Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
1. They’ve got a place kicker
2. Kupp still can’t be covered
3. They have a very aggressive secondary
4. Their O-Line looked medium at best
5. They can be hurt with short, quick passes
6. Their conditioning looked questionable, Super Bowl Hangover?
7. They will pass first to set up their running game. The Cards have to find a way to get pressure
8. I’d trap block Donald frequently. Head up you can’t stop him, even if you double-team him.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Passing every down can’t be sustained - just like cards - hoping 1-3 downs is 10 yards or a penalty non consistent, no continuit.

No preseason for starters - shows , sloppy 2nd rate football. But guess all teams will suck the same till they hit their season prime about the 4th game - will matter as much as the last game of the season, sometimes more!

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bills had 3 turnovers & still were tied. Otherwise, Rams would have been down 21 at the half. Bills manhandled them all night & should have scored 50. One thing is certain. I wouldn’t want to be the team the Rams play next week. Another certainty is that unlike Kingsbury, McVay’s team will improve throughout the season.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bills had 3 turnovers & still were tied. Otherwise, Rams would have been down 21 at the half. Bills manhandled them all night & should have scored 50. One thing is certain. I wouldn’t want to be the team the Rams play next week. Another certainty is that unlike Kingsbury, McVay’s team will improve throughout the season.
I'll add to that, McDermott ( sp) double teamed Aaron Donald all night, unlike us. Blows me away that we never seem to do that or if we do, then we suck at it cause he's always in our backfield. Other than the one sack where Donald kind of threw Allen to the ground, he wasn't a factor at all. Donald should be doubled on every play & so should Kupp, make someone else beat you. To be fair, the Rams were missing Jefferson which probably would've helped. The Rams are definitely not the same team without Von Miler & OBJ, too bad we'll have half our team missing when we play them in 3 weeks. A quarter of the team is hurt right now & they haven't played a snap yet, imagine what the injury report will look like in 3 weeks lol?

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'll add to that, McDermott ( sp) double teamed Aaron Donald all night, unlike us. Blows me away that we never seem to do that or if we do, then we suck at it cause he's always in our backfield. Other than the one sack where Donald kind of threw Allen to the ground, he wasn't a factor at all. Donald should be doubled on every play & so should Kupp, make someone else beat you. To be fair, the Rams were missing Jefferson which probably would've helped. The Rams are definitely not the same team without Von Miler & OBJ, too bad we'll have half our team missing when we play them in 3 weeks. A quarter of the team is hurt right now & they haven't played a snap yet, imagine what the injury report will look like in 3 weeks lol?
I totally agree with you that Donald needs to be double teamed at all time. However, Bills didn't actually do that all the time. I can count at least 10 times Donald left one on one with either the guard or the tackle, and Donald beat the man more than half of those snaps but Allen threw the ball out so quick to negate the pass rush. What I have noticed was that there was always a quick slant route from the slot position in those snaps. It seem Bills were baiting Donald to rush and clear the passing lane for the slant.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m curious why you always slander Kingsbury & Vance, but never Keim?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No he didn't. He left him single coverage quite a bit. When he did though, they schemed to get the ball out of Allen's hands as soon as possible. That is something that we don't do.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that jumped out in the 2nd half was man did Buffalo have the Rams scouted well. Aside from the picks they got, the linemen and LB's had 2 more that could have been picks that they dropped. They really seemed to have a tell or something you could see how frustrated Stafford was they were really locked into him on those passes.

The big difference to me was the Rams couldn't run the ball, 2.9 YPC and that meant that they didn't have to load the box. I hate Collinsworth but he was right the Rams didn't have to get out of that deep zone because the Rams couldn't run it so they took away the deep stuff Stafford wants to throw and then sat on the underneath stuff. Kupp of course was great but nobody else hurt them. With us we always seem to struggle to stop their run game so everything else works for them too.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry, any change in your second half impressions?
One overall observation; until they started to throw deep, Allen’s average release time was 2.2 seconds. He was accurate enough for the most part to throw successfully into tight windows. His receivers did a great job of getting quick separation. If Kingsbury can get the Cards offense to replicate that, they would be hard to stop. Can Murray be that decisive and that accurate? It takes composure under pressure.

I did think the announcers were correct that Miller’s play enhanced the rush by the other players. Even when Jones didn’t get home he had to be accounted for. I’m not sure the Cards can replicate that pressure with their current compliment of players.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Donald getting doubled on multiple plays.

Sure, but he didn't get doubled all night long. There were many plays where he wasn't. Collinsworth even did a piece on how fast Allen the ball out of his hands when they only single covered Allen.

Reaction score
I totally agree with you that Donald needs to be double teamed at all time. However, Bills didn't actually do that all the time. I can count at least 10 times Donald left one on one with either the guard or the tackle, and Donald beat the man more than half of those snaps but Allen threw the ball out so quick to negate the pass rush. What I have noticed was that there was always a quick slant route from the slot position in those snaps. It seem Bills were baiting Donald to rush and clear the passing lane for the slant.
Hernandez. That's one of the reasons why we picked him up imo.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sure, but he didn't get doubled all night long. There were many plays where he wasn't. Collinsworth even did a piece on how fast Allen the ball out of his hands when they only single covered Allen.
Yes I saw Allen get rid of the ball quickly. Maybe all night long was a stretch? However, I saw him get double teamed & I guess my question is why do we not double team him? He's always in our backfield, I know he's amazing & all but he should be accounted for by our OL more than anyone. I still have night visions of him during the Wild card game lol.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes I saw Allen get rid of the ball quickly. Maybe all night long was a stretch? However, I saw him get double teamed & I guess my question is why do we not double team him? He's always in our backfield, I know he's amazing & all but he should be accounted for by our OL more than anyone. I still have night visions of him during the Wild card game lol.
One of the reasons we probably didn't double Donald, last year was that they also had Miller.