Foundation (AppleTV+)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm surprised there's no thread on it yet. First two episodes dropped last week. So far I'm mixed on it. The show is visually gorgeous. Apple spent money on this show and you can tell. The writing has been a bit sloppy though. Hopefully that improves.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I watched the first episode last night. I agree, great spectacle. I loved the books when I was younger but I remember only the broad strokes. It’ll be fun to watch, and maybe I’ll re-read after.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watched the first episode, the show looks very nice.
Never read the books so for me the story is all new.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m making the mistake of watching this late at night and I keep falling asleep. It’s been nice to look at, but I think the story may be too thick to effectively cover in a manner that’s detailed enough (I read the books far too long ago to recall plot).

OP
OP
Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I’m making the mistake of watching this late at night and I keep falling asleep. It’s been nice to look at, but I think the story may be too thick to effectively cover in a manner that’s detailed enough (I read the books far too long ago to recall plot).

After the 3rd episode I think I agree with you on it being too thick to cover. It's great for us nerds that are into hard science fiction but I think it's going to be too dense for the average viewer and they'll lose interest. There is a lot to digest in every episode. Like watching E3 last night I thought the opening act around Empire was the entire episode. I was shocked when I saw that I was only 20 minutes in. It felt like an hour with what was crammed into it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
After the 3rd episode I think I agree with you on it being too thick to cover. It's great for us nerds that are into hard science fiction but I think it's going to be too dense for the average viewer and they'll lose interest. There is a lot to digest in every episode. Like watching E3 last night I thought the opening act around Empire was the entire episode. I was shocked when I saw that I was only 20 minutes in. It felt like an hour with what was crammed into it.
And they really cause you to do some hardcore mental gymnastics with jumping around on the timeline and figuring out which cleovis you’re listening to.

OP
OP
Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
And they really cause you to do some hardcore mental gymnastics with jumping around on the timeline and figuring out which cleovis you’re listening to.

Yeah, I hated that too. Shows really need to make the timelines clearer. The Witcher S1 suffered from that too and they said they were going to try to be clearer moving forward because of the obstacle to viewers that it created.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have to say I still don't know how I feel about this show. There have been a few GREAT episodes. Then several ones that were MEH. I have a problem with the pacing of the show and it jumps around too much IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for some reason my Apple TV won't play this or the last four episodes of Ted Lasso for me.

OP
OP
Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
for some reason my Apple TV won't play this or the last four episodes of Ted Lasso for me.

Try to reboot your ATV, Settings App -> System -> Restart (careful since Apple when with bad UI and put the reset button next to the restart one). I had a similar issue with Mythic Quest near the start of the season and that did the trick for me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another show that finished so strong. Foundation is so Epic and the last 3 episodes finally have me sold. Hopefully, the jumping around too much changes next season. Sucks it took this long but I can't wait for Season 2 now.

Did anybody else get the same vibe as the final scene in Star Wars The Force Awakens when Rey hands the Light Saber to Luke? How funny would it be in the first scene in Season 2 she throws the sphere in the water. :lol:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Another show that finished so strong. Foundation is so Epic and the last 3 episodes finally have me sold. Hopefully, the jumping around too much changes next season. Sucks it took this long but I can't wait for Season 2 now.

Did anybody else get the same vibe as the final scene in Star Wars The Force Awakens when Rey hands the Light Saber to Luke? How funny would it be in the first scene in Season 2 she throws the sphere in the water. :lol:
I haven't watched the final episode yet, so not reading the spoiler. :)

I agree though that the show has been finishing strong after a very slow start. I hope it didn't lose too many viewers due to it. I'm in the show's core target audience of being a hard sci-fi fan and I almost gave up on it after the first 3 episodes. Glad I stuck with it though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I finished episode 4 last night - not sure what I think about it yet. The time movement is a bit strange and it feels like any empathy and like I had for Gaal was useless. A lot of questions about her, Raych, Terminus, etc.

I like the concept of Empire, but casting Ronan the Accuser hasn't impressed me much. Brother Dusk has been good though.

OP
OP
Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I finished episode 4 last night - not sure what I think about it yet. The time movement is a bit strange and it feels like any empathy and like I had for Gaal was useless. A lot of questions about her, Raych, Terminus, etc.

I like the concept of Empire, but casting Ronan the Accuser hasn't impressed me much. Brother Dusk has been good though.
Stick with it. You're about at the point where the show starting turning for me and I got into it. Brother Day gets better too.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was exactly the same way right around that episode.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This finished STRONG. I was wanting to love this so much but just couldn’t and then last few episodes it fully captured me.

OP
OP
Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The last episode was great, can't wait for S2 now. Not something I would have said after the first 3 or 4 episodes. On the finale:
Dang, that punishment that Day gave out was brutal. Sensory deprivation for the rest of her life is hardcore. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'd immediately try to figure out a way to kill myself before it could be enacted.

I wish they had tightened up the Salvor romance scene a bit. To me it dragged a bit with not much emotional pay off due to lack of build up in previous episodes. I just happened to watch the final episode of Angel after it and it had a similar scene with Fred and Wesley that hit a lot harder thanks to the way their arcs built up to it over the season.

@Covert Rain I didn't get that sense when I watched it but I can see the connection you made. She better not throw it in the water. I want S2 to be good and not TLJ level of quality. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose