Former NBA player Mike Bibby not allowed to coach after sexual assault allegations

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Former NBA player Mike Bibby not allowed to coach after sexual assault allegations

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report...ach-sexual-assault-allegations-192508774.html

Former NBA player Mike Bibby is done as coach of a high school in Arizona the day after sexual assault allegations against him became public, per a report by the Arizona Republic.

Bibby served as the head boys basketball coach at Shadow Mountain High School near Phoenix, Arizona. The Paradise Valley Unified School District confirmed Monday that it was undergoing an internal investigation and police are also investigating claims against the 40-year-old coach.

A teacher claimed that Bibby grabbed her by the waist, pulled her into his car and assaulted her in February 2017.

“He is no longer eligible to volunteer as our coach pending the outcome of the investigations,” wrote Becky Kelbaugh, a spokeswoman with the school district, in an emailed statement to the Arizona Republic.

The Arizona Republic obtained a restraining order, granted Feb. 22, that details the claims and reported Monday that the district has known about it for more than a week. The teacher reported it Feb. 13, per the report.

She alleges that Bibby groped her in his car as two fellow staff members looked on, per the Republic, and that later he passed by her classroom multiple times.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
'Sad news. I live down the block from Shadow Mountain High. Both of my sons graduated from "Shadow".

I appreciate the championships he's brought to the school and neighborhood. But now this!

I rooted for his dad Henry Bibby and, four decades ago when I lived back East, for his uncle Jim Bibby.

He has brought shame to the Valley and our neighborhood.

Of course, Curt Schilling, with his antics, also graduated from "Shadow" and has made a fool of himself.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
'Sad news. I live down the block from Shadow Mountain High. Both of my sons graduated from "Shadow".

I appreciate the championships he's brought to the school and neighborhood. But now this!

I rooted for his dad Henry Bibby and, four decades ago when I lived back East, for his uncle Jim Bibby.

He has brought shame to the Valley and our neighborhood.

Of course, Curt Schilling, with his antics, also graduated from "Shadow" and has made a fool of himself.

Didn't Mike and his dad have essentially no relationship? I remember when Mike was in college he often played against his dad... in conference. That had to be awkward.

Talk about ammo vs a coach in recruiting; "Henry Bibby? His own kid wouldn't play for him."

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently he used to drink while at the school or at least he said he was drunk during a few of the alleged altercations with the teacher he harassed or assaulted. Those altercations took place at the school so that seems to be an issue on it's own.

I saw elsewhere how people were questioning whether he was a paid employee of the school or school district because apparently the district revoked his volunteer status but I don't see why that's really an issue. He's not allowed at the school and that's a good thing if the accusations against him are true. It wouldn't surprise me to learn he was the coach on a volunteer basis because he made millions throughout his career, he didn't need 20-30k a year to be a high school basketball coach. I don't even think he would get that much if he were paid since he wasn't a teacher at the school, just a coach.

This sounds awfully scummy and there is no excuse for it. It seems like he's going through a midlife crisis of sorts though. I remember when that picture of him was circulating a year or so back of him appearing ridiculously jacked. He was much larger than he had ever been during his basketball career and being back at his old high school as a coach and winning state titles seems like he was trying to relive his glory days, in a way.

Here's the picture of him from last year, for anyone interested. Someone already spliced it together with a pic from his playing days so you can see the difference but it's pretty obvious to tell that he's bigger than he was if you can recall seeing him before.

You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report...ach-sexual-assault-allegations-192508774.html

Former NBA player Mike Bibby is done as coach of a high school in Arizona the day after sexual assault allegations against him became public, per a report by the Arizona Republic.

Bibby served as the head boys basketball coach at Shadow Mountain High School near Phoenix, Arizona. The Paradise Valley Unified School District confirmed Monday that it was undergoing an internal investigation and police are also investigating claims against the 40-year-old coach.

A teacher claimed that Bibby grabbed her by the waist, pulled her into his car and assaulted her in February 2017.

“He is no longer eligible to volunteer as our coach pending the outcome of the investigations,” wrote Becky Kelbaugh, a spokeswoman with the school district, in an emailed statement to the Arizona Republic.

The Arizona Republic obtained a restraining order, granted Feb. 22, that details the claims and reported Monday that the district has known about it for more than a week. The teacher reported it Feb. 13, per the report.

She alleges that Bibby groped her in his car as two fellow staff members looked on, per the Republic, and that later he passed by her classroom multiple times.
These stories just sometimes seem unbelievable. Why in the world would a 40 year old man do this to another employee and in the plain sight of witnesses? I just don't get it.

Edit. Oh. Sorry. Alcohol. I don't drink, so I sometimes forget.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Mike and his dad have essentially no relationship? I remember when Mike was in college he often played against his dad... in conference. That had to be awkward.

Talk about ammo vs a coach in recruiting; "Henry Bibby? His own kid wouldn't play for him."

My memory is spotty on this but I think Mike had already committed to Arizona before Henry took the USC job. I seem to recall some rumors about Henry trying to get him to de-commit or transfer but obviously that went nowhere.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My memory is spotty on this but I think Mike had already committed to Arizona before Henry took the USC job. I seem to recall some rumors about Henry trying to get him to de-commit or transfer but obviously that went nowhere.
If I remember, Henry Bibby was a non-custodial parent with very little relationship with Mike. The fact that he was his dad was no advantage.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't know if they ever reconciled or not, but according to this story Mike - as a freshman in college - used to avoid his dad's calls and threw away (unopened) letters he had written to him.

Also - it says that he had long committed to Arizona when his dad offered a scholarship. When the two teams played each other there was no contact between father and son.

Perceived Sins Of The Father Keeping The Bibbys Apart

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1997-03-27-9703270209-story.html

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if they ever reconciled or not, but according to this story Mike - as a freshman in college - used to avoid his dad's calls and threw away (unopened) letters he had written to him.

Also - it says that he had long committed to Arizona when his dad offered a scholarship. When the two teams played each other there was no contact between father and son.

Perceived Sins Of The Father Keeping The Bibbys Apart

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1997-03-27-9703270209-story.html

Yeah, that's how I recalled it. It seemed to me that Mike gave a verbal during his sophomore year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson