Flight Plan 2022

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Last year's shell of Chandler has to be replaced, no doubt; how is the question?
Lol, shell. We'll be wishing we had that shell when he's gone - that shell was unquestionably our best pass rusher, and the only edge any team would have to gameplan.

Reactions: PJ1

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think, in theory, that's the line of BS the front office is trying to sell the fans.
But I still fail to see how we replace the departure of guys like Chandler Jones and Kirk. Are they trying to sell Gardeck and Dogbe as the replacement for that production?
And I'm not saying Kirk was a world beater but who is replacing him at this point? Rondale Moore was already playing last year. Are they trying to say he is the replacement? There should have been another vet WR added, other than AJ Green. Green did not have the passion or the motivation to be an impact player. He was just going thru the motions, as evidenced by his play at the end of the GB game
Other than the opener, what makes CJ so difficult to replace? And he was downright awful against the run ALL year. All he focused on was sacks, and he couldn’t even do that after the opener. And I think Green’s biggest issue was not being familiar with the offense as opposed to going through the motions. The Cardinals will be adding two more receivers yet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I know it's fun to say the sky is falling, but if you look at the market across the NFL, this might just be the new normal (at least it was this year). The salary cap is likely to explode in the next couple years; teams want to maximize that flexibility going out, and it seems like there are like eight teams in the NFL who are competing for a Super Bowl and everyone else is tanking.

That makes it frustrating that it doesn't feel like we want to make the push toward being one the handful of teams in the NFC who really want to try and win. Right now I think we're kind of hoping we win and feeling blocked by San Francisco and LA.
This. I think the team sees this as a year to not take on additional monies towards future years and to have a reset of the cap next year.

Could the Cardinals have resigned Chandler Jones? Yes. Should they have resigned Chandler Jones? No.

The same could be said for the other free agents as well.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This. I think the team sees this as a year to not take on additional monies towards future years and to have a reset of the cap next year.

Could the Cardinals have resigned Chandler Jones? Yes. Should they have resigned Chandler Jones? No.

Depends on whether or not they want to compete in a weaker NFC this year. They clearly have chosen to punt vs. going all in. Interesting move in the last season of a rookie QB contract, but that's more a reflection of poor decision making along the way than anything else.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Other than the opener, what makes CJ so difficult to replace? And he was downright awful against the run ALL year. All he focused on was sacks, and he couldn’t even do that after the opener. And I think Green’s biggest issue was not being familiar with the offense as opposed to going through the motions. The Cardinals will be adding two more receivers yet.
Chandler Jones may not be what he once was but we have done absolutely nothing to address the hole. CJ was deemed a top 5-10 FA heading into this FA season. Not saying I wanted to spend the money at the going rate but he is still considered an upper echelon defender.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lol, shell. We'll be wishing we had that shell when he's gone - that shell was unquestionably our best pass rusher, and the only edge any team would have to gameplan.

2021:

CJ: 31 tackles - 10.5 sacks* - 6 forced fumbles

MG: 33 tackles - 11.0 sacks - 4 forced fumbles

* 5.5 sacks after game one of the season.

So much for 'unquestionable' and I can only conclude that you didn't note his play before last season if you can't accept 'shell' as an appropriate term.

And what 'game planning' pray tell?

Did they double team him or run the other way?

I'll venture that we'll manufacture those 10.5 sacks for a fraction of the cost.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
2021:

CJ: 31 tackles - 10.5 sacks* - 6 forced fumbles

MG: 33 tackles - 11.0 sacks - 4 forced fumbles

* 5.5 sacks after game one of the season.

So much for 'unquestionable' and I can only conclude that you didn't note his play before last season if you can't accept 'shell' as an appropriate term.

And what 'game planning' pray tell?

Did they double team him or run the other way?

I'll venture that we'll manufacture those 10.5 sacks for a fraction of the cost.
Making an entire argument on value based on sacks, lol.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right?

The fact that people also don't factor when when losing a player like Jones... you are creating a major hole that you have to fill, without the resources to do so, taking away from adding those resources to a different position group. Lack of draft picks, not the desire to sign free agents means it is still a hole that we have no idea how to solve.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

lol Keeping the powder dry with a QB on a rookie deal :bang:

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I mean he was bad at defending the run and was rarely doubled teamed. We need a replacement but I doubt we'll miss him. He wasn't game changer last year outside of a single game. Paying him what the Raiders paid him would be an unspeakably bad move.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
things i noticed in the vid:

Steve has put a few lbs on

no Adrian Wilson. his title involves pro personnel, but interesting.

Terry McDonough at one point was important enough to be in the draft room -- he is still listed on the Cards website. Now invisible.

Stu Grigson is getting lots of airtime -- he has appeared on a few Cardinal podcasts as well

Keim told the story of the 2014 draft where "literally the four players we liked were taken in the four spots ahead of us, so you have to be prepared " i think he means in their original draft slot at 20th, their guys went to they had a deal with NO to trade down to 27, where they took Deone Buccanon. fwiw those four players are Zach Martin, CJ Mosely, Calvin Prior and Juwan James.

curious if this is a tell on possibly trading down

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler Jones may not be what he once was but we have done absolutely nothing to address the hole. CJ was deemed a top 5-10 FA heading into this FA season. Not saying I wanted to spend the money at the going rate but he is still considered an upper echelon defender.
He may be considered upper echelon by the moron sports media that doesn’t know what we know, but truth be told, he is nowhere near upper echelon. If the Raiders are good enough to just let him pin back his ears & go 100% for sacks, he’ll be fine. But, if he’s expected to also stop the run, then he’ll be a horrible waste of money. That hole will be easily addressed. Whether it’s in the draft or in late FA. There are better options out there right now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Episode 2 is up on YouTube. It's the usual draft circle jerk but you can see 10 or so players they interviewed. Not one of which I recognised.
Early on I recognized Joshua Ezeudu, OG from North Carolina. Very athletic guard who needs technique work. More of a later round player.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
things i noticed in the vid:

Steve has put a few lbs on

no Adrian Wilson. his title involves pro personnel, but interesting.

Terry McDonough at one point was important enough to be in the draft room -- he is still listed on the Cards website. Now invisible.

Stu Grigson is getting lots of airtime -- he has appeared on a few Cardinal podcasts as well

Keim told the story of the 2014 draft where "literally the four players we liked were taken in the four spots ahead of us, so you have to be prepared " i think he means in their original draft slot at 20th, their guys went to they had a deal with NO to trade down to 27, where they took Deone Buccanon. fwiw those four players are Zach Martin, CJ Mosely, Calvin Prior and Juwan James.

curious if this is a tell on possibly trading down
Wilson was there.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He may be considered upper echelon by the moron sports media that doesn’t know what we know, but truth be told, he is nowhere near upper echelon. If the Raiders are good enough to just let him pin back his ears & go 100% for sacks, he’ll be fine. But, if he’s expected to also stop the run, then he’ll be a horrible waste of money. That hole will be easily addressed. Whether it’s in the draft or in late FA. There are better options out there right now.
"Easily addressed." Mm hmm, sure.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Right, and keeping your powder dry isn't really a thing, especially in the modern cap era. It's especially egregious because the NFC is weak this season. But, yeah, let's give up and wait until next year :bang:
The Cardinals aren't the Saints. Few teams are running the cap the way Darksiders on this board are advocating.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Right, and keeping your powder dry isn't really a thing, especially in the modern cap era. It's especially egregious because the NFC is weak this season. But, yeah, let's give up and wait until next year :bang:
It's not Madden.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right?

The fact that people also don't factor when when losing a player like Jones... you are creating a major hole that you have to fill, without the resources to do so, taking away from adding those resources to a different position group. Lack of draft picks, not the desire to sign free agents means it is still a hole that we have no idea how to solve.

???

We have three draft picks which can conceivably give us a pass rusher, and there are still some VETS out there that will come in at a price point well below CJ.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Easily addressed." Mm hmm, sure.
Look, I still think CJ can produce if HE wants to. But, we certainly didn’t get that last year. It was as though he didn’t even attempt to make tackles in the attempt to preserve himself for a decent contract. Which, in fact, he actually did. He knew he was never going to get that money from the Cardinals regardless of his production. So he saved himself. We put more pressure on the QB the year before when he didn’t play. I expect the same this year. Our DL will be better without him, even though he may have a very good season in Vegas. Unless we paid him, we were never going to see the old CJ. And we were NEVER going to pay him. And that’s ok.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson