Floyd to TE?

OmahaCardsFan

Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure why this tought has entered my mind, but everytime I see highlights it seems this guy is just relentless in his blocking ability. He has a big frame, has good hands and may never be a receiver that gets great separation on CB's. But against LB's that may be a different story. Isn't he like 225lbs now and 6' 4" tall? Another 20 lb's of muscle and he could be a stud TE. Just a thought. Maybe housler with his speed would be better suited for WR? :) Housler's blocking was pathetic from what I have seen this preseason.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Housler has improved a lot on blocking. But that doesn't make him great at it yet.

Floyd has struggled imo. But that's pretty common for rookie WRs.

I am a BPA believer in the draft, but at this point I would use every pick we have on the online until this problem is fixed.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Great thought Omaha! While the Cardinals won't ever officially call him a TE, what you are on to is using Floyd in the slot where at times he will be matched up against linebackers, safeties or nickel backs who Floyd could exploit in the passing game and maneuver in the running game.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So this would be saying we used a #1 pick on a guy and had to move him to a new position and have him put on 20 lb's?

I believe these type of experiments are done with late round or undrafted players.

Cards aren't moving Floyd to TE.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Great thought Omaha! While the Cardinals won't ever officially call him a TE, what you are on to is using Floyd in the slot where at times he will be matched up against linebackers, safeties or nickel backs who Floyd could exploit in the passing game and maneuver in the running game.

I think he could be used in a double TE formation with Housler or King, but even that may be a stretch. I don't know what to make of Housler, he's been underutilized this pre season, imo. I think he'd bring pretty much the same package as Floyd could there.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So this would be saying we used a #1 pick on a guy and had to move him to a new position and have him put on 20 lb's?

I believe these type of experiments are done with late round or undrafted players.

Cards aren't moving Floyd to TE.
Or another way to look at it is that pro offenses are continually evolving, with a growing priority being to find novel ways to get the most out of unique skill players. (Examples - Gronkowski and Graham's expanded roles).

To look for new ways to take advantage of Floyd's size, speed and hands is not, by any means, "giving up on him."

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The ever present ASFN desire to have players change positions strikes again. Mitch is the President of that club as well.

The guy hasn't played a single real NFL game yet.

Here is the reality: even if you list him as a TE, the minute you bring him in, the D will respond just like he is a third WR. I don't think coaches are so dogmatic as to think "well, it says TE next to his name in the program, so let's bring in a LB".

If Floys is a really good blocker, and it was the one thing he did really well in Tenn, you can show three WRs, the defense will respond to three WRs with nickel personnel, and you then have Floyd blocking a DB. Advantage Cardinals.

You don't have to change Floyd's position to take advantage of his blocking skills.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Oh, he looks good blocking now due to who he has to block for his position...changing him to TE, he would have to block guys a lot bigger and then this thought would not appear to be such a good idea. He is a great blocking WR but not a TE in the NFL.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Floyd blocks corners, not OLBs and DE hybrids.

New topic: Would Lebron James be a pro bowler if he played football? Probably at WR. Id guess hed be top 5.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or another way to look at it is that pro offenses are continually evolving, with a growing priority being to find novel ways to get the most out of unique skill players. (Examples - Gronkowski and Graham's expanded roles).

To look for new ways to take advantage of Floyd's size, speed and hands is not, by any means, "giving up on him."

He isn't being moved to TE. I assure you that.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We had this same debate over David Boston.

Remember, if you're a TE, you're a glorified o lineman and have to pass block. Floyd has probably never played on the line ever in his life. and it's not as easy as just putting on weight.

The answer is a resounding "no."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk