FO: Cards need to unleash Kyler Murray

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

What could Murray do with the missing pages of the playbook? An increase in digs and outs would give him more and better chances to complete midrange passes for first downs; more flats and drags would diversify the YAC-oriented schemes that already make up a significant chunk of Kliff Kingsbury's Air Raid. (They would also take away from WR/TE screens, where Murray still had a negative DVOA.) Anything that makes Arizona's offense less predictable will make Murray more difficult to defend, and considering Murray was already in the top 10 in passing DYAR and DVOA, even a modest improvement would make him a viable MVP candidate.

I really want to put a little cheddar on Kyler for MVP but it’s hard to believe this team will get the 12+ wins to make a candidacy viable.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I really want to put a little cheddar on Kyler for MVP but it’s hard to believe this team will get the 12+ wins to make a candidacy viable.
The 12+ wins might be less of a factor this year with the AFC West cannibalizing itself. I tend to use my free-bets on award futures so I have some on Carr.

Allen (650), Rodgers(1000), Murray(2000) and Carr(2800) are the 4 I like best even though the lines have moved a bit. I like Rodgers and Kyler because of the NFC. Allen because of his division and ability. Carr just because he has a feasible path to breaking the single season passing yards mark.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
"Combine all of this information and you see the Cardinals loved screens of all sorts, along with swing routes and jet sweep passes. That's a lot of throws to targets at or behind the line of scrimmage, leaning on the receiver more than the passer to make a play. When Murray did throw downfield, it was typically on curl routes, the most common and predictable throw in the league, or low-percentage corner, seam, or fade routes, which are collectively completed less than half the time in the NFL."

I'd be much happier seeing fewer screens and passes behind the LOS, and more attacking of intermediate zones, not only because they are typically more successful, but just to give the D different looks. Things got pretty stagnant as the year went on.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The 12+ wins might be less of a factor this year with the AFC West cannibalizing itself. I tend to use my free-bets on award futures so I have some on Carr.

Allen (650), Rodgers(1000), Murray(2000) and Carr(2800) are the 4 I like best even though the lines have moved a bit. I like Rodgers and Kyler because of the NFC. Allen because of his division and ability. Carr just because he has a feasible path to breaking the single season passing yards mark.
My freebet on the Ravens missing the playoffs and the Cards and Rams finishing 1-2 in the division paid for the rest of my bad bets last year.

I think Dak could be a good MVP dark horse. Why couldn’t Dallas go 12-5?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My freebet on the Ravens missing the playoffs and the Cards and Rams finishing 1-2 in the division paid for the rest of my bad bets last year.

Missing 3/5s of their offensive line and down to 1 good receiver.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All over the radio today with a fantasy perspective they were massively downgrading dak due to his LT being out. They said he’s gonna be running for his life…

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i just read this a second time and its fascinating

Key takeaway: of the 12 routes charted, the Cards are bottom third of the league in targeting them on 7 of them!

Given one of the 12 plays they chart is "Broken plays" -- there are 4 routes that make up the bulk of Cards passing attack. (NOTE: this measures targets, so we don't know if its KKs plays, or, K1 favoring certain routes on a called play).

K1 has 6 routes where he has a +20% DVOA or better (which are near MVP QB numbers if done overall). Good! The problem is that 4 of those are routes they don't target very often (bottom third of the league).

There is an explanation for why they don't target those highly productive routes more: those could be used as tendency breakers to produce bigger plays.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I know what the rest of them are but what's a 'drag' route?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

54. Kyler Murray

QB | Cardinals
2021 rank: 21

Forget this past offseason full of Instagram scrubbing, missed OTAs, public negotiations and a contract extension. Murray is one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL. He guided Arizona to its first playoff appearance since 2015, even if it was a blow out by the Rams. He's a two-time Pro Bowler and former rookie of the year, and one of the most dynamic playmakers at in the NFL. -- Josh Weinfuss

Signature stat: Murray joins Prescott as the only passers to top 10,000 passing yards within their first three NFL seasons while also averaging a completion percentage north of 65% over that span. Murray's completion percentage (66.9%) and yardage (11,480) both slightly edge Prescott's numbers.

What they are saying: "What I would say is every year he's gotten dramatically better in every area, whether it's on the field, off the field, the way he carries himself, preparation, all those things. He's just learned to be a pro." -- Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury

2022 projection: 4,112 passing yards, 25 TDs, 13 INTs (491 yards/5 TDs rushing)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave