Food Supply Chain Shortage

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anybody else running into this?

Some of favorite fast food places are closing around here. I guess they are saying there is a labor shortage which is making it hard to get food supplies.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Some of favorite fast food places are closing around here. I guess they are saying there is a labor shortage which is making it hard to get food supplies.
Tons of Help Wanted signs at fast-food joints, as well as seemingly every restaurant in the Phoenix area looking to hire for all positions.
But haven't seen any closures due to the labor shortage...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Many food production workers were immigrants (and yes, many undocumented). That labor source dried up, and yet the alleged rushing of Americans to fill those jobs never materialized.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tons of Help Wanted signs at fast-food joints, as well as seemingly every restaurant in the Phoenix area looking to hire for all positions.
But haven't seen any closures due to the labor shortage...
Same. All sorts of businesses, but especially fast food places and restaurants are desperately looking for workers. Offering employment bonuses and decent pay, too. That's across several states we have traveled to/through recently. Some have reduced their hours and others have put up signs apologizing in advance for a less than normal level of service due to short-staffing.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's okay. The robots will serve us. :)

California restaurant turns to sassy robot for extra help as it struggles to hire workers

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last week told at Taco Bell, "we are out of tortillas". This week, they are closed, except for drive through. Found this article.

Mod Pizza same kind of thing.

We are also having a worker shortage too, lots of help wanted signs, etc. like @82CardsGrad was saying.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

I've seen it with the Starbucks by me. They're missing a lot of menu items and they close earlier, like 3 pm instead of 9:30pm, on certain days now. It's supposed to be a combo of the supply shortage and not having enough staff to cover the old store hours.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to Circle K for a soda. They had no cups

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to look at some repairs in a US Foods distribution warehouse last week. Their business is largely restaurant and public school food supply. Their business is waaay down, but that's ok... they don't have all the products and no drivers for their delivery trucks. :sarcasm:

Two side notes that may interest only me... no one there was wearing a mask, not in office or forklift drivers. If you ever have to go in a food distribution center, bring a jacket... it's always freezing in there.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good article discussing how the supply and labor shortages are slamming restaurants

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
We stopped in a Buffalo Wild Wings last week and they were out of WINGS and hamburger...

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good explanatory article on azcentral.com today.

"

Root causes of the shortages​

Many of the delays are the result of pandemic factory closures in 2020 and earlier this year. Delays and shortages have been especially acute with automobiles, computer products and other items that depend on semiconductors, including toys."

This is going to impact holiday shopping for sure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The labor shortage maybe one of the most perplexing problems especially with the increase in wages.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The labor shortage maybe one of the most perplexing problems especially with the increase in wages.
See Great Resignation.
I think a lot of people have bailed on their jobs, started questioning why they are in their job or career, and many businesses have gone under since COVID.

Also, younger generations have a different attitude than when I was their age. Many are not pursuing the traditional work work work, student loans...college... career...mortgage, debts... family... babies .... health problems... retirement...death tract that my generation has followed. ( I'm 56).

If you look at the climate change projections, and many or them are, I don't blame them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See Great Resignation.
I think a lot of people have bailed on their jobs, started questioning why they are in their job or career, and many businesses have gone under since COVID.

Also, younger generations have a different attitude than when I was their age. Many are not pursuing the traditional work work work, student loans...college... career...mortgage, debts... family... babies .... health problems... retirement...death tract that my generation has followed. ( I'm 56).

If you look at the climate change projections, and many or them are, I don't blame them.

I can see people changing jobs but one still has to work to put food on the table, a roof over head and clothing or so I thought.

One thing for sure, COVID has messed with everybody's clock. I know my routine has changed.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see people changing jobs but one still has to work to put food on the table, a roof over head and clothing or so I thought.

One thing for sure, COVID has messed with everybody's clock. I know my routine has changed.

Remember, we are in the midst of the peak Baby Boomer retirement bubble. 3.2 million retired in 2020 alone. And many retired years before they were planning on because of the stress/strain of the pandemic and questioning why they are still working at age 65+

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson