Floyd resigns from USC

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how large the payout was to resign. Pete Carroll should kick in a few of those bucks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder where he'll end up? :shrug:

You never know but I think Floyd's college career is over. By quitting he's essentially conceding some if not all of the allegations are true, that makes him untouchable to most programs.

The claim is his lawyer was at USC last week trying to negotiate a buyout and he quit without telling USC. He literally sent his letter of resignation to the paper in Miss who then ran it and then he later delivered the letter to someone at USC who had already heard on the internet Floyd had quit. In the letter in the Miss paper he refers to USC as "Southern Cal" which is apparently not loved much at USC. When USC released the official PR, they changed it to "University of Southern California" but then later changed it back apparently deciding you're not supposed to edit quotes liek that.

The assumption is Floyd used Southern Cal on purpose as a slam on USC, and sent it to a Miss paper as a slam on the LA papers so they would get scooped. The thinking is Floyd decided if he stayed and the NCAA comes out and says he broke rules, he has less leverage in a buyout, so by quitting he gets out with a buyout before they know exactly what the NCAA has uncovered.

Scott Wolf said on ESPN this morning they expect to hear on basketball in 6-8 weeks from the NCAA, football is up in the air due to "legal delays" which I assume means Bush using every legal angle possible to delay having to testify in lawsuits which would provide info to the NCAA.

Momo Jones decommitted today, sounds like Derrick Williams will too. I would assume Williams will get offers from many Pac 10 schools, not sure on Jones, he's now decommitted FOUR times, although you can't fault him this time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy nails it:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9665990/Floyd-created-a-mess,-but-he-also-had-company

The hoops cheating was irrelevant, outside of being useful for Mike Garett to use to protect USC football. It's all so meaningless since the NCAA would never bring the hammer down on USC football anyway.

Some I agree with USC is absolutely using basketball to hopefully protect football now.

But he's wrong about how and why Floyd left. It's VERY clear that nobody at USC knew when they went to work yesterday that Floyd was quitting, he didn't tell Garrett, he didn't tell Sample,he didn't tell his assistants or his players. It's very clear reporters are saying they literally surprised 3 of his assistants (Phil Johnson, Cantu and Gib Arnold) by asking for their comment on Floyd's resignation, none of the 3 knew about it and it was already in the Miss paper's website courtesy of Floyd giving it to them.

USC was negotiating a buyout to fire Floyd, they were apparently willing to do it before the NCAA ruled, but on their terms. Floyd apparently didn't like their terms.

USC didn't reject Sidney to force out Floyd, they did it because they found the same information UCLA found(about their monthly rent and incomes being so disparate) and realized they had just had a press conference to announce they'd signed OJ Mayo's taller twin(in terms of amateur status).

That's why nobody is signing Lance Stephenson now and people are again predicting Europe for him. As Gary Parrish said today people saw what happened at USC, they see the NCAA asking for bank records from the Sidney family at MSU, and they're saying no thanks to Lance who everyone apparently is now convinced is no more an amateur than Mayo was.

USC wanted Floyd to be outed as dirty a bit before they fired him so they could somewhat claim rogue coach not systemic to the athletic department.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USC wanted Floyd to be outed as dirty a bit before they fired him so they could somewhat claim rogue coach not systemic to the athletic department.

I completely disagree. This provides a way for the NCAA to nail USC for "lack of institutional control." The penalties will fall on hoops and the athletic department. Pete Carroll will emerge untainted and still employed to keep that USC football cash machine humming. Nothing else matters.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely disagree. This provides a way for the NCAA to nail USC for "lack of institutional control." The penalties will fall on hoops and the athletic department. Pete Carroll will emerge untainted and still employed to keep that USC football cash machine humming. Nothing else matters.

Jon Wilner agrees with me he thinks USC's entire defense now is Floyd was a rogue coach doing this on his own and we were going to fire him but he quit first.

Wilner also has an interesting domino game that was somewhat tongue in cheek. He said if USC persuades Dixon to take the job, it might be after a year with an interim(so Dixon can find out what the sanctions are). And then after Dixon leaves Pitt, they immediately pursue... Sean Miller. Interesting idea UA would ordinarily be the better job, but Miller of course played for Pitt.

Doubt it would happen but it was an interesting idea.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ray Ratto sides with me. College hoops is totally corrupt and will never be cleaned up. USC's football cash cow will be protected and the school will quickly recover.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11841702

I agree with that too it's dirty and probably always will be.

I just think IF Mayo really gets in legal trouble over this that might be a start in the right direction. Right now there's almost no disincentive to take money for the kids, they get away with it.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Garrett is the one who should be nailed. I suspect he is the figurehead, but for him to remain unimpeachable and untainted is preposterous. Where are the journalists on this one? That guy is wearing a Teflon suit.

All of this goes on under his nose and yet no one holds him accountable. They should rename that program Payoff U. Those $100 booster handshakes are out of control.

Where in Hell is the Pac 10 commissioners office in this one?
Thomas C. Hansen succeeded Wiles Hallock as the fifth Commissioner of the Pacific-10 Conference on July 1, 1983. Previously, he was an NCAA administrator for 16 years, preceded by seven years as Director of Public Relations for the Pac-10 (then the AAWU).

Oh never mind. He has friends and he is retiring in July, 2009.

Maybe Larry Scott, the new commissioner, will look a bit closer. After all, he is the reigning Women's Tennis Ass'n. President. :sarcasm:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Jon Wilner agrees with me he thinks USC's entire defense now is Floyd was a rogue coach doing this on his own and we were going to fire him but he quit first.

Wilner also has an interesting domino game that was somewhat tongue in cheek. He said if USC persuades Dixon to take the job, it might be after a year with an interim(so Dixon can find out what the sanctions are). And then after Dixon leaves Pitt, they immediately pursue... Sean Miller. Interesting idea UA would ordinarily be the better job, but Miller of course played for Pitt.

Doubt it would happen but it was an interesting idea.
The USC Administration threw Floyd to the wolves at the NCAA to save the golden goose - Trojan Football. Smart move by Garrett.

And I won't even address the Miller-Pitt rumor except to say that Pitt could never afford him or his buyout. Not that Miller would ever leave Tucson three months after taking the job. And I'm sure his assistants and him would love to take a huge paycut to move back to the East Coast just several weeks after moving from Cincinnati to Tucson. If anyone should be worried about it's coach should Dixon take the USC job (and I'm guessing he will not) it's Arizona State.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The USC Administration threw Floyd to the wolves at the NCAA to save the golden goose - Trojan Football. Smart move by Garrett.

And I won't even address the Miller-Pitt rumor except to say that Pitt could never afford him or his buyout. Not that Miller would ever leave Tucson three months after taking the job. And I'm sure his assistants and him would love to take a huge paycut to move back to the East Coast just several weeks after moving from Cincinnati to Tucson. If anyone should be worried about it's coach should Dixon take the USC job (and I'm guessing he will not) it's Arizona State.
That would be fine with me. I am pretty lukewarm about Sendek. Thanks to you mostly, Mao.

:)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Garrett is the one who should be nailed. I suspect he is the figurehead, but for him to remain unimpeachable and untainted is preposterous. Where are the journalists on this one? That guy is wearing a Teflon suit.

All of this goes on under his nose and yet no one holds him accountable. They should rename that program Payoff U. Those $100 booster handshakes are out of control.

Where in Hell is the Pac 10 commissioners office in this one?

Oh never mind. He has friends and he is retiring in July, 2009.

Maybe Larry Scott, the new commissioner, will look a bit closer. After all, he is the reigning Women's Tennis Ass'n. President. :sarcasm:

FWIW there are rumors on USC boards that Garrett could be fired.

I question it, if you fire the AD now you're admitting lack of institutional control because it went beyond Floyd, but many say Garrett is to blame and will be sacrificed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I've heard Sean isn't all that tight with Pitt these days, I forget the reason why. Everyone is saying Dixon will turn down USC but on my favorite UCLA board the well informed people are saying don't believe that if USC comes up with the money, Dixon will take the job.

It's an interesting situation if you get a long enough contract to outlast any sanctions, it COULD be a great job. He's from LA, his wife went to SC, he's clean which USC needs. He'll have no pressure to win at first coming off sanctions and a decimated roster, he should be able to recruit etc.

If you think about it if USC gets Dixon in a few years the Pac 10 will have added Robinson, Monty, Miller and Dixon all of whom are going to be very stiff competition for UCLA. Outside of Dawkins I don't think there's been a bad coaching hire in awhile. If Oregon every wises up and cans Kent there could be 6 really interesting programs in the Pac 10 we could see the strongest conference we've had in ages in a few years.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Robinson won't be in the Pac-10 very long unless he gets the USC gig which he's a darkhorse candidate. He's likely to end up at Depaul next April.

And I have heard Dixon would take USC but for some reason I'm skeptical regarding the timing. Maybe next year if they go with an interim? But now with no time left to make up ground seems a bit far-fetched. USC will come up with the cash though if it's a possibility.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robinson won't be in the Pac-10 very long unless he gets the USC gig which he's a darkhorse candidate. He's likely to end up at Depaul next April.

And I have heard Dixon would take USC but for some reason I'm skeptical regarding the timing. Maybe next year if they go with an interim? But now with no time left to make up ground seems a bit far-fetched. USC will come up with the cash though if it's a possibility.

Wow DePaul was great but now it seems iffy? Talent base is there but there's so many academic issues with Chicago HS players and competing with Illinois etc Depaul has become irrelevant.

Scott Wolf says that Dixon is the top choice then Jeff Van Gundy, Theus and Eustachy. He was askedy why Eustachy he and Floyd are great friends, and the answer was USC knows Eustachy through Floyd and they seem to like him. Of that list I'd say Eustachy's a no, past history is not good. Theus had rumors around him at Louisville and NMSU for recruiting, a no no coming off NCAA trouble for USC. Van Gundy I'd be surprised if he wants to leave the broadcasting for a college job, NBA yeah, not college.

Cleamons and Shaw of the Lakers have expressed "some" interest not sure how much, neither has any college coaching experience. I almost think USC will just throw a huge offer at Dixon because if he says no I'm not sure the 2nd option is very good?

Wolf said Floyd got low 7 figures to go away. Dixon's buyout is supposedly over a million. If they forfeit games with Mayo that includes one NCAA game which = money even though they lost has to be returned to the NCAA. So add in lawyers fees etc and it's going to cost USC 3-4 million just to resolve all that without the annual salary. They have a lot of rich boosters but most are football fans who are pissed that basketball could hurt the football team.

If they're smart they'd see pony up the money for Dixon it will be better for football, just not sure they're that smart.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Maybe next year if they go with an interim? .

It seems to me that if USC has to go for an interim it may imply that they know their going to have the NCAA come down pretty hard on them. It may send out signals of 'this job is toxic' which may hurt them when they try to find a permanent coach.

Though if they do wait a year Id imagine the Dixon to SC, Miller to Pitt thing would be slightly more possible. It wouldn't solve the buyout that you mentioned but at least Miller wouldn't be jumping ship 3 months into a job.

Also, as much as I love what Herbs done for ASU I'm not entirely sure Pitt would hire him or have him high on their list. They probably feel (rightly or wrongly) that their too good for him.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the announcement that Alabama just got sanctions, I'm not so sure that anyone , with integrity, will jump at USC. In calmer times, Seth Greenberg would make a very good choice. He can flat out coach with lesser talent and would kick ass with good talent. He is currently underemployed at Va Tech, in the ACC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave