Former Referee Tim Donaghy Admits 06 Spurs Series Rigged

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by jbeecham, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I will say this, I don't think Tim Duncan would have been suspended like Amare and Diaw were suspended under similar circumstances in the Suns versus Spurs playoff series.

What kind of tradeoff was that... Horry for Amare and Diaw when the game was essentially over.

boisesuns likes this.
  2. 95pro

95pro Registered

Duncan did step on the court for an “altercation” that series too. I forgot the details but it happened on the sours side of the court.

3. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I think you are correct. But wait, it's the letter of the rule that counts... but only for certain teams.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  4. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

As I recall, it was decided that there was no altercation and that Duncan went on the court to assist his "downed" teammate.

5. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

He walked onto a court after a hard foul but wasn't suspended because a fight didn't happen. Our mistake was not having Pat Burke start throwing punches, then, under the NBA's logic, any Spurs player who had left the bench would have been suspended.

6. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

It doesn't matter how bad an owner Sarver is, this is criminal behavior if true on the NBA's part.

7. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

There is a lot of space between recruiting a buffoon and "grilling every person who knew Sarver".

Recruiting is recruiting. You satisfy investigating and anticipating to a reasonable degree.

And if the recruited party acts like a buffoon from the start, it falls on the recruiter.

I doubt that Sarver did a complete 180 in personality the day he took over.

My goodness. If people aren't held accountable, how can you expect success?

Whoever influenced Sarver to stop trying to be the face of the organization
    this season should have done it 7 or 8 years ago.

The General Manager, Head Coach and ballplayers are the face of the team,
    as they should be.

8. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

+1

9. Raze

Raze Suns fan since '89

I'm pretty sure there's nothing new here. This is the same information, with slightly different wording, that he wrote in the book. Nunez hated Sarver. Nunez swayed officials in meetings to punish the Suns. Spurs, once again, were afforded an advantage.

I still can't believe anyone would walk away from that Game 3 and think it was a fair game. You would have to cast a pretty massive blind eye to miss it. It was a top 3 worst lopsided officiated game in NBA playoff history (right there with Kings/Lakers and Mavs/Heat). Again, Bill Simmons roasted these guys the day after. Then wrote a follow up article after the scandal broke:

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070722&lpos=s

As I've posted before, Donaghy's response to Mike on the sidelines in the fourth quarter sealed the deal for me.

Mike: "Why are you calling them (fouls) now?"
    Tim: "Because I can."

The game was fixed. Period.

10. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

There is a big difference. You look at business success, assets and if he can successfully run his businesses. He isn't drafting a player or looking to hire a coach. In that type of scenario if you are trying to sell your motivations are completely different. I wouldn't expect him to do anything like being suggested with a sale of a team.

Also, unless there is something out in public view for all to see I wouldn't expect there is any kind of expectation beyond that. Not to mention the NBA does a huge background check for asset liability and things like that as well to approve the sale.

11. Yuma

Yuma Passed my 90 days! Thanks BigRedRage!

That was technically what our guys did too. Since Nash was "downed" by that hit by Horry.

12. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

The difference being that our situation was considered an active altercation and their's was not.

13. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Horry took a shot at Raja after the hip check. I believe that’s what he was suspended for and they made it two games to try to overcompensate.

As ****** as the entire situation was the bottom line is Amare and Boris should’ve been smarter even though they were just defending their best player getting cheapshotted.

14. boisesuns

boisesuns Standing Tall And Traded

Ahh the days when we were good enough to have to have more than just the flopping spurs trying to stop us.

seems like forever ago. Still hurts a bit, but all the years of straight terrible basketball have numbed the pain a bit

Mainstreet likes this.
  15. devilalum

devilalum Heavily Redacted

Every time this floating turd is given an audience god kills a puppy.

He just needs to shut up and go away.

I still have PTSD from that series.

Even reading the title to this thread made me wanna put my foot through a television.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boisesuns and Chaplin like this.