Foyle Released

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love for the Suns to pick him up after he clears waivers. There is no way in hell we want to pay that contract.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love for the Suns to pick him up after he clears waivers. There is no way in hell we want to pay that contract.
What the heck, pick him up to just lean on Duncan and put his hand up when the ref calls the foul. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns can pick up Foyle they should do it. He is a player that just wasn't worth his contract. He used to be a rebounding monster that could take up a lot of room on the interior. IMO, a nice bench player that can hold his own inside. I liken him to Dampier in that he was an overpaid big man.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Count me among those that think that Foyle would be a good pickup.

He is a rebounder and an exceptional shot blocker.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he can't shoot the fifteen footer, thus there's no way in hell we even consider him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he can't shoot the fifteen footer, thus there's no way in hell we even consider him.

I know D'Antoni likes shooters on the team, but under this scenario even Shaq could have not made the Suns team in his earlier years.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I hope the Suns go after Foyle, but I assume they won't. After all, once you figure in the luxury tax, he'd cost almost $2 million. We can't have that.

Besides Brown and possibly Skinner, Foyle is by far the best big man on the market (once he clears waivers and gets to the market, that is).

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IMHO, Foyle seems less attractive than Skinner. He's got good shot blocking skills, but his 44% free throw shooting would be a disaster.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
IMHO, Foyle seems less attractive than Skinner. He's got good shot blocking skills, but his 44% free throw shooting would be a disaster.

How many free throws per game do you figure he'd shoot? Even if it were as many as two, which would be unlikely, we're talking about only half a point per game versus a 70% free-thrower. His defensive presence would easily be worth more than that.

Shaquille O'Neal is a terrible free-throw shooter too, and it doesn't seem to prevent his teams from winning. Heck, he's even in the starting lineup from time to time.

fordronken

Reaction score
How many free throws per game do you figure he'd shoot? Even if it were as many as two, which would be unlikely, we're talking about only half a point per game versus a 70% free-thrower. His defensive presence would easily be worth more than that.

Shaquille O'Neal is a terrible free-throw shooter too, and it doesn't seem to prevent his teams from winning. Heck, he's even in the starting lineup from time to time.

By that reasoning, Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen should be on winning teams. Sheesh, Eric. Way to take one example and use it to throw reasoning out the window.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Gee Eric, how many times have you slammed me for making wild comparisons? Shaq and Foyle in the same sentence puts my stuff to shame. :D

My comments were comparing Foyle to Skinner in the context that I was concerned that Skinner's free throw shooting is a major liability. Skinner shot 58.2% from the line last season which is a real minus at crunch time.

Still, if the Suns cannot get PJ, I view Skinner as the second best option available. Foyle is a very good shot blocker, but other than that appears to be very limited.

But for the same price, I'd happily take Shaq. Do you think he'll be available? :p

fordronken

Reaction score
Gee Eric, how many times have you slammed me for making wild comparisons? Shaq and Foyle in the same sentence puts my stuff to shame. :D

My comments were comparing Foyle to Skinner in the context that I was concerned that Skinner's free throw shooting is a major liability. Skinner shot 58.2% from the line last season which is a real minus at crunch time.

Still, if the Suns cannot get PJ, I view Skinner as the second best option available. Foyle is a very good shot blocker, but other than that appears to be very limited.

But for the same price, I'd happily take Shaq. Do you think he'll be available? :p

If Skinner is playing in crunch time, we're in bigger trouble than his poor free throw shooting would cause.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Skinner is playing in crunch time, we're in bigger trouble than his poor free throw shooting would cause.

He's a big, physical defender and solid rebounder, which is something the Suns need. Crunch time is often about as much about defense and rebounding as anything. But there is little doubt that having some like PJ who is a 78.7% free throw shooter is a huge plus.

fordronken

Reaction score
He's a big, physical defender and solid rebounder, which is something the Suns need. Crunch time is often about as much about defense and rebounding as anything. But there is little doubt that having some like PJ who is a 78.7% free throw shooter is a huge plus.

Obviously, PJ is a different story. But even if, say, Boris is hurt and Amare is fouled out, there is a much better chance of seeing a Nash/Barbosa/Bell/Hill/Marion lineup than a Nash/Barbosa/Bell/Marion/Foyle lineup. I just don't see how Foyle as a cruch time free throw shooter is really going to be relevant next season. If it comes down to that, we're in really big trouble anyway.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
A colgate education is one if the finest in the nation...We should pick up foyle...Im sure all people posting negatively about Foyle either attended 6 years at a community college or u of a, a colgate mind is a fine thing, and also comes with 6 fouls....It may not be Tin but it sure is FOYLE

-The RED RAIDERS

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else, but I thought he actually had a nice little 10-15 footer.

I agree with Eric regarding the free-throw shooting. Sure, it be nice if he was a great free-throw shooter or even a decent free-throw shooter, but at the minimum you can't expect everything.

Joe

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else, but I thought he actually had a nice little 10-15 footer.

I agree with Eric regarding the free-throw shooting. Sure, it be nice if he was a great free-throw shooter or even a decent free-throw shooter, but at the minimum you can't expect everything.

Joe

Joe, if you're right and he does have that little jumper, then this team should be ALL OVER him, even over PJ Brown. I'm with ya on the ft shooting thing as well.

that being said, I'll still be SHOCKED if we sign him or even consider him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
He is a total dirtworker and would immediately make our team tougher. Hopefully they make a move for him.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If healthy Foyle is a better player than Skinner although not because of his offensive games. I think that he couldn't even hit the ocean at the Warriors.

His terrible FT-shooting doesn't matter since he wouldn't get any offensive touches in Phoenix that's why the Suns will not go after him, IMO.

He is a very good shotblocker, a good hustle defender and reportedly one of the most intelligent NBA players, the last one doesn't say too much...

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
If the Suns can pick up Foyle they should do it. He is a player that just wasn't worth his contract. He used to be a rebounding monster that could take up a lot of room on the interior. IMO, a nice bench player that can hold his own inside. I liken him to Dampier in that he was an overpaid big man.
As a W's fan I can tell you this is not true. Foyle has avg. of 5 rebs. per game in his career. He was overpaid at anything over 1 million per season. Dampier is much better than Foyle and that is not saying much. W's bought out Foyle's contract to the tune of 13 million, so PHX would only have to pay him bare minimum.

To be realisitic about Foyle, the only reason to pick him up would be to play him about 8 to 10 mins/game to get some shot blocking ability. Other than that, he is worthless on the court, has stone hands and little heart/effort. For the community, he is great; on the court, not so much...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like PJ Brown AND Foyle. A little depth wouldn't hurt.