Fossil Creek

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fossil Creek is a natural spring that pumps out 20,000 gallons an hour of natural, crystal clear spring water at a crisp 70 degrees year round. Damage to the road coming down from strawberry has made access very limited as if you come down from strawberry, it is now a long, long hike (4 miles in, 4 miles back) instead of being able to drive down to close parts of the creek. You can come down from strawberry and do that hike or the alternative is to take I-17 to (I believe) bloody basin road. You take bloody basin (dirt road) for something like 14 miles east around childs dam and you are there. You can stop near the bridge and play in shallow water or park at a parking lot and hike one mile to the waterfall. The waterfalls are a good 20/30 feet or so? They offer cliff jumping and more.

This is truly my 2nd favorite swimming hole in arizona behind supai in the grand canyon. The water is just as clean as Supai as they are both fresh water springs. Last I was there it was getting too packed for my taste, hopefully the permit system has changed that. Recently, it was getting too many visitors and has now become a permit location. Camping by the water is not allowed and to park, you need a permit in advance. The water is so clean, you can see 6-10 feet deep in it.

Some photos, not mine:
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

More info and permit info found here: https://www.recreation.gov/wildernessAreaDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=74997

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been there but not since I was a kid. I can't even remember if we were camping....is there camping there?
You cannot camp by the water but there are designated sites nearby and you can go a little further to the verde river to be in dispersed camping areas.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
The road coming from camp verde is long and treacherous, but at least there's some hot springs on the way there. Haven't been to Fossil since they started charging to park, but didn't realize the road from Strawberry had gotten that bad. The water is always great, and there are a couple of "hidden" waterfalls you can hike to that aren't always swamped with people.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The road coming from camp verde is long and treacherous, but at least there's some hot springs on the way there. Haven't been to Fossil since they started charging to park, but didn't realize the road from Strawberry had gotten that bad. The water is always great, and there are a couple of "hidden" waterfalls you can hike to that aren't always swamped with people.

From what I know, the road down from strawberry caved so...there is no more road at all.

Many people have described that road as treacherous, when I drove it i expected treacherous and....it was just a dirt road. I 4x4 for a hobby though, it was no different than 90% of the dirt roads I drive on. Just know it is a long, slow road, bring friends and enjoy the ride!