For the drummers

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I wish I was that good. Hate the set up though, seems odd, look at the angle of that snare drum.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I was that good. Hate the set up though, seems odd, look at the angle of that snare drum.

I love the small set up, and I don't think his snare angle is all that unconventional. There are drummers like Keith Carlock who tilt all the drums at odd angles that make me wonder what they're thinking. Pretty sure traditional grip has something to do with that. I think I'm the only trad grip player in the world who plays his snare completely flat. I don't have any difficulty grabbing rim on the backbeat.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a great band that was!

Yes it was. Too bad money was an issue halfway through the first tour, insuring Sting would always use sidemen rather than have a recurring band. Not that I mind. I love all the different musicians that have played with him, especially Vinnie. I do miss Branford's stuff meshing with Sting's voice.

Each member of the band was getting something like $10K a week. They wanted money on par with Sting because they were told it's a band. Miles Copeland (yes, Stewart's older brother and Sting's manager) bumped them down to half that. They finished the tour, but Omar and Darryl Jones fled the scene. Branford and Kenny Kirkland stuck around because neither of those guys had ever seen money like that playing jazz. Omar and Darryl were already established NY sessions musicians. Last time I saw Omar, he was doing his third tour of duty with Madonna, probably making as much there with half the responsibility (although playing along with those tracks every night has to be a nightmare).

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Around 1988 or 89 there was a show musical on NBC called Sunday night or something like that.
The house band was Omar Hakim, Marcus Miller, David Sanborn, and others I can't remember.
Omar always looked like he was having so much fun when he was playing. Living the life.

Cool show, very eclectic guests.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around 1988 or 89 there was a show musical on NBC called Sunday night or something like that.
The house band was Omar Hakim, Marcus Miller, David Sanborn, and others I can't remember.
Omar always looked like he was having so much fun when he was playing. Living the life.

Cool show, very eclectic guests.

It was Night Music with David Sanborn. Awesome show. Never missed an episode.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave