Football Outsiders: Pre-Free Agency Cards Needs

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We will not win unless K1 is protected at an elite level. Not top 10….. Elite.

With that being said……We only have one elite offensive lineman.
We have three big issues on our offensive line.

1 - We have, arguably, only one lineman outperforming his contract despite having three players being paid over 9 mil per year. That player is Beachum. Hudson probably meets his contract. Humphries either meets or slightly underperforms based upon the cap hit that year. Pugh underachieves based upon his salary. So we are paying a "premium" and getting average at best production as a unit.

2 - Based upon age, we have too little quality depth. Pugh, Last year we had three players over 30 which is fine but our depth was not quality enough to compensate when they inevitably missed time. I have started believe Jeremiahs philosophy that an o-line is only as good as it's worst player. Too many times we were starting multiple "tomato cans" and the production reflected that.

3 - We have a young QB who struggles with holding onto the ball too long, moving in the pocket, and requires a deeper drop to see the field. This magnifies our lines deficiencies.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Except you can't depend on his availability on Draft day.

So the decision at this point going into FA is whether one targets a FA guard?
Oh yes, I know that, everything done in the draft depends on which positions are targeted in FA. Honestly, I really don't expect Green to be on the board at #23. Even if he was & the Cardinals hadn't signed one player in FA.............Keim would be ignorant & not take him.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I say this because I think the draft class lends some value to mid round OL. I think it does the same for TEs.

I could see Keim painting himself in a corner with a RB in round 2. He just has not demonstrated a ton of ability to build a roster with a long term view. I am sure some of that comes from Arians and his preference but we will see.

I’d guess they are planning for at least one of the RBs back, but I wouldn’t hate James Cook in round 2 even though we have other needs that are bigger.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I would trade for Kareem Hunt or maybe take a flyer on Rashaad Penny.

I still like Conner but don't want to overpay.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
TE - I still want to see us sign Ertz but if the cost is too high, OJ Howard would be an interesting option.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
TE - I still want to see us sign Ertz but if the cost is too high, OJ Howard would be an interesting option.
OJ Howard. Evan Engram. Both are actually young players who would be a buy low option at this point. Like Gesicki, Engram could be played as a pseudo-WR and would bring size/speed to our 12 personnel packages. Howard is an enigma but the skills are there and think the cost should be low.

I like Ertz but he is 32 and is limited. He is still good, but I think most of the arguments made about Chandler Jones can be made about Ertz. If I did re-sign Ertz, I would still look at Engram and Howard. Finding players who can out-perform their contracts is key. Paying big money to 32 year olds is not.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
3 - We have a young QB who struggles with holding onto the ball too long, moving in the pocket, and requires a deeper drop to see the field. This magnifies our lines deficiencies.
yep

K1 is like Russel Wilson: doesn't regularly throw with timing or anticipation. Likes to either see guys open, or, throwing down the field when coverage says that should be open. But like Wilson -- the holding the ball leads to bigger plays. Russ is better at stepping up.

With their mobility, both hide offensive line deficiencies in the stats.

i need to find the link: the Cardinals o line was bottom half in the NFL in terms of quick pressure allowed.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Finding players who can out-perform their contracts is key. Paying big money to 32 year olds is not.
Yes! When was the last Keim signing to outperform their contract? Hicks was arguably one of Keims best free agent finds and he got released before the end of his deal.
K1 is like Russel Wilson: doesn't regularly throw with timing or anticipation. Likes to either see guys open, or, throwing down the field when coverage says that should be open. But like Wilson -- the holding the ball leads to bigger plays. Russ is better at stepping up.
This is good analysis and a strong point to how Kliff’s playcalling matters less because Kyler doesn’t have a 1-2-3 rhythm through his progressions.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Should've drafted at least 2 more in 2019.

Andy Isabella has played 493 offensive snaps with the Cards -- he played 30 last season(!!!!!)
Hakeem Butler has played 1 offensive snap in his entire NFL career (in 2020 with Philly)
KeeSean Johnson has played 585 pro offensive snaps (all with AZ -- Didn't play a down for Philly last year)

It makes me mad all over again that KeeSean Johnson could essentially miss an entire season and STILL HAVE MORE CAREER SNAPS THAN ANDY ISABELLA.

#fireKeim
Please…I can’t look at this anymore.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Signing Ertz to a huge contract would be really stupid. So, Keim will do it.
We think to much alike. I’m tired of signing older players. We need to start evaluating younger talent and take a chance.
A guy like Mo Alie-Cox is big, young and coming into his own. I’m pretty sure he would not command 10m a year. And he might actually stick around more than 1 year.
That being said, Ertz is going to be our starting TE.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose