Flat Earth, Dish Detergent Challenge, Its cold so climate change is a lie.....

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by RugbyMuffin, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

^^^Just like Heller. The radical/unqualified Right-wing justices (Scalia/Gorsuch, Alito, and Thomas) want to re-write all aspects of American law to fit their extremist viewpoints.

Another reason why McCain, etc are all traitors to the US for their political holding of Garland's rightful nomination.

We really need a new court to come in and overturn every single Alito/Scalia decision.

2. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

Heller was different; that was more a case of first impression. A lot of constitutional right litigation came about in the latter half of the 1900's. The First Amendment, for example, started to be litigated in meaningful form in the early 1900's. I'm OK with cases of first impression; the problem with those cases, however, is usually the Court will sway with the prevailing winds of the time (which is a case for originalism, much like your Heller argument. Scalia would be pleased).

Really, what I think is that most people (when it comes to the law) want to fit the law to their viewpoint. Originalism and living constitutionalists are frameworks, but outside of a faithful few, most people really don't understand the doctrines involved or what they stand for.

As a proponent of stare decisis, I am not ok with simply overturning precedent simply because there were a few judges on the bench that you have a political disagreement with. That's a slippery slope; conservative judges could (using the same rationale) outlaw gay marriage tomorrow and even invalidate the majority of federal law (going back to Ogden v. Gibbons). Rather, once it's decided, let it stay decided absent extreme circumstances. And prior to any upending of stare decisis, I would like SCOTUS to find that extreme circumstances exist and to put those circumstances in their opinion as justification.

What the Court is poised to do here in this case is a bad omen and a sign of things to come, methinks.

3. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

de826f078a2aafb13ecc753e165bec2c.png

BigRedRage and LoyaltyisaCurse like this.
  4. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

5. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

UncleChris and Linderbee like this.
  6. AZCrazy

AZCrazy Registered

You're arguing fine points of legal interpretation with a group that thinks that anyone who disagrees with them is unqualified and extremist. The court needs balance, finely crafted and permanent. Our country has become extraordinarily liberal in the last generation, causing the expected and natural extreme response in conservatism from the other side, and all it has done is serve to make our viewpoints seem ever more extreme and diametrically opposed. The media thrives on sensationalism rather than truth, the Russians stoke the flames daily by encouraging willing dupes on both sides to weaken our nation's cohesiveness. We are not nearly as divided and angry as those who would profit from such would make it seem.

LVG and AsUpRoDiGy like this.
  7. nidan

nidan Oscar Contributor

More accurately the level of education has gone up making the lies from the right harder to sell.

I'm not talking about you and rational discussions of budgets and the like, I'm talking the BS like our Senate leader. One day he says we must wait for the next president and the next it's fine to go with SC nominee in the last year and he expects people to buy this as not hypercritical ?

The GOP will realize paybacks are a bitch if the Demos win the all 3 in the next election

8. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

9. TJ

TJ Suge White

10. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor