free agent options

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't help but feel a bit disappointed with the lack of activity especially after the excitement of the draft and rumors of Griffin.

Honestly it doesn't make sense for the Suns to sign anyone unless they feel they could be part or the long term future. It especially doesn't make sense to take on bad contracts for middling assets like late first round picks.

Cap space is becoming increasingly more valuable by the day. It makes sense to sit on it for a great opportunity. Some of these teams particularly in the West trying to compete this year may find themselves underperforming when the trade deadline comes around and need to shed salary.

It's not too difficult to imagine a team like New Orleans under achieving again and deciding to move Cousins. Just an example.

I'd sign Big Sauce and maybe Len if cheap and call it an offseason.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It might make sense to sign Len and/or Sauce to short 1 or 2 year deals, even if it costs more money. Keep those options open for the future. We have the money now, we just don't want to over commit our future.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help but feel a bit disappointed with the lack of activity especially after the excitement of the draft and rumors of Griffin.

Honestly it doesn't make sense for the Suns to sign anyone unless they feel they could be part or the long term future. It especially doesn't make sense to take on bad contracts for middling assets like late first round picks.

Cap space is becoming increasingly more valuable by the day. It makes sense to sit on it for a great opportunity. Some of these teams particularly in the West trying to compete this year may find themselves underperforming when the trade deadline comes around and need to shed salary.

It's not too difficult to imagine a team like New Orleans under achieving again and deciding to move Cousins. Just an example.

I'd sign Big Sauce and maybe Len if cheap and call it an offseason.

I'm disappointed with the lack of activity as well.

Not only is cap space becoming more valuable but draft picks are increasing in value as well. They supply cheap talent to the NBA. I guess the Suns would be in better position to look at both options if they did not have Knight's contract. With all the PGs in the league it looks like he will be very difficult to trade him.

I think expiring contract will be back in vogue. This might be the type contracts to trade for.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing makes me happier than the lack of activity. Last thing this team needs was to add a guy like Griffin or Milsap.

I love our young core I say let them play there hearts out this season. We're going to miss the playoffs again combine that high pick with the Miami picks and maybe a player or 2 then strike it big next year

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am thrilled Boston signed Hayward. Good for our picks from Miami. Sucks to be a Jazz fan. That could happen to us someday too.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I am thrilled Boston signed Hayward. Good for our picks from Miami. Sucks to be a Jazz fan. That could happen to us someday too.

It could happen. Sarver is doing much better lately but I think the perception that he is cheap and incompetent is still out there. IMO Phoenix is still a much nicer place to live than SLC.

The only thing that will truly restore the Suns rep and get the monkey off Sarver's back is winning. If the Suns win 45 or so games this year with their young core all the talking heads will be yammering about the "up and coming Suns!!" and free agents will take notice.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The NBA is presently looking like most teams will be farm teams for the super teams. I have the same concern for the Suns. Appearance counts a lot. If the Suns had acquired Griffin he would helped give the appearance (for future free agents) the Suns are in line to become a super team. It's a sad state of affair.

The Jazz did it the right way and here they are.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now the Celtics are looking to trade for Marc Gasol. The rich always get richer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any rumors the Suns doing anything via trade or free agency? I have wasted a lot of time waiting.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd rather they sit this off-season out no need to take action just to take action. Something tells me we will be sitting in the catbird's seat come the trade deadline when teams need us to facilitate trades.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns didn't have Josh Jackson, Jae Crowder would look very good in a Suns uniform. The Suns even thought about signing him in free agency years back but they were distracted by pursuing Aldridge at the time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If the Suns didn't have Josh Jackson, Jae Crowder would look very good in a Suns uniform. The Suns even thought about signing him in free agency years back but they were distracted pursuing Aldridge at the time.
We are beginning to get crowded. We have two deep at every position but C (where no good players become available often) and sg. Seems unwise to pick up SFs and PGs and PFs, even young ones, when weve already got young depth there:

Bledsoe ulis
JJ warren
Chriss bender

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather they sit this off-season out no need to take action just to take action. Something tells me we will be sitting in the catbird's seat come the trade deadline when teams need us to facilitate trades.

I was hoping the Suns could pick up a 1st round pick in facilitating a trade. However, I totally agree about the trade deadline presenting opportunities.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are beginning to get crowded. We have two deep at every position but C (where no good players become available often) and sg. Seems unwise to pick up SFs and PGs and PFs, even young ones, when weve already got young depth there:

Bledsoe ulis
JJ warren
Chriss bender

I understand about the depth but Crowder is a heck of a player on a reasonable contract. However, it doesn't look like the Suns have a place for him. Too bad.

The Jazz will probably get Crowder in a sign and trade. If so, what a rebound from losing Hayward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many picks do we need?

As many as we can get. :)

Seriously if the Suns are rebuilding moving older players for first round picks makes sense. The Western Conference is so talented the Suns need to plan for the next window of opportunity. Also clearing salary may be just as important when teams start regretting the moves they made in free agency.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PHX can do whatever next year but they need to tank in 2019 to win the Marvin Bagley III sweepstakes. That kid is the next KD.

chickenhead

Reaction score

I agree. I was intrigued by Griffin + Suns training staff, but for a team in the Suns position the trade deadline is the bigger opportunity.

I know everyone is sick of waiting but the wrong signings now will just lead to more waiting. Or back to the treadmill. Waiting a little longer isn't the same as waiting for ever. If we're trying to build Warriors-style with a young core + a couple missing pieces, it could come together quickly when it does.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thought occurred to me the Suns have not signed their own free agents as yet (Williams and Len) because they are prepared to bring in player(s) under the cap from other teams. I'm not saying they are going to this but they are prepared for this option. The Suns can exceed the cap to sign their own free agents.

Anyway a morning thought before coffee.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave