Fitz as a mentor

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From time to time the topic comes up of whether Larry Fitzgerald is a good mentor who can improve young or immature WRs on the team. Here are a few quotes from an article a few days ago that addressing this issue:

Fitz Tutors Smoke And Dre, And Friday Before The Bills
"I think the biggest thing he told me I'll never forget when I got there, he told me to always treat every year like you're a rookie," Roberts said. "I think that's one thing I've kept with me my whole career."

"I'm just thankful to have the opportunity to play there and be around one of the great receivers of all-time, who will definitely be a first-ballot Hall of Famer," Brown said. "Not just for on the field issues but learning things off the field. He developed me into a better man in a lot of situations."

Roberts, still friends with Fitz, said he's worked out with current Cardinals wideouts Christian Kirk and Trent Sherfield – "some young guys (Fitz) has taken under his wing and helped them grow." Brown has done with rookie Bills receiver Gabe Davis the same thing Fitz once did with him, inviting him to stay with him for a time in the offseason to show him how to be a pro.

"There are a lot of guys who have come through that I have tried to help and for some reason they didn't want to hear it or had their own plan," Fitzgerald said. "Smoke was one of those guys who always asked questions. It makes it worthwhile to know you can try to have a positive influence on guys."

...dave

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The guy is a father figure to a lot of young men in this league.

Hopefully he is around to coach and be involved in the Front Office at some level when his he hangs it up

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hope our young receivers are tapping into Larry's knowledge and experience. I still believe Andy and Keyshawn can develop into contributors.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Smoke probably disappears long before the NFL if he didn’t have that coachable attitude..... good for him

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy is a father figure to a lot of young men in this league.

Hopefully he is around to coach and be involved in the Front Office at some level when his he hangs it up

I don't see him getting into the grind of coaching. He already owns multiple businesses. He is obsessed with exotic travel adventures. I see him most likely getting into broadcasting, if anything is to do with the NFL.

But, who knows? Maybe he really misses being around the game after a year or two out of it.

PlanoCard

Rookie
Reaction score
What's interesting is that Hopkins isn't known for having the greatest work ethic when it comes to practicing, but is obviously a guy that shows up BIG TIME on Sundays or game day. It's possible that Larry could even rub off on him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson