Five Cardinals with the Most at Stake in 2022

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler Murray is going to get a massive contract extension sometime before Labor Day. Dennis Gardeck, Steve Keim, and Kliff Kingsbury are already taken care of for the medium term. Marquise Brown likely will have to wait until 2023 to see a new deal. These players are at a career crossroads and can set themselves up nicely for a big payday next year in free agency:

1) D.J. Humphries, LT - Humphries is still 28 years old and a clear starting-caliber player. If he comes into camp motivated and able he could earn a $20 million per year contract

2) Byron Murphy, CB - Last season Murphy was the flex point in Vance Joseph's defense, moving inside and out to take advantage of key matchups. The results was career bests in interceptions, completion percentage allowed, and QB rating against. With a similar season he could easily vault himself into $15 million+ APY territory. He's only 24.

3) Jalen Thompson, S - Quietly Thompson lead the team in total tackles last season, and may be the most important member of Vance's defense because of his ability to play the deep third and come up to stop the run. Thompson turns 24 this year and could easily ask $8 million in annual comp with another quality season under his belt.

4) Zach Allen, DE - Allen has become the consummate snaps-eater at the defensive end position for the Arizona Cardinals. He won't be a star or make a ton of splashy plays, but he can be a reliable piece of a good defense. That said, without Chandler Jones, Corey Peters, and Jordan Phillips around to cash in sack opportunities, Allen could be a huge beneficiary of a greater contribution from J.J. Watt — vaulting his earnings potential from $6-8 million per year to $12-14 million.

5) Maxx Williams, TE - The most on-field intrigue in this year's training camp will be the availability and rehab of Maxx Williams. It's hard to believe that Williams is only 28, and proven NFL tight ends can be valuable starters into the mid-30s. If Williams can put together 12 games in the same way he started out 2021, he could get $10 million guaranteed on his next deal.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hump is 30 years old?

Damn, I thought he was younger for some reason.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'd bet on Thompson/Maxx and get them while they're still cheap. Allen looks like mostly a guy, and paying Murphy terrifies me. Hump seems good enough, at the right price.
He actually turns 29 at the end of this season.
Crazy he's been in the league for that long, but BA was knee deep awhile back I guess.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The bottom line here is that Keim probably won't want to keep all of these guys. If we decide we're not ready to extend Hollywood Brown next winter ($13.4 million cap number per OTC), I think we keep Hump, Murphy, and Allen. Thompson walks because we don't want to spend over $28 million on safeties.

Hump @ $18 million APY
Murphy @ $16 million APY
Allen @ $8 million APY

That's $32 million of a projected $37.9 million in 2023 cap space. Kyler's extension will reduce his scheduled $16.8 million cap hit down to maybe $8-10 million.

If Moore takes the next step and McBride shows promise you probably feel pretty good about the core of this team.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'd bet on Thompson/Maxx and get them while they're still cheap. Allen looks like mostly a guy, and paying Murphy terrifies me. Hump seems good enough, at the right price.

Crazy he's been in the league for that long, but BA was knee deep awhile back I guess.
He's entering his eighth NFL season, surprisingly.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
so if the Cards surprise on the upside this season -- lets call that >10 wins and a playoff run of some kind

its likely because players 1-4 above had really good seasons

in that regard, I would also submit Zaven Collins, Isiah Simmons and Rondale Moore as young players who could be sources of better than expected performance

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The bottom line here is that Keim probably won't want to keep all of these guys. If we decide we're not ready to extend Hollywood Brown next winter ($13.4 million cap number per OTC), I think we keep Hump, Murphy, and Allen. Thompson walks because we don't want to spend over $28 million on safeties.

Hump @ $18 million APY
Murphy @ $16 million APY
Allen @ $8 million APY

That's $32 million of a projected $37.9 million in 2023 cap space. Kyler's extension will reduce his scheduled $16.8 million cap hit down to maybe $8-10 million.

If Moore takes the next step and McBride shows promise you probably feel pretty good about the core of this team.
What pisses me off is that we are likely going to be at a decision point on Byron Murphy, Zach Allen, and Jalen Thompson in the offseason we are likely to hire a new DC and have a new scheme. Really poor timing.

Letting Jalen walk is going to bother me because I feel like he fits the modern NFL better than Budda.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Kyler Murray is going to get a massive contract extension sometime before Labor Day. Dennis Gardeck, Steve Keim, and Kliff Kingsbury are already taken care of for the medium term. Marquise Brown likely will have to wait until 2023 to see a new deal. These players are at a career crossroads and can set themselves up nicely for a big payday next year in free agency:

1) D.J. Humphries, LT - Humphries is still 28 years old and a clear starting-caliber player. If he comes into camp motivated and able he could earn a $20 million per year contract

2) Byron Murphy, CB - Last season Murphy was the flex point in Vance Joseph's defense, moving inside and out to take advantage of key matchups. The results was career bests in interceptions, completion percentage allowed, and QB rating against. With a similar season he could easily vault himself into $15 million+ APY territory. He's only 24.

3) Jalen Thompson, S - Quietly Thompson lead the team in total tackles last season, and may be the most important member of Vance's defense because of his ability to play the deep third and come up to stop the run. Thompson turns 24 this year and could easily ask $8 million in annual comp with another quality season under his belt.

4) Zach Allen, DE - Allen has become the consummate snaps-eater at the defensive end position for the Arizona Cardinals. He won't be a star or make a ton of splashy plays, but he can be a reliable piece of a good defense. That said, without Chandler Jones, Corey Peters, and Jordan Phillips around to cash in sack opportunities, Allen could be a huge beneficiary of a greater contribution from J.J. Watt — vaulting his earnings potential from $6-8 million per year to $12-14 million.

5) Maxx Williams, TE - The most on-field intrigue in this year's training camp will be the availability and rehab of Maxx Williams. It's hard to believe that Williams is only 28, and proven NFL tight ends can be valuable starters into the mid-30s. If Williams can put together 12 games in the same way he started out 2021, he could get $10 million guaranteed on his next deal.
I think you are overselling Allen and Williams.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
What pisses me off is that we are likely going to be at a decision point on Byron Murphy, Zach Allen, and Jalen Thompson in the offseason we are likely to hire a new DC and have a new scheme. Really poor timing.

Letting Jalen walk is going to bother me because I feel like he fits the modern NFL better than Budda.
Not a popular opinion but imo we should have traded Baker this year.
VJ does not use him to his strengths and we have a guy ready to take his snaps.
Draft capital would have helped the team more than the difference between Baker and Thompson

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Take a look at the salaries for those positions. Michael Brockers makes $9 million a year.

Same with Tight Ends. Proven veteran TEs are hard to find and keep in the NFL.

Zach Allen isn't even a Tim Settle who's getting 4.5m. No chance he's getting 10m or near it. He's 10 a penny.

Tight Ends that have never passed 268 yards and won't next year without a full season and Ertz and McBride competing for targets isn't getting 10m a year.

Neither is Murphy getting close to 16m unless he massively improves this year.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thompson will probably get the Tony Jefferson treatment, unfortunately.

I don't see any way they pay Williams more than TE3 money.

Humphries will likely re-sign. The O-line situation next year is just too uncertain as a whole to let your LT walk without a replacement.

Allen is kind of a similar situation to Humphries. Watt's contract will be up, and we still don't really have a NT, so 2/3 of the d-line already needs rebuilding.

I think Keim ends up overpaying Murphy. I still don't think Murphy has the athleticism to be a top corner, but something tells me Keim will pay him like one. Keim has to re-sign at least one of his draft picks again at some point.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would pay that money just Jalen thompson, definitely the most promising defensive player we have, he can do everything
Its time to trade budda baker and his massive contract
Budda is fun to watch but Thompson is a more complete safety

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Zach Allen isn't even a Tim Settle who's getting 4.5m. No chance he's getting 10m or near it. He's 10 a penny.
I don't see it. Settle played 20% of snaps in for the Washington albatross. He has 12 career QB hits. Zach Allen had a very respectable 15 QB hits last year alone.

Allen is still scratching the surface of what he could become. A team will absolutely pay him more than you think
Tight Ends that have never passed 268 yards and won't next year without a full season and Ertz and McBride competing for targets isn't getting 10m a year.
I agree on this. No way will anyone throw out serio dough on Williams with his injury history alone.
Neither is Murphy getting close to 16m unless he massively improves this year.
Disagree. Murphy is pretty underrated on this board now. He isn't a great corner, but he's pretty good.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Hump @ $18 million APY
Murphy @ $16 million APY
Allen @ $8 million APY

This years draft class has to have at least ONE of the young front seven players to become an above average player.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see it. Settle played 20% of snaps in for the Washington albatross. He has 12 career QB hits. Zach Allen had a very respectable 15 QB hits last year alone.

Settle didn't play as many snaps as Allen because he was on probably the deepest defensive line in the league. He would beat out Allen on our roster.

Allen has only played the snap numbers he has because of either injuries or not having anyone else. Not because he's good.

Let's say Dorance Armstrong then. Same age Allen will be next year. Just resigned with the Boys for $6m per year. Similar stats. He isn't topping that. And I wouldn't pay him that, he's probably the most replaceable starter on the roster.

Really Keim's biggest let down this year has been not doing more on the DI. Especially with a view to Allen walking next season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Settle didn't play as many snaps as Allen because he was on probably the deepest defensive line in the league. He would beat out Allen on our roster.
Which means he's fresh to wreak havoc when he comes in...playing more snaps doesn't always mean higher stats...sometimes it means lower stats.
Allen has only played the snap numbers he has because of either injuries or not having anyone else. Not because he's good.
Like I said he had a respectable 15 QB hits last year, 4 sacks, an interception, and a fumble recovery for a TD. For a 3-4 lineman that's decent stats. He's a solid DL. Solid DL right now are getting around $10 mil.
Let's say Dorance Armstrong then. Same age Allen will be next year. Just resigned with the Boys for $6m per year. Similar stats. He isn't topping that. And I wouldn't pay him that, he's probably the most replaceable starter on the roster.
Dorance Armstrong doesn't even play the same kind of position. He's 25 lbs lighter. Hes more of an edge, to Allen's DL.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which means he's fresh to wreak havoc when he comes in...playing more snaps doesn't always mean higher stats...sometimes it means lower stats.

Like I said he had a respectable 15 QB hits last year, 4 sacks, an interception, and a fumble recovery for a TD. For a 3-4 lineman that's decent stats. He's a solid DL. Solid DL right now are getting around $10 mil.

Dorance Armstrong doesn't even play the same kind of position. He's 25 lbs lighter. Hes more of an edge, to Allen's DL.

I will happily put money on Allen not getting close to $10m. Fotukasi just got $10m and Allen isn't close unless he suddenly takes off this year. I can't think of a more replaceable player.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Take a look at the salaries for those positions. Michael Brockers makes $9 million a year.

Same with Tight Ends. Proven veteran TEs are hard to find and keep in the NFL.
C'mon man your saying Williams can get $10 million guaranteed on his next deal. You can't be serious. His entire career he's only gotten $3 million in guaranteed money. That's over 8 years.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
C'mon man your saying Williams can get $10 million guaranteed on his next deal. You can't be serious. His entire career he's only gotten $3 million in guaranteed money. That's over 8 years.

20 Tight ends in the NFL right now have $10+ million guaranteed on their current contracts. 14 have more than $15 million guaranteed.

I don't think that Maxx Williams would get $10 million per year on his next deal, but I could imagine him getting a slightly sweeter deal than Mo Alie-Cox just got. Alie-Cox has never had more than 400 receiving yards in a season.

Three years, $15 million, $10 guaranteed if Williams gets 500 yards and 4 TDs is not outside the realm of the possible.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have a different list, and only DJ would be on mine.

1. Vance Joseph - The only one of the major staff not given an extension. He needs to prove he can lead this defense.
2. Kyler Murray - After this offseason, whether he gets paid or not, he needs to be show he can lead this team.
3. DJ Hump - Pretty much agree what you said.
4. Marcus Golden - Pretty much on him to produce sacks, may even be double teamed.
5. Simmons/Collins - These two directly relate to how Vance does bringing them into the team. Vance's success might depend on these two being successful as well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I will happily put money on Allen not getting close to $10m. Fotukasi just got $10m and Allen isn't close unless he suddenly takes off this year. I can't think of a more replaceable player.
Fotukasi...a player who offers next to nothing in pass rush department AND plays less snaps.

You're proving my point.