Fodmap Elimination Diet

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here gone low Fodmap or been medically advised to try and eliminate high Fodmap foods? Looking at the list of stuff I should eat is frying my brain. I can't imagine giving up apples, asparagus, onions and especially garlic. Anyway, I'm interested to hear if others with GI issues have tried this approach and found it effective (or not).

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here gone low Fodmap or been medically advised to try and eliminate high Fodmap foods? Looking at the list of stuff I should eat is frying my brain. I can't imagine giving up apples, asparagus, onions and especially garlic. Anyway, I'm interested to hear if others with GI issues have tried this approach and found it effective (or not).

I haven't tried it, but from what I understand, you don't eliminate those foods forever. You eliminate for a set period of time until symptoms go away, and then slowly and deliberately, you start adding things back while keeping track of how you feel. The idea is that you might get to a point where the foods are no longer troublesome. And, if you do find one that brings the symptoms back, you'll know what the price is to pay for that food.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried it, but from what I understand, you don't eliminate those foods forever. You eliminate for a set period of time until symptoms go away, and then slowly and deliberately, you start adding things back while keeping track of how you feel. The idea is that you might get to a point where the foods are no longer troublesome. And, if you do find one that brings the symptoms back, you'll know what the price is to pay for that food.

That's true but I find the list of prohibited foods, herbs and spices fairly daunting. I can see cutting out a handful of food types for awhile and then adding them back as long as you can tolerate them but honestly, that approach makes no sense given all that's involved here. It's not like eating one asparagus (or any of the banned items) will necessarily bring on the symptoms so you have the challenge of knowing whether each item is really safe and how do you add back in one item at a time when you have hundreds and hundreds of foods, herbs and spices to work your way through.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true but I find the list of prohibited foods, herbs and spices fairly daunting. I can see cutting out a handful of food types for awhile and then adding them back as long as you can tolerate them but honestly, that approach makes no sense given all that's involved here. It's not like eating one asparagus (or any of the banned items) will necessarily bring on the symptoms so you have the challenge of knowing whether each item is really safe and how do you add back in one item at a time when you have hundreds and hundreds of foods, herbs and spices to work your way through.

I think you'd be forced to keep a food log and a symptom log to keep track of everything including all the things you gradually reintroduce and what your reaction is.

It sounds like a big pain in the butt, but I guess only you can decide if what you're going through makes it worth it.

You might ask your doc if they could refer you to a dietitian or something to assist you.

I'm sorry you're having issues. :(