Former Referee Tim Donaghy Admits 06 Spurs Series Rigged

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
https://arizonasports.com/story/212...sarver-was-factor-in-rigging-of-spurs-series/

Not much of a surprise to those of us that were die-hards back then.

One of those games was Game 3 of the Western Conference semifinals between the Phoenix Suns and San Antonio Spurs. While the free throw discrepancy wasn’t extremely off-balance, the situational factors of calls going against the Suns and in favor of the Spurs in the fourth quarter stood out. The Spurs pulled away in a quarter they attempted 13 free throws in. The refereeing of that game was widely criticized at the time, beyond the usual fanfare. Turned out, there was something behind it besides human error.

Donaghy revealed on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station’s Bickley & Marotta that it was a specific game the referees decided to choose because of one referee’s particular disdain for Suns owner Robert Sarver. That overseeing referee pointed out specific tendencies on film for the crew to essentially rig in favor of the Spurs.

“Tommy Nunez, who was the group supervisor at that time for that series, didn’t like Sarver, who was the owner of the Suns at that time, and was always pointing out in the tape sessions of things to call against Phoenix and things not to concentrate on against San Antonio,” Donaghy said. “And I think it put San Antonio at an advantage.”

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow. Not a surprise at all but amazing he admitted it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is the guy who went to the clink for rigging games for the mob. He already wrote a book about it all. I find it odd this wasn't mentioned in his book, I know he talked about that series and we know he officiated a couple terrible games in it but I don't remember this detail... it makes it seem kind of axe grinding. Not that it may not be true, I just don't get why he would wait so long to bring out this damaging detail when he has already put so much stuff out there.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
https://arizonasports.com/story/212...sarver-was-factor-in-rigging-of-spurs-series/

Not much of a surprise to those of us that were die-hards back then.

So, if this is true, the reason the refs rigged the series against the Suns was
because of their dislike for Robert Sarver.

Sarver, with his foam finger and heavy handed behavior, who thought he was
the second coming of J.C. Jerry Colangelo, that is.

Sarver, who acted as if buying the Suns made him an instant celebrity. And
made enemies among the refs, probably from his remarks from the stands.

Who was the Suns own worst enemy? The owner, Robert Sarver.

Perhaps a book about Sarver's tenure should be entitled "The Lost Decade".
The most embarrassing decade in the Suns history.

At least someone convinced him to slink his way into the background and
let basketball people run the team this season. I'd like to think it was Jerry
who, evidently, did not do a thorough job of screening his successor.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think he so much as admitted anything - he did what he always does, he blames the NBA in one way or another.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the guy who went to the clink for rigging games for the mob. He already wrote a book about it all. I find it odd this wasn't mentioned in his book, I know he talked about that series and we know he officiated a couple terrible games in it but I don't remember this detail... it makes it seem kind of axe grinding. Not that it may not be true, I just don't get why he would wait so long to bring out this damaging detail when he has already put so much stuff out there.

I think it's axe grinding too but didn't he already explain away the Spurs series by suggesting it was due to the Spurs Super-friend AKA David Stern? Or did that assertion come from a different source?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Look there is no justification for what happened. None. If that particular game was rigged (it appears it was) there is simply no excuse. Having said that, I agree that Server is his own worst enemy. The owners hate him. Players across the league hate him. No top tier coaches want to coach here. The FO is more revolving than a prostitute in Amsterdam.

In terms of Jerry what was he supposed to do? His job was to find a viable owner. It's not like he could have grilled every person who knew Sarver. He was an unknown in the sports world.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there was game fixing it's on those who did it. Supposedly we are dealing with professionals here who are paid to do a job. Like or dislike of the owner should not have played a role.

I guess it can be whitewashed by saying people are not perfect, but game fixing is game fixing. There is no room for intentional bias. Because someone does not like an owner is not reason to change the outcome of a game. This is not the time or place to shift the blame to an owner.

On a side note, I think the game fixing allegations should have been further investigated. I think it was much bigger than one referee.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there was game fixing it's on those who did it. Supposedly we are dealing with professionals here who are paid to do a job. Like or dislike of the owner should not have played a role.

I guess it can be whitewashed by saying people are not perfect, but game fixing is game fixing. There is no room for intentional bias. Because someone does not like an owner is not reason to change the outcome of a game. This is not the time or place to shift the blame to an owner.

On a side note, I think the game fixing allegations should have been further investigated. I think it was much bigger than one referee.

Agreed. And I think they shut down any investigation for the obvious PR reasons. The NBA was taking a lot of heat for that ref and big money was at risk. In the end though, I don't believe a word Donaghy says. I'm sure there's some truth in some of the things he says but separating the truth from fiction is almost impossible given that he has a known agenda and advances it every chance he gets.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I one hundred percent guarantee this goes on all the time in the present, just as it has been going on for decades in the past. Referees/umpires/judges deliberately affect/change the outcome of sporting events all the damn time - sometimes for reasons of personal grudges (probably most often) and occasionally for far more malign agendas. The various governing bodies look the other way and even cover it up, because if it were ever formally acknowledged, their very existence would be compromised.

Fans can bury their heads in the sand about it, as people tend to do when the institutions they believe in prove to be false, but that is the reality of it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I one hundred percent guarantee this goes on all the time in the present, just as it has been going on for decades in the past. Referees/umpires/judges deliberately affect/change the outcome of sporting events all the damn time - sometimes for reasons of personal grudges (probably most often) and occasionally for far more malign agendas. The various governing bodies look the other way and even cover it up, because if it were ever formally acknowledged, their very existence would be compromised.

Fans can bury their heads in the sand about it, as people tend to do when the institutions they believe in prove to be false, but that is the reality of it.

I have no confidence in the integrity of the league but I find it difficult to accept the idea that the NBA actively participates in or directs any efforts towards game fixing (as Donaghy often suggests). Not because they are squeaky clean but because they know the consequences and like you said, "their very existence would be compromised". As for the coverups, I agree. It's standard practice for the NBA (and others).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no confidence in the integrity of the league but I find it difficult to accept the idea that the NBA actively participates in or directs any efforts towards game fixing (as Donaghy often suggests). Not because they are squeaky clean but because they know the consequences and like you said, "their very existence would be compromised". As for the coverups, I agree. It's standard practice for the NBA (and others).

Agree with this. Look it's not the first time or the last time. However, with everything being on TV now and social media etc.? I seriously doubt that it's actively happening all the time. It's not like the old days. If there is footage people are analyzing it to death. If it's the same official? It will come out. I am sure there will be some knucklehead who will do it again.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
No, I am not saying that the league itself is involved in fixing games, or deliberately allows referees to do so. Only that the league sweeps it under the rug or remains willfully ignorant whenever the possibility arises. Obviously, the possibility that referees might ever be fixing games for profit (rather than merely exercising personal vendettas) is far more serious, and would require a more intentional bit of corruption on the part of any sporting institution in concealing it. But there is no doubt in my mind that has happened on occasion, too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say this, I don't think Tim Duncan would have been suspended like Amare and Diaw were suspended under similar circumstances in the Suns versus Spurs playoff series.

What kind of tradeoff was that... Horry for Amare and Diaw when the game was essentially over.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Duncan did step on the court for an “altercation” that series too. I forgot the details but it happened on the sours side of the court.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duncan did step on the court for an “altercation” that series too. I forgot the details but it happened on the sours side of the court.

I think you are correct. But wait, it's the letter of the rule that counts... but only for certain teams.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As I recall, it was decided that there was no altercation and that Duncan went on the court to assist his "downed" teammate.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I recall, it was decided that there was no altercation and that Duncan went on the court to assist his "downed" teammate.

He walked onto a court after a hard foul but wasn't suspended because a fight didn't happen. Our mistake was not having Pat Burke start throwing punches, then, under the NBA's logic, any Spurs player who had left the bench would have been suspended.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It doesn't matter how bad an owner Sarver is, this is criminal behavior if true on the NBA's part.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In terms of Jerry what was he supposed to do? His job was to find a viable owner. It's not like he could have grilled every person who knew Sarver. He was an unknown in the sports world.
There is a lot of space between recruiting a buffoon and "grilling every person who knew Sarver".

Recruiting is recruiting. You satisfy investigating and anticipating to a reasonable degree.

And if the recruited party acts like a buffoon from the start, it falls on the recruiter.

I doubt that Sarver did a complete 180 in personality the day he took over.

My goodness. If people aren't held accountable, how can you expect success?

Whoever influenced Sarver to stop trying to be the face of the organization
this season should have done it 7 or 8 years ago.

The General Manager, Head Coach and ballplayers are the face of the team,
as they should be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. And I think they shut down any investigation for the obvious PR reasons. The NBA was taking a lot of heat for that ref and big money was at risk. In the end though, I don't believe a word Donaghy says. I'm sure there's some truth in some of the things he says but separating the truth from fiction is almost impossible given that he has a known agenda and advances it every chance he gets.

+1

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's nothing new here. This is the same information, with slightly different wording, that he wrote in the book. Nunez hated Sarver. Nunez swayed officials in meetings to punish the Suns. Spurs, once again, were afforded an advantage.

I still can't believe anyone would walk away from that Game 3 and think it was a fair game. You would have to cast a pretty massive blind eye to miss it. It was a top 3 worst lopsided officiated game in NBA playoff history (right there with Kings/Lakers and Mavs/Heat). Again, Bill Simmons roasted these guys the day after. Then wrote a follow up article after the scandal broke:

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070722&lpos=s

As I've posted before, Donaghy's response to Mike on the sidelines in the fourth quarter sealed the deal for me.

Mike: "Why are you calling them (fouls) now?"
Tim: "Because I can."

The game was fixed. Period.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of space between recruiting a buffoon and "grilling every person who knew Sarver".

Recruiting is recruiting. You satisfy investigating and anticipating to a reasonable degree.

And if the recruited party acts like a buffoon from the start, it falls on the recruiter.

I doubt that Sarver did a complete 180 in personality the day he took over.

My goodness. If people aren't held accountable, how can you expect success?

Whoever influenced Sarver to stop trying to be the face of the organization
this season should have done it 7 or 8 years ago.

The General Manager, Head Coach and ballplayers are the face of the team,
as they should be.

There is a big difference. You look at business success, assets and if he can successfully run his businesses. He isn't drafting a player or looking to hire a coach. In that type of scenario if you are trying to sell your motivations are completely different. I wouldn't expect him to do anything like being suggested with a sale of a team.

Also, unless there is something out in public view for all to see I wouldn't expect there is any kind of expectation beyond that. Not to mention the NBA does a huge background check for asset liability and things like that as well to approve the sale.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose