Former Packers VP blasts NFL salary-cap myths

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
But, but, if we had signed a few long-term free agents before the draft, our team's cap would've been ruined for years to come :sarcasm:

I mean, that's what the Cards apologist (so-called) experts would've had you believe. Like, the gaslighting was as sad as it was real.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
But, but, if we had signed a few long-term free agents before the draft, our team's cap would've been ruined for years to come :sarcasm:

I mean, that's what the Cards apologist (so-called) experts would've had you believe. Like, the gaslighting was as sad as it was real.
Jesus christ stout your like a drowning man.
How many super bowls did this guy win while he had the best quarterback in the game?
Salary cap is ******** so he could sign everybody he wanted right?
My memory is sketchy...what this guy get? Ten? Twelve lombardis?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Salary cap restrictions are a thing for cash strapped teams. Owners that are willing to spend, not so much.

Stout

Reaction score
Jesus christ stout your like a drowning man.
How many super bowls did this guy win while he had the best quarterback in the game?
Salary cap is ******** so he could sign everybody he wanted right?
My memory is sketchy...what this guy get? Ten? Twelve lombardis?
Where to start? You're :BIM: Next, JC right back at ya. How is anything you said after "drowning man" relevant to our punting on FA this year? Why is pointing out that people want to give cheapskate Dollar Bill's son a pass for being cheap being like a drowning man? I guess the shoe fits you, eh?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or for teams that don't want to spend their cash. Even saying cash-strapped is a cop out for MB, IMO.
It isn't an excuse for MB. I was saying he should have taken out a loan to pay for KM's contract so he could have saved 40-50M.

My point is that the only way to spend more than the cap is to give players bonuses up front. Teams that are unable or unwilling to do that will not be on a level playing field.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Since the NFL killed cash-over-cap, the cap has been much more effective. There’s still some fudging, but no major violations. BTW did anyone notice the Cards reworked Conner’s contract so that it slightly impacts the 2024 cap more. What’s up with that?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Where to start? You're :BIM: Next, JC right back at ya. How is anything you said after "drowning man" relevant to our punting on FA this year? Why is pointing out that people want to give cheapskate Dollar Bill's son a pass for being cheap being like a drowning man? I guess the shoe fits you, eh?
I see. The answers do not fit your narrative of negativity so you try to turn the focus.....
So. How many Lombardi trophies did this guy help win while masterfully making the salary cap irrelevant? It has to be multiples i am sure. How many?

Stout

Reaction score
I see. The answers do not fit your narrative of negativity so you try to turn the focus.....
So. How many Lombardi trophies did this guy help win while masterfully making the salary cap irrelevant? It has to be multiples i am sure. How many?
LOL You want to change the narrative then aren't happy that I don't agree to change the narrative. The cap is irrelevant as far as who you can sign. What does that have to do with Lombardi trophies is beyond me. Your argument is "you can't sign who you want because this guy's teams didn't win more titles." Do what now?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW did anyone notice the Cards reworked Conner’s contract so that it slightly impacts the 2024 cap more. What’s up with that?

I didn't notice that:

Conner had his $2 million 2023 roster bonus converted into a signing bonus, clearing $1 million in 2023 cap space.

Looks like they are getting ready for the 2023 FA period. Oh wait...

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Did you want them to just sign anybody? I mean you keep preaching this but in reality who did you want? Who was this great player/players we missed out on that is irreplaceable next year? You say you didn't research it because it was a lost cause. Well I don't know how you just start signing players until you have had time to access the current roster. It's like I have read this same thing on 5 different threads.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LOL You want to change the narrative then aren't happy that I don't agree to change the narrative. The cap is irrelevant as far as who you can sign. What does that have to do with Lombardi trophies is beyond me. Your argument is "you can't sign who you want because this guy's teams didn't win more titles." Do what now?

Pick up the phone. RAMS are on the line with a job offer. ;)

Stout

Reaction score
Did you want them to just sign anybody? I mean you keep preaching this but in reality who did you want? Who was this great player/players we missed out on that is irreplaceable next year? You say you didn't research it because it was a lost cause. Well I don't know how you just start signing players until you have had time to access the current roster. It's like I have read this same thing on 5 different threads.
And you'll keep reading it because the team punted on FA, signed nothing but 1-year deals and effective 1-year deals, and we literally took an offseason to "assess," which is unforgivably slow in the modern NFL.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow, epic fail, as the Rams won a SB. But I guess that's a better contribution than just posting a violin emoji.

We all know that the RAMS won a Super Bowl and are now paying the price.

What's your point?

It was all worth it, and you finally realize that the Cap is not the fiction you bang on about ad nauseam.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Wow, epic fail, as the Rams won a SB. But I guess that's a better contribution than just posting a violin emoji.
Actually, both of you guys are right but the Rams still rolled the dice because even if you have the talent things have to bounce in your direction and this is no basketball or baseball postseason were a lesser team has to upset more than once. The Rams won, but there are many teams which have gone all out and get close but no cigar. The Rams are paying now and they will probably be crappiliscous for a while, but they did get that Super Bowl victory, though their fans now will have to offer smack past talk while they endure the crap to come. It goes both ways, and both you And Quebec are right... scary huh lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose