimmer. It’s estimated that each actor was paid $2.5 million for participating in the special.

“Friends” aired its final episode in 2004, but has had a major resurgence in pop culture because of streaming. Younger generations, who missed out on the sitcom in the late ’90s, have gravitated toward it in recent years. Its popularity resulted in a bidding war from platforms that wished to own the content.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jennifer Aniston - 52 Years old
Courtney Cox - 56 years old
Lisa Kudrow - 57 years old
Matt LeBlanc - 53 years old
Matthew Perry - 51 years old
David Schwimmer - 54 years old

Yeah, the women especially have had a lot of treatments

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Jennifer Aniston - 52 Years old
Courtney Cox - 56 years old
Lisa Kudrow - 57 years old
Matt LeBlanc - 53 years old
Matthew Perry - 51 years old
David Schwimmer - 54 years old

Yeah, the women especially have had a lot of treatments
Of all 6, Lisa Kudrow seems to have aged the most gracefully. If she had work done, it isn’t as obvious as the others. Matthew Perry got Ross’ teeth-whitener I guess.

LeBlanc aged the most naturally. Or maybe he aged about how I see myself aging. Lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of all 6, Lisa Kudrow seems to have aged the most gracefully. If she had work done, it isn’t as obvious as the others. Matthew Perry got Ross’ teeth-whitener I guess.

LeBlanc aged the most naturally. Or maybe he aged about how I see myself aging. Lol

Perry not only had work done, but dude seemed like he was on a different planet.

I thought the reuinion was pretty dry and boring. LeBlanc was entertaining though.

I feel like he’s the only one who went on to do something really good with EPISODES. Even that show wasn’t great as the writers were a pill. But he was consistently hilarious kinda playing himself.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was entertained. Felt bad that chandler just seemed the odd man out. Crazy that he felt stressed out of his mind throughout the series to get laughs. Also interesting how self conscious phoebe was. And the fact that there are some of them who haven’t watched the entire series to this day.

Joey put on weight since his show, episodes. Which I thought was entertaining.

overall it was fun to watch, but a little bittersweet feeling my mortality staring back at me.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Apparently Matthew Perry had some sort of dental emergency right before the filming. Apparently he was still in a bunch of pain during the filming. If true, you’ve got to feel bad for the guy since everyone now is talking about how ‘off’ he was.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Apparently Matthew Perry had some sort of dental emergency right before the filming. Apparently he was still in a bunch of pain during the filming. If true, you’ve got to feel bad for the guy since everyone now is talking about how ‘off’ he was.
Man that sucks if true. That said, I think everyone made a mountain outta a molehill with the slurring. It was nothing. More disappointing that he just didn’t join in more. But if what you say is accurate it makes sense.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

I guess they couldn't they just delay the filming for a day?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's funny how much things have changed in 20 years. I always thought Friends was a relatively tame and safe sitcom, but I don't think it could be made now. The cast had no diversity which I don't begrudge because that is very common amongst friend groups, but there has been a huge diversity push in the entertainment industry since. And Monica's whole origin story was very "fat-phobic" to use a term bandied about today.

It holds up better to the sensibilities of today than a show like Married with Children from the 90s which I can still enjoy and appreciate. Every once in a while I flip past a MWC episode in syndication and I wonder whether there is a list of episodes that are blacklisted for syndication. I also remember watching All in the Family reruns in the early 2000s and couldn't believe topics broached and dialogue written.

One day Friends will have disclaimers if they don't already do.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny how much things have changed in 20 years. I always thought Friends was a relatively tame and safe sitcom, but I don't think it could be made now. The cast had no diversity which I don't begrudge because that is very common amongst friend groups, but there has been a huge diversity push in the entertainment industry since. And Monica's whole origin story was very "fat-phobic" to use a term bandied about today.

It holds up better to the sensibilities of today than a show like Married with Children from the 90s which I can still enjoy and appreciate. Every once in a while I flip past a MWC episode in syndication and I wonder whether there is a list of episodes that are blacklisted for syndication. I also remember watching All in the Family reruns in the early 2000s and couldn't believe topics broached and dialogue written.

One day Friends will have disclaimers if they don't already do.

Even 20 years ago friends was critiqued for the lack of diversity - not so much among the cast, as you pointed out a same race group of friends wouldn't be unusual, but the whiteness of the supporting cast/background cast - NYC is one of the most racially/ethnically diverse cities in the world, but you would think you were in Maine or Idaho based on the supporting cast/background.

Aisha Tyler was the first non-white supporting cast member - 9 years after the debut.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even 20 years ago friends was critiqued for the lack of diversity - not so much among the cast, as you pointed out a same race group of friends wouldn't be unusual, but the whiteness of the supporting cast/background cast - NYC is one of the most racially/ethnically diverse cities in the world, but you would think you were in Maine or Idaho based on the supporting cast/background.

Aisha Tyler was the first non-white supporting cast member - 9 years after the debut.

Yeah. I do remember the criticism.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I don’t recall the criticism back then, but it was warranted.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess they couldn't they just delay the filming for a day?

It was already delayed more than a year because of Covid. Since they rebuilt the sets, had a number of guests, and a live panel they needed to nail down a date for everything. Pushing it again wasn't likely something anyone wanted to deal with, especially at the last minute.That's a lot of talent to push also for 1 person who was willing to push through it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Nice...I didn't know they did this. I need to watch because I just finished this show a few nights ago. Funny show except for the Joey/Rachel storyline; that was pretty dumb.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA